FL school shooting - NON-POLITICAL

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2018, 09:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default FL school shooting - NON-POLITICAL

here we go, yet again. We live in a large free country with many diverse people, and some have serious mental or social issues. As is the case in this latest one.

I am a true Independent and believe in different sides of all issues facing us in the USA. But the gun issue is one that I have steadily moved to the "Something has GOT to be done" side. Seems as if the Gun Control laws in many areas such as Chicago do not work. Perhaps it's enforcement matter or simply the Black Market or purchasing elsewhere and bringing them into the 'war zone'.

What truly saddens me is the easy availability of semi-automatic weapons and mass lethal ammo. How these weapons can be obtained at gun shows etc without checks or such is maddening. No idea where this perp got his weapons - or how he afforded them. But he did and apparently many knew he had them.

Then we come to the Social ills. Mental issues. Little family structure. The violent video games. And more..

Apparently this young man has had multiple run-ins, friends knew of his issues, social media postings and such.

We can protect our schools and buildings just so much. If they want to get in they will. And now - the fire alarm matter - what to do now...how to have students obey an alarm or not??? How can students concentrate on classes?

Sad for our country and the people that were impacted by this and other events. But one thing for sure this will be a big topic for weeks....then a memory....then another. repeat - UNTIL SOME PEOPLE CAN MAKE REAL CHANGES THAT HAVE SOME IMPACT.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
here we go, yet again. We live in a large free country with many diverse people, and some have serious mental or social issues. As is the case in this latest one.

I am a true Independent and believe in different sides of all issues facing us in the USA. But the gun issue is one that I have steadily moved to the "Something has GOT to be done" side. Seems as if the Gun Control laws in many areas such as Chicago do not work. Perhaps it's enforcement matter or simply the Black Market or purchasing elsewhere and bringing them into the 'war zone'.

What truly saddens me is the easy availability of semi-automatic weapons and mass lethal ammo. How these weapons can be obtained at gun shows etc without checks or such is maddening. No idea where this perp got his weapons - or how he afforded them. But he did and apparently many knew he had them.

Then we come to the Social ills. Mental issues. Little family structure. The violent video games. And more..

Apparently this young man has had multiple run-ins, friends knew of his issues, social media postings and such.

We can protect our schools and buildings just so much. If they want to get in they will. And now - the fire alarm matter - what to do now...how to have students obey an alarm or not??? How can students concentrate on classes?

Sad for our country and the people that were impacted by this and other events. But one thing for sure this will be a big topic for weeks....then a memory....then another. repeat - UNTIL SOME PEOPLE CAN MAKE REAL CHANGES THAT HAVE SOME IMPACT.
Will be a topic for far less than weeks.........
Old 02-15-2018, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Will be a topic for far less than weeks.........

Unfortunately, so true. As a nation we have become immune to violence even when it comes to killing children! Sad commentary on our country!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-15-2018, 10:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Unfortunately, so true. As a nation we have become immune to violence even when it comes to killing children! Sad commentary on our country!
I couldn’t disagree more.

No event stays in the forefront forever. That doesn’t mean it is forgotten. Our country sincerely grieves and mourns greatly every incident. And tries like heck to do something about it.

But it’s a very difficult problem with no easy solution. And no solution will eliminate all acts of senseless violence.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I don't think any of us reading this have become immune to violence. WHAT to do about it? We cannot lock up all mentally ill people. If we start removing guns from people who own them, we would get those from people with ethics. Only.

I think assault rifles should not be sold anymore. There is NO WAY we can remove them from the hands of people who have them. As for mental illness? That is the hardest problem to solve, not only who are mentally ill, and how sick are they, but who are a potential threat and who are not. I find this man Nicholas Cruz had a lot of things unusual happen to him. He was put up for adoption by his birth mother and he and his biological brother were adopted by Roger and Lynda Cruz. They had just moved to Florida and never had children. Roger Cruz died when Nicholas was six and Lynda died just this past November from Pneumonia at 68. Nicholas had been identified with an Autism Spectrum disorder as a young child. In November Nicholas went to live with friends of his family and they were aware he had an assault weapon.

He will be held accountable by the law and he should be, in my opinion.. I wonder what could have been done to avert this disaster? What could we do differently? I think the answer lies in how and who are raising little humans and how they are doing it. People often turn over their children to people who they would not give their car keys to. Children are taught right and wrong when they are under the age of five, or they absorb it from the people who are with them. Parents are assuming the role of indulging grandparents because they are not with their children as much as our generation was.

But that is MY opinion and it is only one factor in this worrisome, heartbreaking mess.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-15-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I personally believe we need to be more responsive to individuals who exhibit, or proclaim to commit violence.
As I read this morning the FBI was made aware of this individuals claim to become a professional school shooter....plus other inputs from students and teachers.

I also believe we have progressed to the point of being so litigious about anything and everything to a point where enforcement has far too much potential to become compromised as a result.

The issue is not just gun or mental illness... enforcement intimidation is a serious contributor.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

When you look at ALL our politicians news media I mean all everyone.
They set no example for today's youth.
They conduct themselves like bullies with demeaning and demoralizing conduct and when an incident of this magnitude occurs they say .
They look at each other like deer in a headlight and say
What could possibly make an individual act in such a manor ?
Old 02-15-2018, 11:16 AM
Gold member
Default Too many questions would take a book but

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't think any of us reading this have become immune to violence. WHAT to do about it? We cannot lock up all mentally ill people. If we start removing guns from people who own them, we would get those from people with ethics. Only.

I think assault rifles should not be sold anymore. There is NO WAY we can remove them from the hands of people who have them. As for mental illness? That is the hardest problem to solve, not only who are mentally ill, and how sick are they, but who are a potential threat and who are not. I find this man Nicholas Cruz had a lot of things unusual happen to him. He was put up for adoption by his birth mother and he and his biological brother were adopted by Roger and Lynda Cruz. They had just moved to Florida and never had children. Roger Cruz died when Nicholas was six and Lynda died just this past November from Pneumonia at 68. Nicholas had been identified with an Autism Spectrum disorder as a young child. In November Nicholas went to live with friends of his family and they were aware he had an assault weapon.

He will be held accountable by the law and he should be, in my opinion.. I wonder what could have been done to avert this disaster? What could we do differently? I think the answer lies in how and who are raising little humans and how they are doing it. People often turn over their children to people who they would not give their car keys to. Children are taught right and wrong when they are under the age of five, or they absorb it from the people who are with them. Parents are assuming the role of indulging grandparents because they are not with their children as much as our generation was.

But that is MY opinion and it is only one factor in this worrisome, heartbreaking mess.
Under our legal system, you cannot be arrested because someone thinks you might commit a crime. In this case the perpetrator was 18. Some of you seem to think we should arrest all 18 year olds. In reality, if I recall most violent crime is done by people under 25-an easy solution. YES, it does get ridiculous.

As to stated ASSAULT RIFLES. Sadly, this term is MISUSED by people lacking in knowledge. It is not the fault of the people but the fault of the press OK THE LIBERAL PRESS with an anti-gun bias. PLEASE LOOK IT UP. DO NOT TAKE MY WORD. An assault rifle, a word a phrase that many will parrot, is by definition an automatic weapon. You pull the trigger and it keeps shooting. IT IS ILLEGAL TO OWN ONE AND HAS BEEN SINCE ABOUT 1920.

We all, including me, have after the event from the safety of our homes have all kinds of suggestions. TRUTH is that it is after the fact in a state of safety. LIFE IS A RISK.
The good news is that the crime rate is actually down since the 1920's. The crime rate in the US is actually going down. Laughing a bit but since young people commit most violet crime, what we know is that our population is aging.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Unfortunately, too many politicians are beholden to the NRA to make a needed change.

The Villages Florida

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2018, 11:29 AM

These shootings happen in gun-free zones. Teachers and school staff should be allowed to conceal carry in schools, after they obtain the proper training. When seconds count, the police are minutes away. My thoughts and prayers are for all those affected by this horrific event in Broward County.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:44 AM
fw102807

This may not be a political post but this needs to be addressed to your politicians since they are the only ones who can do anything about it. We can discuss it ad nauseum but it is not going to change anything.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
...this needs to be addressed to your politicians since they are the only ones who can do anything about it...
Very debatable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
...We can discuss it ad nauseum but it is not going to change anything.
What’s your point?
Old 02-15-2018, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonalChoice View Post
These shootings happen in gun-free zones. Teachers and school staff should be allowed to conceal carry in schools, after they obtain the proper training. When seconds count, the police are minutes away. My thoughts and prayers are for all those affected by this horrific event in Broward County.
Making more laws is ineffective. Laws don't prevent crimes, they define crime and provide for punishment if the perpetrator is caught. This guy violated many laws including having a firearm on school property. Making the school a gun free zone did not stop this crime. More laws will not stop other crimes. Making it more difficult for law-abiding citizens to obtain firearms that they want to have for personal protection won't stop criminals from obtaining firearms illegally. Limiting magazine capacity won't do anything as mags can be changed in a second or less. Banning "assault weapons" was tried and was ineffective, especially since there is no real definition of an assault weapon. Should we ban all semi-automatic weapons? That would involve banning 95% of all the guns that are out there. Then criminals would find a way to get them illegally and law-abiding citizens would be at a disadvantage.

If these killers can't get a gun legally, they will get one illegally, If they can't get a gun, they will find a way to make homemade bombs.

My solution would be to make it mandatory that all teachers, be licensed, trained and armed while at work.

It's a requirement for the police who protect us elsewhere. Why not make it a requirement for those entrusted with protecting our children?

In the case of yesterday's shooting, there was an armed officer at the opposite end of the school. There is no way for one or two officers to be everywhere and it's not often not possible for them to get to a scene in time. In this case, the shooter was familiar with the school and might have selected the location because he knew that the officer would not be close by.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Unfortunately, too many politicians are beholden to the NRA to make a needed change.

The Villages Florida

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Semi-automatic handguns can also fire 45 rounds a minute. Should we ban those also?

It might help when talking about gun laws that one knows a bit about guns. Do you think that banning AR-15s will prevent criminals who want one from getting one?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Reports in the last few hours indicate the shooter was involved with a white supremicist group.

Alleged Gunman Nikolas Cruz Was in White Supremacist Group | Time

Florida school shooter belonged to white supremacist group, leader claims | TheHill

While I endorse making it more difficult to buy guns, I do agree that we should be looking more "inward" to address the hate that preoccupies our country, and certain of us that have a need to express our hate for groups, etc.

Social media is giving a platform to so many "haters" among us, who in a hateful manner simply reject other human beings. Many have, and will, take that hate to the next level.

Gun control..sure. Hate and visicious conversation is a refelection of what is happening in our country.
Closed Thread

Tags
issues, social, weapons, gun, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.