Florida Car Dealer Fees

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2017, 10:05 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I identify the vehicles I want to consider and use the Costco service. A year ago I bought a new BMW X5. No haggle. The salesman even made a small calculation error in my favor which he later figured out but honored the deal. At this time this dealership was selling new cars hand over fist to Chinese over the telephone. They really did not need my deal.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-27-2017, 10:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirknor View Post
It's not just the dealer fee. They like to put on a lot of extra junk and add another 5 thousand above the factory sticker price.
Smart advice! Don't get suckered into letting them tell you what you need, it's just a way to get more money out of you. They're just trying to take advantage of you. Heard it all, I worked for Fo.Mo.Co. for 38 yrs. so I know a little bit how they work. Buy what options you want & don't let the slick talkers talk you into anything!
Old 11-27-2017, 10:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB750 Rider View Post
I just purchased a new vehicle and had a heck of time negotiating down the "dealer documentation fee." This was my first new car purchase in Florida. The dealer stated Florida law required the Documentation Fee, which is dubious to me; I paid what I thought was fair for the new vehicle but I sure had to work the negotiation long and hard. I did not pay $699 for documentation, which is pure profit to the dealership.
Good for you. Personally I would of either said you pay it or I would of got up & walked out. There's always dealer that'll beat the one before. Then I bet he would of stopped you before you touched the door handle.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
GM’s Saturn tried that. People would rather negotiate with Slick Sam than not negotiate with Millennial Mike. They walked away from Mike thinking they could do better with Sam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You know you can select options & get a qoute for the full price online, didn't you? Then you don't have to be high pressured into buying a new car from Honest John!
Old 11-27-2017, 10:22 AM

Car salesman in Florida have a large population of eldrly gullible folks with more dollars than cents.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Car salesman in Florida have a large population of eldrly gullible folks with more dollars than cents.

They come from an age when trust wasn’t second guessed. The boomers know a thing or two, coming from an age of distrust towards most things. Cynicism keeps the wolves away from the door, and our money where it belongs. Who are we to blame ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2017, 09:36 AM

In Ohio, dealers don’t add a dealer fee, they just add a $600 rust proofing and upholstery Scotch Guard treatment fee. Ha Ha
In regard to leasing I’ve also discovered that you may be able to buy the car at lease end for less than shown in the contract. I have done this several times on bank financed leases, not factory leases. I have purchased the car for anywhere from $300 to $1500 less than shown on the lease agreement.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:56 PM
Veteran member

I have been buying cars for many years and have heard all the BS. salespeople need to recognize this.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:38 AM

Several years ago a friend of mine went to a local Lincoln- Mercury dealership to buy a new car. The salesman did the “give me your car keys” and then wouldn’t give them back routine. My friend, a retired cop, took out his cellphone and proceeded to call the police. Needless to say the keys were returned and the sales manager and salesman changed their attitude..my friend left the dealership.
My experience with buying a new car has evolved over the years to become less stressful and more businesslike. I do leave the transaction at the first sign of being pressured.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:33 PM

Sams club, Costco, cars guru, true car all charge the dealer 399.00 fee for sending you in hard to see how you are getting the best price when they have to add 399.00 to there cost. When You go on line to one of these sites that are trying to help you LOL they send Your information to the three closest Dealers that are signed up with them to your zip code. For the next 6 months if You buy a car from that dealer they have to pay this fee. When a Dealer signs up with them they tie right in to Your computers customer base to know if they sell someone they sent You.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

My salesman Jerry Lundegaard always recommends adding Trucoat.

The Villages Florida

Just ask this couple.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-18-2018, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by water boy View Post
Sams club, Costco, cars guru, true car all charge the dealer 399.00 fee for sending you in hard to see how you are getting the best price when they have to add 399.00 to there cost. When You go on line to one of these sites that are trying to help you LOL they send Your information to the three closest Dealers that are signed up with them to your zip code. For the next 6 months if You buy a car from that dealer they have to pay this fee. When a Dealer signs up with them they tie right in to Your computers customer base to know if they sell someone they sent You.
I agree. These buying services are not needed. You need to know what the car is worth or you will get ripped off. There is no need to engage in any conversation with the dealer about dealer fees or any other fees. This just plays into their playbook. The only fee you should discuss with the dealer is the out the door price, including trade-in, taxes, tags, and title. I have found that you can buy a car for the kbb.com or edmunds.com fair market price and it will save you about $2,000 to $3,000 from the dealer's initial offer. But, you need to make the dealer know that you will walk out the door unless he takes your offer. As soon as you start talking about individual fees or dealer installed options, you have lost the battle. Get their initial out the door price in writing. Then, be polite and present them with the kbb price and tell them it is a take it or leave it offer. If you are firm, they will take the offer. Don't sit in their silly little office while the salesperson checks with the sales manager. Go to the waiting room and drink the free coffee. I have bought several cars this way and it works.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, lease, dealers, north, dealer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.