Tornado warnings

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Dancing Thyme
Default Tornado warnings

Weird weather. Have had tornado warnings all afternoon but its not even raining that hard. Only a few thunder strikes too..

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Weird weather. Have had tornado warnings all afternoon but its not even raining that hard. Only a few thunder strikes too..
Rain and thunder are not a requirement for a tornado warning. A radar indicated tornado or an actual sighting of a tornado is all that is required
Old 03-24-2013, 03:09 PM

6-10 inches of snow is our Ohio forecast. Ugh!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Sage

Actually, the National Weather Service did issue a tornado warning for Sumter County for a short time this afternoon and then for Orange County as well as Brevard County. Rotation was detected within areas of the storm, but as far as I know, nothing happened....no funnel clouds spotted last I saw on tv. My weather radio sounded like the horn section in a symphony today...lol....and we did get a Code Red call for a severe thunderstorm warning.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Sage

I hope everyone knows they should register to receive automated phone calls on both home and cell, from the county Red Alert system in case of tornado, flash flood, etc. at this link:

https://cne.coderedweb.com/Default.a...D%2f%2bA%3d%3d

I did receive a call from the system at 1:59 p.m. today, warning about the severe thunderstorm possibilities.

Again, I'm going to ask WHY, WHY, WHY do TV fire stations not sound the firestation sirens if there's a tornado warning? This is what's done in all the other places we've lived, in various states.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
I hope everyone knows they should register to receive automated phone calls on both home and cell, from the county Red Alert system in case of tornado, flash flood, etc. at this link:

I did receive a call from the system at 1:59 p.m. today, warning about the severe thunderstorm possibilities.

Again, I'm going to ask WHY, WHY, WHY do TV fire stations not sound the firestation sirens if there's a tornado warning? This is what's done in all the other places we've lived, in various states.
I lived in St Louis area for the first 50 years of my life and they used the air raid/ emergency sirens to signal tornado warnings
Old 03-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Sage

Quote:

Not sure they would be heard in all parts of TV. If you subscribe to Comcast for TV, there were alerts broadcast off and on this afternoon.
A weather radio costs relatively little and the nice firemen at any Villages station will program it for Sumter, Lake and/or Marion County(ies).
Old 03-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
I lived in St Louis area for the first 50 years of my life and they used the air raid/ emergency sirens to signal tornado warnings
Thank You!

And I do have a weather radio with siren, which I would not be without. But all the lifestyle preview, renters and visitors from around the nation and world do not have one...and they wouldn't know about registering for the county emergency robo-call system....and they're not watching TV to see alerts on it while asleep at night.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:

Those other places you lived had a siren system. All placed so the population could hear them. Our fire stations are not located to accomplish full coverage.
Do the stations even have sirens?
After the tornado hit TV there was much talk about a siren system in Sumter County.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Those other places you lived had a siren system. All placed so the population could hear them. Our fire stations are not located to accomplish full coverage.
Do the stations even have sirens?
After the tornado hit TV there was much talk about a siren system in Sumter County.

Villages fire stations do not have sirens. At one time it was common for volunteer fire depts to have sirens to notify volunteers of an emergency and the sirens did double duty in areas of tornado activity.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
We were at Bay Hill today for the tournament and everything stopped 20 min. after Tiger teed off. The thunder & Lightning and winds were crazy. They actually blew us over. I have never been in anything like that before. After about 45 mins we ran back to the busses and left for our car that was parked at Universal. We saw many trees down and power was out all over Orlando. It was scarey. We were soaked. But still had a great time.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Sage

It can be done. And considering "Florida is the 2nd most likely state to experience tornado activity", it would be nice if people did not pooh-pooh the idea.

"OUTDOOR TORNADO SIREN WARNING SYSTEM
The Oviedo (FL) City Council has invested in an Outdoor Tornado Siren Warning System as part of a comprehensive approach towards mass alerting for tornado severe weather events. Tornadoes are one of the most destructive severe weather events that often result in serious injuries and loss of life and Florida is the second most likely state to experience tornado activity.

The Outdoor Tornado Siren Warning System consists of numerous sirens strategically located within the Oviedo community. Each siren emits a 130 dB siren tone which covers approximately a 1 mile outdoor range......

OUTDOOR TORNADO SIREN WARNING SYSTEM | City of Oviedo, Florida
Old 03-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
It can be done. And considering "Florida is the 2nd most likely state to experience tornado activity", it would be nice if people did not pooh-pooh the idea.

"OUTDOOR TORNADO SIREN WARNING SYSTEM
The Oviedo (FL) City Council has invested in an Outdoor Tornado Siren Warning System as part of a comprehensive approach towards mass alerting for tornado severe weather events. Tornadoes are one of the most destructive severe weather events that often result in serious injuries and loss of life and Florida is the second most likely state to experience tornado activity.

The Outdoor Tornado Siren Warning System consists of numerous sirens strategically located within the Oviedo community. Each siren emits a 130 dB siren tone which covers approximately a 1 mile outdoor range......

OUTDOOR TORNADO SIREN WARNING SYSTEM | City of Oviedo, Florida
This report sums up the conclusions after the tornado that hit The Villages.

Quick Response Report 193 | Natural Hazards Center

The Groundhog Day Florida Tornadoes:
A Case Study of High-Vulnerability Tornadoes
Kevin M. Simmons
Department of Economics
Austin College
Sherman, Texas

Daniel Sutter
Department of Economics
University of Texas–Pan American
Edinburg, Texas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An excerpt:
Tornado Sirens and Fatalities in the February 2 Tornadoes
Lake County, like most other counties in Florida, does not have tornado sirens. The lack of sirens produced controversy in the aftermath of the Groundhog Day tornadoes, and many residents were upset. One resident of Lake County whose home was destroyed remarked, “What we need is a damn siren! Some kind of wake-up call! There’s a lot of people who got hurt and killed” (quoted in Damron 2007). Other residents appeared under the impression that the area did have sirens and figured that sirens would alert them if there was a tornado, so a lack of blaring sirens was interpreted as implying no danger. Tiefenbacher et al. (2001) found that residents of Siren, Wisconsin, expected the town’s sirens to sound during a June 2001 tornado event, but the town’s sirens had been knocked out by a lightning strike the month prior. Table 1 illustrated that a large proportion of Lake and Sumter County residents had recently moved to Florida. If new Floridians were from states where sirens are prevalent, they may assume their new Florida community has sirens. The lack of a siren warning may result in an entirely unwarranted sense of security.

City and county officials in Florida faced pressure to install sirens in the aftermath of the event, and 26 of 28 officials surveyed by The Orlando Sentinel indicated an interest in installing sirens. Officials stated several factors to explain their reluctance to date to invest in sirens. New, energy efficient homes are more sound resistant, and many Floridians keep their homes buttoned up with the air conditioning running much of the year, so officials wondered if residents today could actually hear sirens. The high proportion of elderly residents, many with hearing losses, contributes to doubts about whether residents would hear sirens. And sirens in rural areas could be quite costly per resident. Many Florida officials view the purchase of NOAA Weather Radios by residents as a superior alternative to public tornado sirens.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Dancing Thyme

I rented a house in TV back in '07 before I bought here. It had one of those radios. I scared the living **** out of me everytime it went off, especially in the middle of the night. I swore I would NEVER get one of them. What is the purpose??? Where we gonna run to?? We don't have basements to hide in and the only thing I would do is run into my master closet which is about 4 feet away from me, so I could run there in a nano-second if I needed to.

In CA, We never got warnings about earthquakes and quite frankly, where would we go?? Maybe some of you who come from tornado country could enlighten me as to why do we need those squealing notices???

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I rented a house in TV back in '07 before I bought here. It had one of those radios. I scared the living **** out of me everytime it went off, especially in the middle of the night. I swore I would NEVER get one of them. What is the purpose??? Where we gonna run to?? We don't have basements to hide in and the only thing I would do is run into my master closet which is about 4 feet away from me, so I could run there in a nano-second if I needed to.

In CA, We never got warnings about earthquakes and quite frankly, where would we go?? Maybe some of you who come from tornado country could enlighten me as to why do we need those squealing notices???
Actually most experts would say if you don't have a basement or approved tornado shelter to go to, go to your guest bath, get in the tub and pull a mattress over you if you can. The reason for the warning is they save lives.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.