Finally a reason not to play Monopoly

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2021, 09:52 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts
Default Finally a reason not to play Monopoly

I’ve always hated Monopoly. Now I have a reason why I would never play it! Thank you new woke culture!!

https://media.notthebee.com/articles...3e31d81801.jpg
Old 05-05-2021, 04:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Teachers in schools in UK are to stop calling the children 'boys and girls.'
Might upset those who are not yet sure of their gender.
You can't make this $**t up!
Old 05-05-2021, 05:24 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts
Default Taking things way too far

[QUOTE=Northwoods;1939771]I’ve always hated Monopoly. Now I have a reason why I would never play it! Thank you new woke culture!!

Of course even though we have come so far in overcoming such things, we've now taken it so far past rational actions..like this with monopoly game, we've have other examples of this throughout the history of the world. It does begin to resemble a kind of psychological phenomenon like the fabled tulip "mania". Many examples in psychology books of this kind of "swept up in it mentality" spreading because individuals fear NOT being on what is considered the "right" side of an issue, or in this case a "woke" individual. Dr. Suess wrote a great book on the subject...the star-bellied sneeches ! We need to beware of destroying innocent elements of our culture (books, games, art, even celebrations ) by seeing evil racist connections lurking in everything ...getting caught up in crowd maddness, being afraid to appear not to be on the accepted "right" side of something so we join in seeing imaginary offensive roots in everything. Beware of mass hysteria and the resulting collective mental illness.

Last edited by Pairadocs; 05-05-2021 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I’ve always hated Monopoly. Now I have a reason why I would never play it! Thank you new woke culture!!

They are ruining everything. They go around looking for issues to be offended about and the sheep will believe this nonsense.
For the love of heaven, it's just a game, people!!!!
“When you realize that to produce, you must obtain the permission from those who do not produce anything; When it is proven that the money flows to those who trade not with goods, but with favors; When you realize that many get rich by bribery and influence rather than by work. When you realize that corruption is rewarded and honesty becomes self-sacrifice; Then you can say, without fear of making mistakes, your society is doomed.”

Ayn Rand
Atlas Shrugged,1957.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts
Default Very well stated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Monopoly is designed to show that there is luck/randomness in trying amass wealth with property envy. Of course there is inequality, there always will be, its inherent in human history. And greed is a human emotion, you can't eliminate it. The question is always the degree. And monopolies approach tipping points where they implode because they cause economic instability of eliminating their customers with unaffordable prices.

Quote:
Of course even though we have come so far in overcoming such things, we've now taken it so far past rational actions..like this with monopoly game, we've have other examples of this throughout the history of the world. It does begin to resemble a kind of psychological phenomenon like the fabled tulip "mania". Many examples in psychology books of this kind of "swept up in it mentality" spreading because individuals fear NOT being on what is considered the "right" side of an issue, or in this case a "woke" individual. Dr. Suess wrote a great book on the subject...the star-bellied sneeches ! We need to beware of destroying innocent elements of our culture (books, games, art, even celebrations ) by seeing evil racist connections lurking in everything ...getting caught up in crowd maddness, being afraid to appear not to be on the accepted "right" side of something so we join in seeing imaginary offensive roots in everything. Beware of mass hysteria and the resulting collective mental illness.
very well said. . . . and to keep perspective, you can't take the craziness of others personally. . . The best book i have ever read on psychology is "If you meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill him!" if anyone has a burning desire to understand yourself or others, that book is a great place to start.

if you are respectful and fair to everyone as another human, including differing points of view which you don't have to agree with, you will be a good global citizen

sportguy
Old 05-05-2021, 06:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,295 Posts

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 05-05-2021, 06:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:

Why would play something you “hated” to begin with?
Old 05-05-2021, 06:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:

It’s about a book and the story of the Monopoly Board Game https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.thea...rticle/618098/
Old 05-05-2021, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

I love a game called Risk, it is fighting battles to conquer the world.

Wonder how long before someone complains that the game is not fair when their country or continent is conquered?

After the woke police have it taken off the shelves will people come around confiscating games that we still have?
Old 05-05-2021, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

When you attack "woke" thinking you are of course attacking one party but you're not allowed to say that here. We get the usual people jumping on the pile. The website you linked only has a jpg of a headline, not a story. The website itself is full of extreme right wing propaganda so consider the source.

Now the truth about the story is entirely different than how it is presented here as being some kind of "woke" prohibition about playing the game. If honesty and truth are in any way your goal, perhaps you might want to spend a few moments on the internet to find the original material for that jpg shot.

It comes from The Atlantic which relates the story of how the game monopoly was created, how the properties on the game board relate to the people who designed and promoted the game lived, and the racial segregation in Atlantic city at the time.

It does not say you shouldn't play the game or that the game is racist nor that its creators were racists. Rather, it uses the game to illustrate the American reality of the 1930's in a manner easy to understand. Some of the expensive properties were exclusively white even walled off, with covenants to prohibit non whites from living there. The maid for the game designer lived on Baltic, the cheapest property on the game board.

From the article:

Quote:
Although Black residents and tourists could work at hotels such as the Claridge, between Park Place and Indiana Avenue, they were not permitted to dine or lodge there. Some hotels even offered white guests the option of having only white workers wait on them. Black employment was largely limited to the tourist industry, as political and municipal jobs were reserved for white residents.
What could have been an opportunity to learn has instead on this thread been turned into another attack on a political philosophy.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:54 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

I grew up playing monopoly on our front porch in a small Midwest town in Illinois. I won many more monopoly games than I lost. The game taught me a lot about how to accumulate property and what was needed to win. Interesting enough every game was a bit different. We all started with the same amount of money and depending on the roll of dice had the opportunity to purchase various properties or pass on purchasing certain property. The roll of the dice (life’s ups and downs) often determines what property you have the opportunity to buy. It didn’t take long to determine if you were going to win the game you must purchase whatever property the roll of dice allows you to purchase. Sometimes it was the lower priced property, sometimes the middle price, and sometimes the Boardwalk/Park Place type properties. You must (if you wanted to win the game) purchase whatever the roll of the dice allowed you the opportunity to buy. Interesting, it was possible to win the game with any of the monopoly’s regardless if it was the low priced property, medium priced property or high priced property. A number of life’s financial lessons can be learned by seriously playing the game of monopoly. BTW, we usually put a time limit on the game. Attaching a certain political philosophy to the game of monopoly is a bridge too far for me to cross. I will take the “high road” and go around that bridge.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I grew up playing monopoly on our front porch in a small Midwest town in Illinois. I won many more monopoly games than I lost. The game taught me a lot about how to accumulate property and what was needed to win. Interesting enough every game was a bit different. We all started with the same amount of money and depending on the roll of dice had the opportunity to purchase various properties or pass on purchasing certain property. The roll of the dice (life’s ups and downs) often determines what property you have the opportunity to buy. It didn’t take long to determine if you were going to win the game you must purchase whatever property the roll of dice allows you to purchase. Sometimes it was the lower priced property, sometimes the middle price, and sometimes the Boardwalk/Park Place type properties. You must (if you wanted to win the game) purchase whatever the roll of the dice allowed you the opportunity to buy. Interesting, it was possible to win the game with any of the monopoly’s regardless if it was the low priced property, medium priced property or high priced property. A number of life’s financial lessons can be learned by seriously playing the game of monopoly. BTW, we usually put a time limit on the game. Attaching a certain political philosophy to the game of monopoly is a bridge too far for me to cross. I will take the “high road” and go around that bridge.
Your strategy became very obvious to me after playing a handful of times.

Amazing how some people decided they did not have enough cash to get the final piece of a monopoly (without mortgaging existing properties) and left it open.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Why would play something you “hated” to begin with?
Boom 💥! Bet they didn’t see that coming.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:02 PM
Veteran member

Gracie said, "I say that we are being paranoid on a lot of issues and we are indeed watching a real monopoly occur in Facebook who are indeed taking it upon themselves to monitor and decide what is worthy and what is right."

When I was very young and started to play monopoly, I asked why certain properties like Baltic were so cheap and was told it's because the Ns live there. We've come a long way from accepting the N word.

As we evolve and grow more intelligent, we learn things, but we still don't accept them. For example there is only one race, the human race, but we define those we don't like by weaponizing culture wars, by saying the black race, the Asian race, the white race, when we are all the same race. What separates us are our egos. The old expression of "woke" or "Wake up" means for one to become self-aware, questioning the dominant paradigm and striving for something better."

Facebook is a corporation, but unlike most businesses, which truly have become monopolies, via destroying competition in order to form conglomerates, Facebook is nowhere close to a monopoly, unless they also owned twitter, Tik Tok, etc. If you don't believe Facebook doesn't have a right to make the rules for their corporation, then I challenge you to go to a restaurant without a top and bare footed and see what they say to you.

Tags
reason, play, monopoly, culture, woke

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.