Favorite Charity or Good Cause

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2020, 06:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts
Default Favorite Charity or Good Cause

I'm not a big fan of most charities, especially those that pay huge salaries to the principal officers. If they do, I rule them out, although, I don't know if I can trust the mandated Federal financial disclosures. My current significant heir is the Saint Jude Children's Research Hospital. Is that a good choice? What is your favorite cause?
Old 12-01-2020, 06:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm not a big fan of most charities, especially those that pay huge salaries to the principal officers. If they do, I rule them out, although, I don't know if I can trust the mandated Federal financial disclosures. My current significant heir is the Saint Jude Children's Research Hospital. Is that a good choice? What is your favorite cause?
Locally, Your Humane Society, a no kill animal shelter in Lake Panasoffkee. I've found them to be reputable and they group works hard for the animals who are in need.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Mine is the Salvation Army. 40 almost 50 years ago I remember fighting fires in some real cold / freezing temperatures. The only one there besides us firefighters and the cops were The Salvation Army giving out hot coffee. And they are far from being overpaid! I am happy to help them help others in need.
I wouldn't give a nickel to the Red Cross. Look up what the President and CEO makes in salary and benefits. And they tried to sell me a cup of coffee when I was in the military.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:02 PM
John41

Quote:
We have three on our Christmas list for money gifts
Humane Society Lake Panasoffkee
Humane Society Stuart Florida
Endangered Animal Rescue Sanctuary Ocala

Others we donate items to their thrift store
Haven Women’s Shelter
Humane Society Ocala
Salvation Army
Habitat for Humanity
Old 12-01-2020, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Several such as Make a Wish, American Cancer Society, St Jude and American Heart Assoc.

Used to give to March of Dimes until I found out how they spend their donations.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We support food pantries and soup kitchens monthly, one here and one in our former Michigan town. Aside from Best Friends Animal Society and Americares, I like to support small charities. My grand niece attends a Spanish immersion school in Oakland CA that has a fundraiser every year for needs of the children in the school who come from poverty. I always do the food donation things run by Winn-Dixie. That kind of thing. I like to save some money out for helping victims of or responders to natural disasters. Last year it was the wildfires in Australia (our son and DIL live there).
Old 12-01-2020, 08:32 PM
Sage

My favorites for nationally known charities are feedingamerica.org, The Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity and St. Jude's Children's Hospital
Old 12-01-2020, 08:52 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

St Jude for me
Old 12-02-2020, 05:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,359 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Mine is the Salvation Army. 40 almost 50 years ago I remember fighting fires in some real cold / freezing temperatures. The only one there besides us firefighters and the cops were The Salvation Army giving out hot coffee. And they are far from being overpaid! I am happy to help them help others in need.
I wouldn't give a nickel to the Red Cross. Look up what the President and CEO makes in salary and benefits. And they tried to sell me a cup of coffee when I was in the military.
Absolutely.
The Salvation Army, or the "Sally Anne" as we used to call them, were always first at the scene of any major incident.
A true Christian organisation.
Have so much respect for them.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:39 AM
Default The Seeing Eye in New Jersey.

The Seeing Eye in New Jersey.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:46 AM

Agree. Ours is Salvation Army.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:54 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

St Jude’s, Fisher House, Salvation Army and local food pantries are my main go to charities. I have one or two others I support when they request help but those are because they helped some people I care about when they needed help. I always do my homework to make sure that almost all donations are used to support their users vs staff salaries and fund raising. I like to see 90% or higher used to help those they support.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Gary Sinise foundation is high on my list. I’ve done my research as well to make sure the money is well spent. Wonderful reputable organization...
Old 12-02-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:

CorgiAid
Old 12-02-2020, 06:24 AM

Dachshund Rescue of North America. All money goes to medical bills for the dogs.
Closed Thread

Tags
favorite, good, current, trust, mandated

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.