Fire Stick

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2018, 07:07 AM
Default Fire Stick

Can someone explain to me what a fire stick dose. It is advertised to replace cable service, however apparently you must also subscribe to other services. If I'm currently paying $120.00 for cable service; what would my monthly cost be if I purchased a fire stick? Presuming I get about the same number of channels I currently get.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:20 AM
Sage

Amazon Firesticks, and similar devices such as Roku boxes/sticks and AppleTVs, are hardware/software that allow you to access content via the internet on your TV. They typically connect to your router via WiFi. Some of the content is free but others, such as Netflix, HuluTV, YouTubeTV, Amazon Prime, etc., have fees. Your cost depends on which services you subscribe to. I suggest you do some Googling to find more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtB View Post
Can someone explain to me what a fire stick dose. It is advertised to replace cable service, however apparently you must also subscribe to other services. If I'm currently paying $120.00 for cable service; what would my monthly cost be if I purchased a fire stick? Presuming I get about the same number of channels I currently get.

Last edited by biker1; 08-20-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:48 PM
Gold member

Below is a link that will explain the sites you can receive with a Firestick. The firestick enables you to receive the streaming plan of your choice.

Best live TV streaming plans: YouTube TV vs. DirecTV Now vs. Sling TV | Clark Howard
Old 08-20-2018, 11:47 PM
Gold member

Just fixed a friend up with a 2018 model TCL Roku 4K TV for $350 from Amazon - with YouTube TV at $40 per month...Can't beat that

Amazon Fire can get you to many streaming sites as well.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

For me the issues of "streaming" VS cable/satellite are all about convenience.

With all the streaming devices, it seems to me, a lot of continual hunting and pecking to find what one wants to watch that is not as organized as services with programming guides.

Then there is the issue of DVR capability. We watch almost no direct or live programming and record as much as possible. DVR for streaming is still evolving.

Then there is the issue of having to subscribe to various streaming providers to get the programming one seeks.

For me, streaming is still evolving. It is sort of like ala carte but having to go to different restaurants to get all one wants to get an entire meal.

Eventually the pricing on streaming will increase as more viewers wants are addressed. And I suspect/hope the cable/dish providers will moderate pricing some to stop the viewer flight.

We have many friends and family that enjoy the so called freedom of streaming. We, for now, will remain with the convenience that many years experience has come to provide from the non-streaming sources.

Interesting to watch where it all trends toward.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

Yes, convenience is how the cable companies get you pay their ever rising fees. It's like paying someone to change the oil in your car or doing it yourself. It's covenant, but you pay for that and for some people (maybe most) they don't mind. I've been a "do-it-your-selfer" for most of my life. So when a friend showed me the Firestick, I was a little slow to adopt it, but now I only pay for internet.

If you're willing to do a little work you can save a lot of money. I hear too often "I can't learn that, I'm too old", BS! You're never too old to learn, you just have to want to.

To save even more money from the cable company, buy your own modem and router, they will pay for themselves in just over a year. Get a TV antenna, either inside you attic or outside (Yes, they are allowed here) then you get a crystal clear picture.

Don't want to go cold turkey? Get a Firestick and try it out. Get something like Sling, Roku, Hulu or some other service like these (Google "Cutting the cord").

On another issue, are you tired of putting up with Windows? Get a Chromebook and never worry about getting a virus, or updates or losing files. Safe, Simple, Secure.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Most people are still getting their internet service through a cable. So, the streaming services do not really eliminate the cable. The streaming services are offering low prices to compete with cable tv. However, eventually, I believe that you will pay for the content you want to watch, and how you get it will not determine the price. For now, cable tv is easier to use and more reliable, but more costly.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

The other site had a story 2 days ago about the VHA putting on an encore presentation of "Cutting the Cord from Cable TV Providers". They are going to do it 3 more times and places in Aug.(this month)

Last time they turned people away for lack of seating space. This will be the same as last time - first come - first served. You have to be a VHA member also.

Learn from experts about the evolving marketplace for entertainment alternatives (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Sling TV, Huku, Roku and others), what equipment you need to access them, and a host of related topics like television set options and antenna options.

The programs will be offered at:

• 1 p.m. Sat. Aug. 25 at Paradise Rec. Center

• 6:30 p.m. Thurs. Aug. 30 at Mulberry Grove Rec. Center

• 1 p.m. Friday Aug. 31 at La Hacienda Rec. Center

Old 08-21-2018, 09:10 AM
Sage

YouTubeTV has a "traditional" programming guide. Pretty much looks just like any of the "cable" services. It also has DVR in the cloud. You don't need a box with a hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
For me the issues of "streaming" VS cable/satellite are all about convenience.

With all the streaming devices, it seems to me, a lot of continual hunting and pecking to find what one wants to watch that is not as organized as services with programming guides.

Then there is the issue of DVR capability.
We watch almost no direct or live programming and record as much as possible. DVR for streaming is still evolving.

Then there is the issue of having to subscribe to various streaming providers to get the programming one seeks.

For me, streaming is still evolving. It is sort of like ala carte but having to go to different restaurants to get all one wants to get an entire meal.

Eventually the pricing on streaming will increase as more viewers wants are addressed. And I suspect/hope the cable/dish providers will moderate pricing some to stop the viewer flight.

We have many friends and family that enjoy the so called freedom of streaming. We, for now, will remain with the convenience that many years experience has come to provide from the non-streaming sources.

Interesting to watch where it all trends toward.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:13 AM
Sage

Roku is not really a "service" like Hulu. While there are some Roku "channels", it is really a hardware/software environment that provides you access to services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, HuluTV, YouTubeTV, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Don't want to go cold turkey? Get a Firestick and try it out. Get something like Sling, Roku, Hulu or some other service like these (Google "Cutting the cord").

Last edited by biker1; 08-21-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:17 AM
Sage

You can't claim that "cable TV" is more reliable than streaming services. If there is a problem with internet access then "cable TV" is most likely impacted also. "Cable TV" is really nothing more than packets of data coming down the same pipe as internet traffic.

Easier to use? While that is certainly subjective, I doubt anyone would notice much of a difference between using "cable TV" and YouTubeTV. Netflix has a very easy to use interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Most people are still getting their internet service through a cable. So, the streaming services do not really eliminate the cable. The streaming services are offering low prices to compete with cable tv. However, eventually, I believe that you will pay for the content you want to watch, and how you get it will not determine the price. For now, cable tv is easier to use and more reliable, but more costly.

Last edited by biker1; 08-21-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

My neighbor just came over to say he's getting Fire TV, not Fire Stick. It comes with a box and costs $100 a month. He said he saw it at a friend's house and it gets every channel out there, even local channels in Boston and New York and NFL Sunday Ticket. I told him, that didn't sound legal. I have Directv with everything and it costs about $180 a month. So the convenience is costing me about $80 a month. I figure as a retiree I don't need any aggravation, so I'll stay with Directv for now until I see something just as convenient. Maybe my neighbor is onto something, I'll wait and see.

I have a TV in a guest BR connected to an O-T-A antenna and gets about 30 channels. If I to watch just those 30 channels the rest of my life, I would sell my TV.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:24 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

I rented an apartment in Boston area and it had only an Amazon Fire stick with two prescribed services. One was Amazon Prime which cot about $10/Mo on a yearly basis This service gives Amazon free shipping as well as Movies and Music. The second was Play Station Vue which offers channel packages similar to Comcast. My Comcast package is the starter package which costs around $110 a month when you include two digital adapters and a $7 broadcast TV fee and $7 for a sports transmission fee. I think they advertised a $79 cost.

The Play Station Vue package that seems to be similar to the Comcast Starter package is $50. The interesting point is that you can take this service with you if you have more than one residence. Thus no need for Comcast or other in each residence. You can even share on a limited number of residenses.

I bought three fire sticks and am connecting them now. Just trying to check the streaming capability since I have a feeble Century Link Internet provider. I am told that if too many devices connected buffering may occur. So far after five days , no problem. I even think I am getting hi Def.

However, the programs I get are no better. SOS
Old 08-22-2018, 03:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
You can't claim that "cable TV" is more reliable than streaming services. If there is a problem with internet access then "cable TV" is most likely impacted also. "Cable TV" is really nothing more than packets of data coming down the same pipe as internet traffic.

Easier to use? While that is certainly subjective, I doubt anyone would notice much of a difference between using "cable TV" and YouTubeTV. Netflix has a very easy to use interface.
My Comcast internet service has gone out many times when I still have cable TV. I have had many more internet outages than cable TV outages. In fact, I just had an internet outage yesterday, but the cable TV still worked. The Comcast cable TV service is not dependant on the internet service, except that they use the same incoming cable to the house. In fact, you can actually turn off or disconnect the Comcast modem and still have their cable TV service.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 08-22-2018 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:10 AM
Sage

That's interesting. It is extremely rare to have internet outages with CenturyLink. You might want to consider a different, more reliable provider. More contemporary services such as the IPTV offerings treat everything as IP packets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My Comcast internet service has gone out many times when I still have cable TV. I have had many more internet outages than cable TV outages. In fact, I just had an internet outage yesterday, but the cable TV still worked. The Comcast cable TV service is not dependant on the internet service, except that they use the same incoming cable to the house. In fact, you can actually turn off or disconnect the Comcast modem and still have their cable TV service.
Closed Thread

Tags
fire, stick, cable, $120.00, monthly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.