Famous people you have met.

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
Anybody ever hear of Donnie Iris?

We went to school together from kindergarten into college.

Quite a character.
Hmm..familiar. was he a singer in a doo-wop group? From Pittsburgh, maybe?
Old 09-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by naneiben View Post
Hmm..familiar. was he a singer in a doo-wop group? From Pittsburgh, maybe?
Dominic Ierace, AKA Donnie Iris was the lead singer for the Jaggerz. Hit song in 1970, The Rapper
Old 09-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Dominic Ierace, AKA Donnie Iris was the lead singer for the Jaggerz. Hit song in 1970, The Rapper
I loved that song!
Old 09-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
We knew a vocalist/drummer/bassist for the Jaggerz, Bill Maybray. They were from north of Pittsburgh, he and his wife--New Brighton. his wife worked for my husband in Grand Rapids in the late '90s. He passed away in 2004 at age 60.

We babysat their black lab, Bo Peep, for a week. Our kids let her get out of the house (they were "famous" themselves--for that), but she was a slow mover.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Sage

Ok, I never met anybody famous, but I did watch Steve Spurrier QB for the Gators his senior year, 66, at UF. I must've been in 9th grade, and was way more impressed with Paul McCartney on Ed Sullivan.
Kitty
edit, edit, edit! I met Jesus in 1974.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Platinum member

I met Lee Marvin one night at the radio station in Lubbock. He and Jerry Coleman, the DJ, had just had a "foot race". Don't remember who won, though. He was a really nice man and HUGE! He had to duck to come in the door!

I went to school with Mac Davis (his sister and I ran around together); school with Ralna English (Lawrence Welk & Branson) (we took voice from the same teacher, too); Barry Corbin (he most always comes to our class reunions if he's not filming); Buddy Holly and The Crickets (dated the drummer Jerry Allison, who lived across the street from us; still have all his letters he wrote to me); E.J. Holub (KC Chiefs) study hall together; Gene Watson (country singer and a close friend of one of my friends); Sonny Curtis (songwriter & current member of The Crickets); many others who were in and out of the Allison's when we were all there doing "jam sessions".

I saved the best for last: my brother, Ernie Hall. He was the drummer for David Box and The Ravens. Like Buddy Holly, David was killed in a plane crash just as his career was taking hold. I lost my brother three years ago and still miss him so much to this very day. (Jerry, J.I. as he's called now by most, spent countless hours at the hospital with him.) Their bass player was Lynn Bailey (Father B), who is now a Lutheran minister (go figure), and their sax player was Robert Keys who, last I heard, is still in the music business.

So many great memories, great stories, and friends.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 09-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Platinum member

It had to be about 1963 when we met the members of the opening act for the rock group called the Fenways.

Some friends and I were backstage at the KDKA TV studio in Pittsburgh where a DJ, Clark Race, did a kind of local version of American Bandstand.

We had never heard of the opening act but they were from England. Their names?--Mick Jagger, Brian Jones, Keith Richards and Bill Wyman. Yep, the Rolling Stones!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
It had to be about 1963 when we met the members of the opening act for the rock group called the Fenways.

Some friends and I were backstage at the KDKA TV studio in Pittsburgh where a DJ, Clark Race, did a kind of local version of American Bandstand.

We had never heard of the opening act but they were from England. Their names?--Mick Jagger, Brian Jones, Keith Richards and Bill Wyman. Yep, the Rolling Stones!
Was a little later than '63. Stones first came to America in June of '64.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Platinum member
Red face

Ok. I stand corrected on the year. I just remember being in high school.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Ok. I stand corrected on the year. I just remember being in high school.
Great memory. the Fenways backed up The Vogues on their hit, "You're the One". Had a couple local hits also
Old 09-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

Great memory. I had forgotten about Clark Race. graduated high school in Pgh. 1965.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:06 PM

I took care of Gloria Gainer after her knee surgery .I'm a nurse I also took care of yogi's Berra,s wife he was very kind. A signed autographs for all the patients and staff
and once met woody Allen on the hospital elevator
I meet Reba as a result of winning a radio contest I had to sing one of her songs
also met brook&Dun at the same time as they were touring with Reba at the time
Old 10-09-2013, 09:42 AM

Robert Redford- Year 2000- He lives in Sundance, Utah and I saw him in a grocery store in Provo, Utah. We both grabbed a can of baked beans at the same time. He apologized and went about his business. When I was leaving the store I met him in the parking lot and asked for an autograph. He was nice enough to have a picture of us together.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default I met

Ted Klusewski's wife Eleanor was a patient of mine in Cincinnati. He accompanied her to every treatment. Yes, his arms were larger than life. I see why he had to cut out his sleeves.
I also met Pete Rose when I was with my Uncle (only 2 years older than I) on Thanksgiving evening in a Sandy's restaurant. He wanted to know why Uncle Mike had two good looking girls with him and he had none. What a jerk.
I met JFK when he visited Cincinnati. Along with girls from my high school I did crowd control. He stopped and said hi and shook our hands. Talk about 15 mins.....

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Gold member

I think I'm coming to this thread a little late, but thought I should add my list. I worked in radio for the better part of 30 years and had the opportunity to meet and introduce many national acts. Kenny Rogers, Gloria Estefan, Huey Lewis, Michael Bolton, Bruce Hornsby, George Michael, Hall & Oates, The Moody Blues, Natile Cole, Tommy James, Petula Clark, Johnny Rivers, David Clayton Thomas, Chubby Checker, Gary Lewis (of the Playboys), The Contours, The Coasters and the biggest name, Sir Paul McCartney! Best part is I have the pictures to prove it, all nice memories. Also right after college, I was working private security and got to sit and hang out in Sammy Davis Jr's suite while he was performing at Pine Knob (just North of Detroit) He toured with all his jewelry and all his movies on VHS...he was also a gourmet chef and traveled with a fully equipped kitchen. He was very nice, tipped very well and was VERY short, under 5 ft tall I think.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.