FL car registration by Snowbirds

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2014, 02:41 AM
Veteran member
Default FL car registration by Snowbirds

We are NYS residents with NYS drivers licenses. My husband wants to buy a car, register it in FL, and leave it here. Is that possible? Anyone done it?

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 01-12-2014, 05:08 AM

It's my understanding you must be a Florida resident to register an automobile in this state.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:11 AM
Sage

I have a neighbor that has been here full time for 4 years with out of state lic plates on the car. Must not be something anyone is serious about.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Gold member
Default maybe for insurance rates?

Maybe the car insurance rates are cheaper where they are from and maybe they are using a relative's address for their plate renewals, but I can tell you how Allstate insurance adjusters handled (or were supposed to) that before I retired (I had a claim involving this situation).

We paid the claim and referred to underwriting for future. Not sure they are still handling them that way. I think most policies say you must notify of any change of address. A lot depends on the insurance adjuster you happen to get assigned, and your policy and your carrier. That is actually true for many types of claims. Some will pick up on stuff like this, some won't. Some companies have a lot of exclusions in their policy's small print. Be very careful. If a carrier can legally deny a claim, they normally will (if they catch it). That is an adjuster's first task - is there coverage? There isn't necessarily coverage just because you pay a premium.

For instance, Progressive and Safeauto had a clause denying coverage if you were legally intoxicated and caused an accident. I am certainly not advocating drinking and driving, but if you one time had one too many wouldn't you want to be covered by insurance? Some carriers have clauses about driver must have active/current license - if you forgot to renew yours by 2 days, wouldn't you want to be covered? Or if you loaned your car to a grandchild who didn't tell you or didn't know they didn't have a current license? I doubt the agents (sometimes an agent might not even know this stuff) who sell the policies point this stuff out, and most people don't read thru (or can't understand anyway as I think most are written rather ambiguously) their policies before they get them.

You are taking chances if you do this. And sometimes carriers will pay a small claim to keep a customer but if it was a big one (like a fatality or a big injury claim that goes to court), they might deny. Same with healthcare policies that might be cheaper in another state - you need to get one in the state in which you are a legal resident.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:01 AM
Gold member
Default Didn't answer the question, did I?

My previous post addressed the living here full-time, still having out-of-state car registration.

I think if you have 2 residences it's possible to have one registered here and one there legally, if that's where they are primarily garaged. But - it might depend on the state and the insurance carrier. For a while, we left one car in Ohio (registered there) and one was registered in Florida after we became Florida residents. I was up front with my insurance carrier (USAA) who didn't seem concerned. We had an address in Ohio for the renewals.

Now we are down to one car we drive back and forth, but since we're Florida residents, it's registered here. And yes, our insurance is higher in Florida, but I for one would not take the risk. Plus, part of being a legal Florida resident is registering your motor vehicle here. Not sure who checks that though, since there is no Florida income tax. I think we got Florida drivers' licenses and tags at the same time.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:28 AM

We live in Nova Scotia and did not have any problem with Allstate to insure a car to leave in the Villages. They will tell you what paperwork you need to prove your driving record and then issue the policy.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Gold member

I think the issue is "can you be a full-time Florida resident (i.e., don't own a property in another state) and still register a car in your former state?" That's different that being a part-time resident.

IMO, yes you could do it, but no, it wouldn't be legal and you might not be covered by your insurance carrier if you try to get away with this.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by another Linda View Post
We are NYS residents with NYS drivers licenses. My husband wants to buy a car, register it in FL, and leave it here. Is that possible? Anyone done it?
we are from Long Island (snowbirds) and have a car registered here and another in NY. Easy-peasy only a bit expensive to register
Old 01-12-2014, 10:24 AM

I am a resident of Michigan and own a car that we leave in Florida that is registered in Florida. I purchased it from a dealer so he handled the paper work but it wasn't a problem. It is insured with Allstate in Florida and they know my main residence is in Michigan. When the license renewal is due the state of Florida even sends the renewal forms and bill to my Michigan address
Old 01-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Sage

Are the part time residents who have a car licensed in Florida and another in their homestate able to qualify for the $25000 homestead exception here in Florida?
Old 01-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Are the part time residents who have a car licensed in Florida and another in their homestate able to qualify for the $25000 homestead exception here in Florida?
Homestead tax exemption is not relevant to which state your car is registered. Homestead is relevant to which state you claim residency. If you claim Florida as your residence you are entitled to the Homestead tax exemption. If you are also a resident of NY state you can not claim Homestead and NY Star program.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Gold member
Default yes, if you claim Florida residency

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
you will probably lose any residency advantages from the other state, but you should check as each state's laws may differ. Our summer home is in Ohio - we cannot get the 2.5% resident occupied reduction on our property tax there, but we are much better off being Florida residents to get the $25,000 (I believe it's per person) homestead exemption here and no state income tax.

Everyone's tax situation is different.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
My previous post addressed the living here full-time, still having out-of-state car registration.

I think if you have 2 residences it's possible to have one registered here and one there legally, if that's where they are primarily garaged. But - it might depend on the state and the insurance carrier. For a while, we left one car in Ohio (registered there) and one was registered in Florida after we became Florida residents. I was up front with my insurance carrier (USAA) who didn't seem concerned. We had an address in Ohio for the renewals.

Now we are down to one car we drive back and forth, but since we're Florida residents, it's registered here. And yes, our insurance is higher in Florida, but I for one would not take the risk. Plus, part of being a legal Florida resident is registering your motor vehicle here. Not sure who checks that though, since there is no Florida income tax. I think we got Florida drivers' licenses and tags at the same time.
I can tell you who checks...the people where you go to apply for the FL homesteading for your property tax. We had to show our driver's licenses plus car registration to apply.

We have friends, one of whom became a FL resident, and one didn't. I think it was because of the gun laws in FL being easier than those in MI. They were not allowed homesteading on both homes. I believe he had to register his car in FL and get a FL driver's license to become a resident.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Gold member
Default That's true

They do check - but if you have 2 cars, they don't know that.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Veteran member

You have to be a full time resident, have your auto insured in Florida, registered in Florida, drivers license in Florida and be registered to vote in Florida to claim homestead.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.