Finally took 301 to go around the DC traffic jam

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2021, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,898 Times in 913 Posts
Default Finally took 301 to go around the DC traffic jam

The 301 route through Delaware and then around DC to avoid the 95 traffic jam is a great route.

We had dinner at the Horns roadside restaurant. Listened to the table beside us, as the convicted felon in Virginia and Texas told his tale of woe to a lady friend.

The saddest part was that he had no intentions of going to his court dates, and after he got out, purchased fake identification and headed to FL. . .

ggg rrrrr eeeee aaaaaaaa tttttt !!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2021, 12:18 PM

Where did you pick it up from on 95 and where did you get back onto 95? And about how long was that stretch? I'd like an alternative in case the timing isn't right for when I get to that area. TIA
Old 12-20-2021, 02:47 PM
Sage
Default Details on the 301 Balimore/Washington DC bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
Where did you pick it up from on 95 and where did you get back onto 95? And about how long was that stretch? I'd like an alternative in case the timing isn't right for when I get to that area. TIA
Northbound 95 got off in Virginia at Route 207/301, exit 104.
Then take 50/301 East over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to Delaware.
Then 301 North to 1/13 North to 95 in Christiana, DE, which is lightly traveled, and can manage 65 MPH very easily, even during the day.

This route avoids Baltimore, Washington DC, and 95 between 495 DC loop and Fredericksburg, VA, which is all under construction, and slow no matter what day we have driven through the area during the day. also highly prone to accidents with the amount of stop and go traffic.

good luck!
Old 12-20-2021, 03:32 PM

Good to know and I think we'll try it. When we drive north our usual overnight stop is Ashland VA, just south of Kings Dominion and the route you took. There's a dog friendly hotel with a Dunkin right next door. We don't usually do the drive during weekdays but will be this year. It's about 2.5 hours to Baltimore from Ashland and that would put us through DC and Baltimore right in the middle of the morning commute.
Old 12-20-2021, 06:50 PM
Sage
Default We leave at 5 AM, with two drivers and a 600mi tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
Good to know and I think we'll try it. When we drive north our usual overnight stop is Ashland VA, just south of Kings Dominion and the route you took. There's a dog friendly hotel with a Dunkin right next door. We don't usually do the drive during weekdays but will be this year. It's about 2.5 hours to Baltimore from Ashland and that would put us through DC and Baltimore right in the middle of the morning commute.
We can get to DE by 8 PM, with a premade sandwich for lunch stop, when fueling up at noon, and switching off drivers every 3-5 hours. . .

the issue is the bio breaks depending upon amount of coffee drunk, most times in and out bio breaks. .

and remember, 1 idiot can ruin your voyage. . . we saw a couple of them on the other side of the highway heading south. . .
Old 12-20-2021, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,030 Times in 2,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
The 301 route through Delaware and then around DC to avoid the 95 traffic jam is a great route.

We had dinner at the Horns roadside restaurant. Listened to the table beside us, as the convicted felon in Virginia and Texas told his tale of woe to a lady friend.

The saddest part was that he had no intentions of going to his court dates, and after he got out, purchased fake identification and headed to FL. . .

ggg rrrrr eeeee aaaaaaaa tttttt !!!!!!!
Just curious, did you notice any construction related traffic jams on 95 going southbound, south of Fredericksburg, VA. We are heading to the Villages soon and still going back and forth on which route we will take. Thanks : )
Old 12-20-2021, 08:57 PM
Sage
Default southbound, not really. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Just curious, did you notice any construction related traffic jams on 95 going southbound, south of Fredericksburg, VA. We are heading to the Villages soon and still going back and forth on which route we will take. Thanks : )
There is some construction south of Richmond down to Emporia, but there was not much of a slow down, just narrow lanes with the shoulders closed. North bound, we came through at closing time, so there was a long wait for the machinery to clear

Best I can remember, as we took 295 around Richmond, as there was a crash in
richmond when we drove through on Friday. .
Old 12-20-2021, 09:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,030 Times in 2,727 Posts

Quote:
There is some construction south of Richmond down to Emporia, but there was not much of a slow down, just narrow lanes with the shoulders closed. North bound, we came through at closing time, so there was a long wait for the machinery to clear

Best I can remember, as we took 295 around Richmond, as there was a crash in
richmond when we drove through on Friday. .
Great, thanks for the update : ) We always take the 295 east loop around Richmond. Looks like we will cut over from 81 and hit 95 in Fredericksburg this trip instead of taking 77. Just booked the pet friendly hotel at our trips halfway point. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:58 AM

Try to avoid RT 301 North across the Harry Nice Bridge (Potomac River) on Sunday evenings. Used to live there and it always backed up going from 4-lane highway to a 2-lane bridge. Toll is Southbound. Waldorf can be sticky, but those of you who are adventurous can go up the backroads through Amish country, across Patuxent River to Rt 4/ Rt 2 to Annapolis.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:12 AM

Maybe he was gaslighting you……when he saw you were eavesdropping….. he probably had a good laugh with his chicky …..
Old 12-21-2021, 09:09 AM

The timing is never right from Richmond to the NJ line
Old 12-21-2021, 09:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyre View Post
The timing is never right from Richmond to the NJ line
And if you have to take the route further into New England the Ct Turnpike aka i-95. It's a nightmare too. We now get off i-95 to i-26 to i-77 to i81 to i-84, then into Rhode Island. We are done with i-95 in the north.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
And if you have to take the route further into New England the Ct Turnpike aka i-95. It's a nightmare too. We now get off i-95 to i-26 to i-77 to i81 to i-84, then into Rhode Island. We are done with i-95 in the north.
Have you considered going through Harrisburg, I 78, Tappen Zee Bridge? Avoids NYC, Delaware Bridge, Baltimore tunnels and much of DC beltway.
Longer, but cheaper and faster.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:08 AM
Default Route north on I-95

I'm disgusted to tell you the beautiful Tappan Zee Bridge has been renamed the Mario Cuomo Bridge. But us real New Yorkers always refer to it as the Tappan Zee.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Northbound 95 got off in Virginia at Route 207/301, exit 104.
Then take 50/301 East over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to Delaware.
Then 301 North to 1/13 North to 95 in Christiana, DE, which is lightly traveled, and can manage 65 MPH very easily, even during the day.

This route avoids Baltimore, Washington DC, and 95 between 495 DC loop and Fredericksburg, VA, which is all under construction, and slow no matter what day we have driven through the area during the day. also highly prone to accidents with the amount of stop and go traffic.

good luck!
We take this route also it’s a great alternative when traffic builds up on 95 but sometimes route 50 gets busy
Closed Thread

Tags
traffic, jam, route, intentions, friend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.