Finally Had Enough of Comcast

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2021, 05:46 AM
Veteran member

Direct tv sucks. I don’t know about spectrum since I’ve had att fiber for 5 years before coming here, I have xfinity 400M now.
For tv service, I looked at them all: YouTube, att tv, att universe, peacock, and others and nothing comes close to dish tv. I e had dish tv for over 20 years (except for the 3 month period which I tried direct tv, so bad I paid the penalty fee and went back to dish). For streaming, I liked att tv the best. It would have been around $70 a month and it would have got close to dish network coverage and it had decent, not great, recording capabilities.
There are so many features that dish has that nobody else has: 18 simultaneous recordings, we have 3 external hard disks connected to the hopper so you can expand on the 2000 hr capability of the internal disk (we have had movies on these disks for over 10 years without any problems), 30 second skipping of commercials, great dvr capabilities, start watch a show then finish it in another room, watching movies off the dvr or receiver in a different country, have 2 devices that you can move movies to and then these battery devices can be used to play movies without internet like on a plane, remote foreign place.
The biggest drawback was the price so I told dish that if you don’t come down in your price for 2 years that comes close to att tv, I’m cancelling and leaving for good. They did just that. When my contracts up in another 13 months, I’ll take a look and see how things compare, but in the mean time, dish is providing us with all the shows we like for a price that is comparable to anyone else but I get better benefits with dish
Old 09-13-2021, 05:59 AM

Heres how it happens. A CSR (customer service rep_) gave you the information. If you call back, you sometimes get something different. Unless you speak to a supervisor….each one is trained But depending on how much knowledge the retain, or take the time to look up, is what you get. Last year I called and asked to have my serviced reconnected at an earlier date than I gave them in May. The person I was talking to told me I couldn’t do that. I said, but I can do that, he told me I couldnt. I hung up, called back and got someone who knew what they were doing and got my service restored on the new date. I worked in a call center, I am familiar with how it goes.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:01 AM

Have you tried re-booting your set-top box? I had a similar problem of missing recordings and a re-boot "found" them. Worth a try!
Old 09-13-2021, 06:08 AM

We just switched to AT&T for our TV. It’s called Direct Streaming. No box necessary. It’s an icon on your smart TV. We are saving about 80.00 per month. They will let you try it for 2 weeks. They also offer internet & landlines. We went to the Lake Sumter store. They were very helpful.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:35 AM
Default Check dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by trxi6565 View Post
Spectrum is the worst! I’m leaving spectrum this week to go to xfinity. To many problems with spectrum and customer service is awful!
Spectrum will charge you a full month if you use any part of the month. Use up all your time before you turn in the equipment.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:51 AM

I can help you with streaming as long as you have internet. It’s a great service with many channels and very reasonable
Call 352-325-2999
Old 09-13-2021, 07:14 AM

I use Comcast for internet, have Directv for my motor home but downloaded the Directv app onto my smartphone to watch everything then mirror my smartphone to my smart TV and I’ve got everything I need and more as rain doesn’t affect my signal on the phone.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:15 AM

Get a good reliable internet connection, then go with Direct TV streaming. No dishes needed, I also use internet based VoIP Phone Service | Internet Home Phone Service Provider | magicJack VoIP Phone Service for my home phone service.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieBorden View Post
Heres how it happens. A CSR (customer service rep_) gave you the information. If you call back, you sometimes get something different. Unless you speak to a supervisor….each one is trained But depending on how much knowledge the retain, or take the time to look up, is what you get. Last year I called and asked to have my serviced reconnected at an earlier date than I gave them in May. The person I was talking to told me I couldn’t do that. I said, but I can do that, he told me I couldnt. I hung up, called back and got someone who knew what they were doing and got my service restored on the new date. I worked in a call center, I am familiar with how it goes.
Yikes! With the time it takes to actually talk to a live person, if I hung up on them and called back, I’d have to allow half a day!

We’ve debated cutting the cord, but like the poster upthread, found that for the product and functionality we want, it’d cost about as much as the cable company, so we stay with xfinity. We have a cable-landline-WiFi bundle with one DVR box. The other two TVs are smart TVs, with which we can use xfinity stream to record, watch etc. We like zipping through commercials on recorded network tv programs and love the voice-activated remote. It’s still the cable company when it comes to customer service, but luckily we have very little reason to call them.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbajeda View Post
Keep Comcast Internet and phone and stream DirecTV:

Access Denied

Click the link, it works.
To me even their entry level package (essentials) is not a value. 70 bucks for 65+ basic channels. Likely with a bunch of small print fees as well.
I'm thinking OTA antenna will get most of the traditional networks. I'll stream the rest.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:17 AM

You’re making a mistake leaving Xfinity. I would stay put.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamers View Post
I can help you with streaming as long as you have internet. It’s a great service with many channels and very reasonable
Call 352-325-2999
Can you record programs with streaming only? I thought cable with a DVR was required?
Old 09-13-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhnidy View Post
Spectrum will charge you a full month if you use any part of the month. Use up all your time before you turn in the equipment.
I have spectrum in michigan. It is terrible and expensive. It was the only cable service available in our area.
They know it; so they manipulate their customers. Wife didn't want to cut the cord.
We'll be done with them next month since we sold the house this month. Yay!!
Old 09-13-2021, 07:27 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,202 Times in 464 Posts

Stopped watching TV and am going to internet streaming only. All the cable companies suck. They advertise one thing but claim it is not available in your area. All dependent on who you happen to be talking to at the time. I am committed to jumping to each best deal available when I can and with no contracts, it is easy. Every one has it’s good stories and horror stories too. Great level of incompetence. If they do not care, why should I.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:28 AM
Default I recommend Dish Network.

They have the best DVR in the industry and you can connect an external hard drive to save all your recordings as your DVR fills up. Excellent service and many programming options.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, recorded, services, comcast, spectrum

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.