Fla University Professor

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
A number of different media----my "gut" tells me that there is a lot more to this story than what I've read up to this point in time.
Well since UPI is media the question I guess was answered. It was covered.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Sage

Hold on folks - before you start slamming anyone - the fella that refused to stomp on the paper was a Mormon according to the report. And the professor wasn't fired, the student was suspended from the class.

Once again I stand corrected - I really must be more careful. Sorry.

Last edited by gomoho; 03-22-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Hold on folks - before you start slamming anyone - the fella that refused to stomp on the paper was a Muslim according to the report. And the professor wasn't fired, the student was suspended from the class.
I would have to say that there is probably a lot more to the story that we are not getting.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Hold on folks - before you start slamming anyone - the fella that refused to stomp on the paper was a Muslim according to the report. And the professor wasn't fired, the student was suspended from the class.
Article said the student was a Mormon, not a Muslim. Not that it should matter.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Sage

Yes, it does say the student was a MORMON. The article also said he went to discuss it with the instructor's supervisor and has been suspended from THAT class. (Not expelled from college). How did the student conduct himself with the supervisor? Was that the reason he got suspended from that one class? Too many things we do not know about it.

It was some sort of communications class. Obviously, the students were supposed to communicate their emotions about the directive. Very stupid exercise. The student would not have been suspended from that class if he had reasonably explained his refusal to the class. A college class is not the Army when you can be discliplined for refusing to follow a directive.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I find that the proposed exercise was very offensive and just plain follishness. This incident, course study, is another reason people are showing concern about the indoctrination occcuring in colleges and universities today. Students are being intimated, ignored etc if they demonstrate an opposing and conservative view. A number of articles have appeared in the papers written by liberal professors opposed to this indoctrination.

Experts all have opined why students are falling behind other nations when it comes to academics. Well here is a prime example of why.

This student whould have been given high praise for abiding by his beliefs.

This is another assault on Christianity
Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

This is just another example of what is happening in our colleges and universities. It made me so angry I wrote the instructor's name on a piece of paper and wiped my dog's #** with it.

Check out what Howard students had to say about him at Ratemyprofessors.com

This guy is a mess!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.†Thomas Paine
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Veteran member

I just read the article and it is unsettling. Hard to believe this is what we are settling for in education. Makes me sad. No one should disrespect anyones's relic us beliefs.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,143 Times in 829 Posts

Just from my reading of the UPI story, no further googling... A professor is teaching a course in intercultural communication.. In other words exploring the difficulties members of one culture have in understanding and communicating with those in an other culture. What might be useful to do is to try to see how "they" experience what "we" do to help us gain some insight into why "they" react the way "they" do. For instance why do Muslims get so furious if "we" happen to print a cartoon about Allah or defile a Koran. Why don't "they" just accept that it is just a book or a cartoon and get on with their life?
Here we have a strict adherent Christian who is angered by an exercise which seems to attack his faith. Note that others in the same classroom chose not to do the exercise and seemingly without consequences. Only this student as far as reported felt the need to go to the supervisor and complain that his faith was being attacked. Sounds to me like the exercise hit a nerve, which should be the goal of the exercise. So now that student and other students have a bit of the sense of anger that Muslims feel when the tenets of their faith are ridiculed. And that some would see this as an attack on Christianity, knee jerk defending of the faith, only shows that maybe we all need to learn to be more interculturally sensitive so we don't jump to wrong conclusions before getting facts.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Veteran member

It just sounds a little too fantastic. There has to be more to the story than what has been presented.

The instructor seems to be trying to make a point about communication with the exercise and the student proved it. Maybe the kid should get extra credit!
Old 03-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
This is just another example of what is happening in our colleges and universities. It made me so angry I wrote the instructor's name on a piece of paper and wiped my dog's #** with it.

Check out what Howard students had to say about him at Ratemyprofessors.com

This guy is a mess!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Bad behavior is bad behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyOfLife View Post
It just sounds a little too fantastic. There has to be more to the story than what has been presented.

The instructor seems to be trying to make a point about communication with the exercise and the student proved it. Maybe the kid should get extra credit!
Bad behavior is bad behavior .

Most , if not all, of us know it when we see it!

So often in life people go along to get along; even if they see bad behavior they will choose not to confront it head on so as to not “create a scene.”

Sometimes the very thing necessary is to “create a scene.”

Kudos to Ryan for taking a stand where one was so obviously necessary.

I for one am tired of it being ok to deal sarcastically or defame Christianity, or any other religion for that matter.

Confront all bad behavior head on whenever you encounter it!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:45 PM
Platinum member

Several giant leaps for mankind.

That which does not destroy you, makes you stronger- Nietzsche
Old 03-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
The student would not have been suspended from that class if he had reasonably explained his refusal to the class.
How did you arrive at that conclusion?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post
Bad behavior is bad behavior .

Most , if not all, of us know it when we see it!

So often in life people go along to get along; even if they see bad behavior they will choose not to confront it head on so as to not “create a scene.”

Sometimes the very thing necessary is to “create a scene.”

Kudos to Ryan for taking a stand where one was so obviously necessary.

I for one am tired of it being ok to deal sarcastically or defame Christianity, or any other religion for that matter.

Confront all bad behavior head on whenever you encounter it!
Were you there? How do you know what happened?

Florida college student allegedly suspended for not 'stomping on Jesus' - National Social Issues | Examiner.com

I am not going to defend either side of it. Don't know enough about it to give much of an opinion... all I could do is jump to some conclusions.

My comment was essentially... "if the class was about how communication can go wrong the exercise proved it."

If there was bad (inappropriate/unacceptable) behavior, there will probably be a lawsuit. There were plenty of witnesses.

Funny thing about court.... everyone is put under oath and gives testimony under the penalty of perjury.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.