Florida lawmakers working on bill to limit support of emotional support animals.

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2019, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
bill in florida house to limit use of emotional support dogs. - Bing

What is your view on this subject. Please don't get political.
In my opinion, whatever law Florida passes, it won't be effective for dogs or small horses because almost anyone can claim them as a "service animal". And, the Federal ADA law makes it virtually impossible to prevent someone from bringing a dog or horse almost anywhere, if the owner claims it to be a service animal. No proof or documentation is required. However, a State law could be effective for animals other than dogs and horses.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:56 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Take a Xanax and leave the darn dog at home. I love dogs, but I do not wish to see one slobbering at the table next to ours.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Something needs to be done to change the Federal ADA law. My brother is legally blind and is on his third highly trained seeing eye dog. He could not get around without his dog, and his dogs have more than once saved his life by pulling him away from oncoming traffic (blind people can’t hear those dam electric vehicles approaching). Until the last couple of years no one has ever questioned his seeing eye dog and they have always been welcome at all public places. More recently he is frequently questioned and some places have tried to deny them access. This is because all the people with fake service dogs have managed to deledgitimentize acceptance of real service dogs. In my opinion people who try to pass fake service dogs as being ledgitiment should be punished as criminals.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
State law can't be changed to require proof of certification, because the federal law expressly forbids it.

This is from the ADA's website. ADA 2010 Revised Requirements: Service Animals Bold/underlined mine, for emphasis:
lawyers for the ada are scamming businesses. - Bing
Old 12-02-2019, 03:08 PM
Platinum member

I think the only emotional support animal that should be allowed is a shmoo.

A shmoo is shaped like a plump bowling pin with stubby legs. It has smooth skin, eyebrows, and sparse whiskers—but no arms, nose, or ears. Its feet are short and round, but dexterous, as the shmoo's comic book adventures make clear. It has a rich gamut of facial expressions and often expresses love by exuding hearts over its head. Cartoonist Al Capp ascribed to the shmoo the following curious characteristics:

They reproduce asexually and are incredibly prolific, multiplying faster than rabbits. They require no sustenance other than air.
Shmoos are delicious to eat, and are eager to be eaten. If a human looks at one hungrily, it will happily immolate itself—either by jumping into a frying pan, after which they taste like chicken, or into a broiling pan, after which they taste like steak. When roasted they taste like pork, and when baked they taste like catfish. Raw, they taste like oysters on the half-shell.
They also produce eggs (neatly packaged), milk (bottled, grade-A), and butter—no churning required. Their pelts make perfect bootleather or house timbers, depending on how thick one slices them.
They have no bones, so there's absolutely no waste. Their eyes make the best suspender buttons, and their whiskers make perfect toothpicks. In short, they are simply the perfect ideal of a subsistence agricultural herd animal.
Naturally gentle, they require minimal care and are ideal playmates for young children. The frolicking of shmoos is so entertaining (such as their staged "shmoosical comedies") that people no longer feel the need to watch television or go to the movies.
Some of the more tasty varieties of shmoo are more difficult to catch, however. Usually shmoo hunters, now a sport in some parts of the country, use a paper bag, flashlight, and stick to capture their shmoos. At night the light stuns them, then they may be whacked in the head with the stick and put in the bag for frying up later on.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I think the only emotional support animal that should be allowed is a shmoo.

A shmoo is shaped like a plump bowling pin with stubby legs. It has smooth skin, eyebrows, and sparse whiskers—but no arms, nose, or ears. Its feet are short and round, but dexterous, as the shmoo's comic book adventures make clear. It has a rich gamut of facial expressions and often expresses love by exuding hearts over its head. Cartoonist Al Capp ascribed to the shmoo the following curious characteristics:

They reproduce asexually and are incredibly prolific, multiplying faster than rabbits. They require no sustenance other than air.
Shmoos are delicious to eat, and are eager to be eaten. If a human looks at one hungrily, it will happily immolate itself—either by jumping into a frying pan, after which they taste like chicken, or into a broiling pan, after which they taste like steak. When roasted they taste like pork, and when baked they taste like catfish. Raw, they taste like oysters on the half-shell.
They also produce eggs (neatly packaged), milk (bottled, grade-A), and butter—no churning required. Their pelts make perfect bootleather or house timbers, depending on how thick one slices them.
They have no bones, so there's absolutely no waste. Their eyes make the best suspender buttons, and their whiskers make perfect toothpicks. In short, they are simply the perfect ideal of a subsistence agricultural herd animal.
Naturally gentle, they require minimal care and are ideal playmates for young children. The frolicking of shmoos is so entertaining (such as their staged "shmoosical comedies") that people no longer feel the need to watch television or go to the movies.
Some of the more tasty varieties of shmoo are more difficult to catch, however. Usually shmoo hunters, now a sport in some parts of the country, use a paper bag, flashlight, and stick to capture their shmoos. At night the light stuns them, then they may be whacked in the head with the stick and put in the bag for frying up later on.
I have a feeling your mother's hair turned gray early. Me. I enjoy your humor. Merry Christmas Rap.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
I wish places would enforce this more. Service dogs, yes. Emotional support dogs, no
Old 12-02-2019, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

One of the biggest problems with the ESD they are taking up space in plane cabins. There are x number of dogs allowed in the cabin. They could be taking the space of a true service dog. The ESD are a hot button for me.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:30 PM
Sage

I remember when they had "smoking" sections on airplanes and in restaurants. Maybe it's time for "service and/or support animal" sections. That "may" not violate the Federal ADA law.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Ah. I agree then. The thread started as an inquiry about Florida state law, and Antone wanting to introduce a bill that allows restrictions on emotional support animals (at least I think that's what it was, I don't EVER use Bing and would never click on a bing search result link). I google searched the wording in the OP's title and came up with only one article on the first page that was recent, and about the topic of Florida emotional support animal laws.

I feel that there needs to be some kind of tag, that would come with a HUGE penalty if used fraudulently. Worn on the collar of the animal.

I feel the state laws need to enforce the "4 on the floor" restrictions - if it's in a stroller, baby carriage or doggy-buggy, or in the arms of its owner, then it is not "on duty" and is therefore a pet, not a therapy/support/whatever animal at that time.

The leash needs to NOT be retractable - no exceptions. I don't care if it's in the locked position. An ACTUAL therapy/service/support animal would not be on duty, with one of those leashes, and the owner would be trained to never use them.

The animal should not be allowed more than a certain distance from its owner, in public, period.

The owner should not permit anyone to touch their service animal when it's on duty, except in emergencies (like if the dog got injured and needed to be carried to the hospital).

If any of these things are not happening, then it is clearly NOT on duty, regardless of what the owner claims. If it's not on duty, then it is acting as a pet. And should be treated as such by the establishment.
Agree, all of it.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:33 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

I like the one that say support dog in training. What a joke
Old 12-02-2019, 11:33 PM
Veteran member

at johnny rockets a owner let his dog lick his dish clean
Old 12-03-2019, 06:39 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

It's a problem where many feel the law does not apply to them. They steal from everyone else. This applies to fake support dogs, fake service dogs, many people who retain the handicap parking pass when no longer needed and those that have fake special accommodation golf cart status.

If folks really have these because they require them than I support their rights 1000%. Those that are gaming the system and abusing the privilege should somehow be severely punished. And I know folks who are abusing this and think it's OK. And I do let them know exactly how I feel. A face to face "your scamming the system" confrontation.

I know a doctor who get a handicap parking pass for a legitimate reason. Then the reason was corrected. He still uses it on a regular basis. And I call him on it every time I see the abuse. He drives to the golf course, parks in a handicap spot, takes his golf bag from his car and walks and carries his bag for 18 holes of golf. To me that is unacceptable.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:03 AM

I do not like to see a dog by the deli counters. I have seen a cat and big dogs in deli areas, the dog was shaking his head and body (as if it
just had a bath) hair was flying everywhere. I immediately told a clerk. I was told they have no right to ask questions regarding
service animals. If one animal is allowed all animals are allowed. You can buy a service vest with papers on internet for about $10.00.
THE LAWS APPLY TO ALL.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:11 AM
Sage

Yes, you can buy a service vest, but the ADA law doesn't even require a vest. You can even self-train your dog, and it becomes a legal service animal.
Closed Thread

Tags
support, florida, subject, view, lawmakers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.