First home showing in Ohio

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Veteran member
Default 6 weeks, not 4 <g>

Gracie,

As Sgt. Friday used to say on the TV show 'Dragnet,' "Just the facts, mam."

I predict your Ohio house will sell in 6 weeks (not 4).

I think your Realtor walk-thru tomorrow will certainly open the eyes of those participating. If there are buyers in your price range, your beautiful house will SELL. Your perfect move-in condition will elicit response!

Gene & Kathy
Save us a spot in TV!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:18 AM

I don't even know you and I feel awful for you! So annoying ... what is so hard about making a phone call and cancelling. Gheesh! Best wishes for a sale ... SOON!

Hope we get to meet when we finally are able to start building ourselves. So not looking forward to the process of selling our NY home though.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Gold member

Dear Gracie- I am also keeping my fingers crossed for you and keeping you in our prayers. We have lots of room for house selling prayers since we took ours off the market. Nothing is moving up here in the mountains and I found it physically impossible to keep it in showing condition and pack at the same time. Can not be done. We will rent it for awhile and maybe put it back on the market in a year or two. Hubby is even thinking about keeping it to come back to in the summer. But in any case, good luck...your place sounds amazing.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

[QUOTE=graciegirl;358264]
I fear that I will be pulling weeds wherever I walk in TV and maybe wiping off my friends counters. One of my good friends has already suggested that I may be up for cleanaholics anonymous. Using oil on the gazebo is making her mighty worried.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
and Gracie......that friend that has you worried about being a cleanaholic....well, maybe she has some issues herself.
Is there such a thing as a swimaholic?
Good luck with your house. It's gonna sell. I can feel it in my bones.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:47 AM

Gracie: Our wish for you is that the first showee proves to be the one who becomes a buyer. We put our home on the market three weeks ago and had a number of lookers but the first couple who looked at it almost three weeks ago made an offer we accepted yesterday. The purchase price will be is slightly more than 96% of the listing price.

Now we sweat out the inspection and the contract. Assuming that all goes well, we close on August 31 and I retire on September 29, my 68th birthday. We expect to be here in TV in our Buttonwood home in mid-October.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Larry and Linda offered their house on a month to month basis and we accepted. It is near your home P!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default sale

GG keep your fingers crossed. It'll happen, maybe not as quickly as you'd like. When it's done you've won and you know what the prize is like. Wishing for a quick sale and smooth closing. I had a picture of TV as my screen saver looked at the prize everyday. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl
Larry and Linda offered their house on a month to month basis and we accepted. It is near your home P!!!

WOW - Gracie and P in the same neighborhood.

Do I smell coffee brewing?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Location: Winter - Village of Bonita; Summer - Marblehead, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl

WOW - Gracie and P in the same neighborhood.

Do I smell coffee brewing?
I'll bring the wine!

Today's new friend become tomorrow's family

Ohio - Cleveland, Lakewood, North Ridgeville, North Olmsted, Marblehead, Elyria; Florida - Village of Bonita (2010)
Old 05-31-2011, 09:41 AM
Sage

Selling a house can be such a frustrating experience and it takes so much work to make your house "perfect" for showings. And yes, a "perfect" house shows much better than a messy one. After 20 years as a real estate broker, I have seen it all. I've actually shown houses where you had to carefully wade through piles of dirty laundry. And people asleep on the floor. But that is another story.

By the way, someone suggested that you fire your agent if an appointment is cancelled. That is just wrong. Appointments are generally made by a selling broker for their client, through the listing agent's office. The selling broker gets a last minute call ... my car won't start ... my babysitter didn't show up ... I have a migrane. And the appointment gets cancelled. Certainly not the agent's fault. But very frustrating for the seller nevertheless.

We had our CYV in TV for sale and believe me, selling in TV is even more frustrating than selling in other areas of the country. Because 90% of the people, when they start out looking in TV, aren't even looking in your specific area, they're just getting familiar with the territory. They are "tire kickers", just in TV looking around, trying to get the lay of the land, so to speak. They're not sure yet what Village they want to live in or what model they want to purchase. So they're just browsing. Nothing wrong with browsing, we all did it. And eventually the tire kickers will decide what they want, and hopefully your home will be perfect for them. But most showings in TV aren't "serious showings" as they would be is someone was interested in your particular model in your village. Now second showings are extremely important, and worth a lot of preparation time!

Having daily showings isn't bad if your house is always in meticulous shape. I always wanted to have fresh flowers around, classical music playing, all the lights on, cinnamon simmering on the stove, counter tops shining, etc. When you have two dogs and a cat, it takes considerable work to spruce up the house and remove the animals. In the summer, of course, you can't leave animals in the car so I used to park down the block with the air conditioning going, and wait, and wait, and wait. Lots of no-shows. It takes patience.

Anyway, hang in their, it's all worth it!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Selling a house can be such a frustrating experience and it takes so much work to make your house "perfect" for showings. And yes, a "perfect" house shows much better than a messy one. After 20 years as a real estate broker, I have seen it all. I've actually shown houses where you had to carefully wade through piles of dirty laundry. And people asleep on the floor. But that is another story.

By the way, someone suggested that you fire your agent if an appointment is cancelled. That is just wrong. Appointments are generally made by a selling broker for their client, through the listing agent's office. The selling broker gets a last minute call ... my car won't start ... my babysitter didn't show up ... I have a migrane. And the appointment gets cancelled. Certainly not the agent's fault. But very frustrating for the seller nevertheless.

We had our CYV in TV for sale and believe me, selling in TV is even more frustrating than selling in other areas of the country. Because 90% of the people, when they start out looking in TV, aren't even looking in your specific area, they're just getting familiar with the territory. They are "tire kickers", just in TV looking around, trying to get the lay of the land, so to speak. They're not sure yet what Village they want to live in or what model they want to purchase. So they're just browsing. Nothing wrong with browsing, we all did it. And eventually the tire kickers will decide what they want, and hopefully your home will be perfect for them. But most showings in TV aren't "serious showings" as they would be is someone was interested in your particular model in your village. Now second showings are extremely important, and worth a lot of preparation time!

Having daily showings isn't bad if your house is always in meticulous shape. I always wanted to have fresh flowers around, classical music playing, all the lights on, cinnamon simmering on the stove, counter tops shining, etc. When you have two dogs and a cat, it takes considerable work to spruce up the house and remove the animals. In the summer, of course, you can't leave animals in the car so I used to park down the block with the air conditioning going, and wait, and wait, and wait. Lots of no-shows. It takes patience.

Anyway, hang in their, it's all worth it!
especially the part about the selling agent cancelling an appointment. I had a showing this Sunday from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM. At 12:35 PM, I received a call from the realtor the showing was cancelled but a rescheduled for today at the same time.

I hope this a buyer that will make a fair offer.

How many buyers place an offer after the first showing?

If a potential buyer comes for a second showing, does it mean they will automartically place an offer?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
especially the part about the selling agent cancelling an appointment. I had a showing this Sunday from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM. At 12:35 PM, I received a call from the realtor the showing was cancelled but a rescheduled for today at the same time.

I hope this a buyer that will make a fair offer.

How many buyers place an offer after the first showing?

If a potential buyer comes for a second showing, does it mean they will automartically place an offer?
The first showing is usually for first impressions, and the second is to check out specific info like how much storage is in the kitchen, what type of appliances are included, is there hardwood under the purple bedroom carpet, does the neighbor's dog really bark continually, etc.

Usually a second showing means they've narrowed their search down to one or two homes in your neighborhood. If the buyers are experienced, they may make make an offer after a second showing. If the buyers are first timers, they'll usually want to bring their parents before they make an offer.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We have been getting this house ready for the market for a long time. We have removed all wall paper except for border in the laundry room. We have repainted in neutral all rooms except three and they are kind of a neutral soft green...(I hope) We have weeded and mulched and trimmed and watered and removed bird feeders and a couple of statues from the yard. We have removed a lot of furniture from the house such as bookcases and extra chairs and almost all pictures of family. We have had the carpet cleaned and the exterior painted. We have replaced any window panes that had cloudy thermoseals. We have had four garage sales and contributed a lot of STUFF we didn't need or use to Goodwill, Vietnam Vets and St.Vincent de Paul. We have made our daughter take a lot of her THINGS that were living here. We have made our closets a work of art and practically useless.

I have watched the shows on HGTV obsessively and tried to take their advice on staging. What have I forgotten?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:43 AM
Veteran member

Sounds like you're done all that you can as far as your end of the deal. I know the frustration of selling a house as we went through all that a year ago...and before. It takes just one interested party but it's the luck of the draw in this economy I think. Hopefully you have your house priced right too. Gone are the days where we can ask what "we" think it's worth. It's got to compare to what's out there in other places. Hopefully you won't have to wait long!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:45 AM

Gracie,
I can feel the sparkle of your home all the way in Michigan. Also, I can see that right person walking thru your home & buying it.
Congratulations with your decision to make that final decision by selling your Ohio home. Wish my husband would agree on our Michigan home as well.

Best of luck.

Pat
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.