Florida Highway patrol phone scam?

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2018, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts
Default Florida Highway patrol phone scam?

Beware, phone scam pretending to be Florida highway patrol asking for donations. They got pretty good one, had me sucked in till they wanted my credit card number over the phone. That sealed it. I hung up legit or not. Which I doubt it is?
Old 06-19-2018, 11:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I get at least one call a day lately from someone begging for money. Just remember when someone asks if this is ___ DON'T SAY YES just ask who is this then you'll hear their scam speech. Saying yes you could be agreeing to anything. Then tell them your contacting your attorney now take me off your list.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:44 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs down Not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Beware, phone scam pretending to be Florida highway patrol asking for donations. They got pretty good one, had me sucked in till they wanted my credit card number over the phone. That sealed it. I hung up legit or not. Which I doubt it is?
The Florida Highway Patrol is funded by the State and needs no contributions from the public.

Various associations, clubs, unions, and benevolent organizations do include Florida Highway Patrol in their names. Some hire professional fund raisers to make calls to residences in an attempt to obtain contributions.

I have never, no will I ever, contribute to one of these private entities.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
The Florida Highway Patrol is funded by the State and needs no contributions from the public.

Various associations, clubs, unions, and benevolent organizations do include Florida Highway Patrol in their names. Some hire professional fund raisers to make calls to residences in an attempt to obtain contributions.

I have never, no will I ever, contribute to one of these private entities.
I agree. As it turns out, very little of any money you would potentially donate actually gets to the entity for which the donations are supposedly designated. The majority of the money goes to the professional fund raisers as overhead costs. Better to make a direct donation where you feel the money is worthwhile.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
I agree. As it turns out, very little of any money you would potentially donate actually gets to the entity for which the donations are supposedly designated. The majority of the money goes to the professional fund raisers as overhead costs. Better to make a direct donation where you feel the money is worthwhile.
There is some type of 'Veteran' charity that has apparently received a permit...to set up shop at Florida rest areas.

I don't recall the exact 'charity' name right now, but when I tried to look them up on Charity Navigator....they weren't even there.

Charity Navigator - Your Guide To Intelligent Giving | Home

I talked to one of the guys and he said that he actually had to pay his own expenses, including food and motel room...just to sit around and try to get donations from motorists.

I gave the guy $20 with a promise from him...that he would use it to buy himself a nice dinner.

The least the state could do, would be to vet the supposed charities...they let hang out at rest areas.
Closed Thread

Tags
phone, florida, scam, highway, patrol

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.