Florida Automobile Registration/Insurance/Plates for part time Villages homeowner?

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2018, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts
Default Florida Automobile Registration/Insurance/Plates for part time Villages homeowner?

We are contemplating buying a used car (we have our eyes on a couple that are listed here on TOV) to keep at our home in the Villages, where we are part time residents. Our primary home of residence is in Massachusetts and we have MA licenses. Can part-time Florida homeowners insure/register a vehicle to be garaged in Florida, with an out of state drivers license? Any knowledge on this subject would be much appreciated as my searches of the state registry have not been helpful.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think you will find the law and the insurance company telling you to insure the car in the state the car spends most of its time.
I have done the reverse. I retained my Northern home and left a car at that address. I registered and insured it in the state it was in. Then registered and insured the cars that were in FL, in FL. I had two different insurance policies as my Northern co was not licensed to sell insurance in FL. Same for homeowners insurance.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

All the info is here. If not give them a call.
Tags & Registration - Randy Mask - Sumter County Tax Collector
Old 02-25-2018, 07:42 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We are contemplating buying a used car (we have our eyes on a couple that are listed here on TOV) to keep at our home in the Villages, where we are part time residents. Our primary home of residence is in Massachusetts and we have MA licenses. Can part-time Florida homeowners insure/register a vehicle to be garaged in Florida, with an out of state drivers license? Any knowledge on this subject would be much appreciated as my searches of the state registry have not been helpful.

Yes. We did. Our primary residence is not Florida. Our northern agency did not write in Florida so we went with The Villages Insurance for the Florida house and car. (Offices are everywhere in TV and we found them to be knowledgeable and efficient.)

Also, if you carry an umbrella policy in MA, you might want to ask if that policy would include the Florida car. — But, of course, if so, that would be for umbrella purposes only and you would need to make sure the Florida coverages mesh with the overall umbrella requirements.

It would be a good idea to talk with a Florida agent and also with your MA agent. (I always say that I am a dangerous woman because I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a whole lot about anything. Therefore, I am pointing you back to the professionals — your agents in each state.

We bought our Florida car from a Florida dealer so it was licensed when we picked it up, but I remember asking the same questions you are asking.

Welcome.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
All the info is here. If not give them a call.
Tags & Registration - Randy Mask - Sumter County Tax Collector
Thanks Bogie Shooter, very helpful. This web site did not show up on my searches. I guess I did not google it correctly?
Old 02-25-2018, 10:56 PM
Veteran member

You arenot requiredto have Florida DL and you can suspend coverages not required by law when you garage vehicle while back in Mass
Old 02-27-2018, 02:25 PM
Default The REAL Question

The real question here is why don't you become Florida residents? Homestead Exemption on property taxes, no income taxes, etc., etc.. You're probably here in TV enough to qualify anyway. I think the state requires out of state cars be registered after 90 days, in case you bring your up north cars. We were Maine residents, moved here, got domiciled, saved enough in taxes to buy and register the second car!
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, home, part, state, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.