Finally Had Enough of Comcast

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2021, 12:42 PM
Default Finally Had Enough of Comcast

When I tried to continue a recorded program that I began last night, I found it and most of the programs I have recorded over the years had disappeared overnight. Tried to have technical services help but they said the programs had disappeared from the cloud. My DVR only has 19% being used. Her suggestion was to either buy the movies or record them again. Not possible since many were from commercial channels or not available any more. So, tomorrow I plan to bid Comcast adieu. We could return to Direct Tv but we also need internet and a landline. How is Spectrum? We are not interested in “cutting the cord” or some of the other methods some people choose to use. My sister did that and by the time she subscribed to the streaming services, it costs her more than before and she has less. I think Spectrum and Direct Tv are the only options for where we live. Looking for feedback from people who use either of those. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:50 PM
Veteran member

I haven’t tried it yet but some people are having luck with T-Mobile 5G internet. You could then use something like Hulu + Live for your tv channels.

I have Spectrum internet and it seems to work fine down here in DeSoto. I don’t use their tv package though, too expensive and I don’t care to watch live tv/commercials.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:54 PM
Gold member

I use Comcast for internet only. Negotiated yearly, for 12+ years, and currently paying $40/mo ($50 less $10 for auto pay). Speed at 117 Mbps. I’ve been with DirecTv for the same time, and also annually with threatening to change, I am able to negotiate a reasonable price. Your “landline” with Comcast is internet based so it’s basically a cellular phone restricted to your house. If you feel you must have the home line there are numerous VoIP providers that offer that service only for the same or less that Comcast charges in it’s Bundle.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:32 PM
Veteran member

I also use Comcast for internet only - $30 per month. Tried YouTubeTV for the unlimited DVR but when the price went to $65 per month, I switched to Comcast TV. Thought I could save by bundling. After less than a month, I quit Comcast TV because I wasn't getting the tech support I needed. Now I have Dish for only $20 more per month than YouTubeTV and have a lot more channels and the Hopper 3 DVR is amazing. I've had both Dish and DirecTV before and Dish is superior.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:55 PM
Gold member

I have had Direct TV here for all 9 years. They partner with Century Link for landline and DSL internet.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,678 Times in 5,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
When I tried to continue a recorded program that I began last night, I found it and most of the programs I have recorded over the years had disappeared overnight. Tried to have technical services help but they said the programs had disappeared from the cloud. My DVR only has 19% being used. Her suggestion was to either buy the movies or record them again. Not possible since many were from commercial channels or not available any more. So, tomorrow I plan to bid Comcast adieu. We could return to Direct Tv but we also need internet and a landline. How is Spectrum? We are not interested in “cutting the cord” or some of the other methods some people choose to use. My sister did that and by the time she subscribed to the streaming services, it costs her more than before and she has less. I think Spectrum and Direct Tv are the only options for where we live. Looking for feedback from people who use either of those. Thanks.
I think you are making a mistake. You are not going to improve your service by switching to another provider. I have been very satisfied with Xfinity for 5 years, with only a few issues. And, they seem to do a pretty good job with customer service. One way to keep recorded DVR programs for a long time is to download the shows to a tablet or a laptop computer. Then, you are not dependent on the cloud for stored content.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,146 Times in 2,245 Posts

This is interesting, I had my DVR die, and was told that all the recordings went with it. I got a replacement, hooked it up and the next day all the recordings were back! No idea why or how this happened.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,678 Times in 5,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
This is interesting, I had my DVR die, and was told that all the recordings went with it. I got a replacement, hooked it up and the next day all the recordings were back! No idea why or how this happened.
The newer DVRs use a combination of storage on the settop box hard drive and cloud storage. Apparently, your programs were stored, or backed up, on the cloud.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:00 AM

"We are not interested in “cutting the cord” or some of the other methods some people choose to use. My sister did that and by the time she subscribed to the streaming services, it costs her more than before and she has less."

I don't know anything about your sister's situation, but I can tell you it should not cost you more than cable cost to cut the cord. And you gain control, peace of mind not hassling with cable companies, and a better choice of programming better suited to your personal tastes. Cutting the cord is simple these days, and you should consider it as an option. Sure, the format isn't exactly like you're used to with Comcast, but in a few days you'll be fine with it...and you'll have unlimited DRV capability.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:06 AM

Keep Comcast Internet and phone and stream DirecTV:

Access Denied

Click the link, it works.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Will never go back to Spectrum. Awful experience.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Directv when you get a thunderstorm or in our case even before you get a drop of rain the signal is lost. It’s the best weather forecaster there is and the worst tv provider.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:42 AM

Spectrum is the worst! I’m leaving spectrum this week to go to xfinity. To many problems with spectrum and customer service is awful!
Old 09-13-2021, 05:42 AM
Default Comcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
We switched to Dish but left the internet with Comcast about 5 years ago and we are very happy with that arrangement. Dish has a few things the others don’t. It’s worth checking out if it’s available in your area. Good luck
Old 09-13-2021, 05:46 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
I have had Direct TV here for all 9 years. They partner with Century Link for landline and DSL internet.
Me too. for almost 8 years. And most storms DO NOT knock our Direct TV out.
It has to be a major storm then we just switch too a recorded show until the storm passes.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, recorded, services, comcast, spectrum

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.