Florida lawmakers working on bill to limit support of emotional support animals.

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2019, 03:56 PM

I'm continually amazed at the lengths people will go to to bring their pets everywhere they go. Animals have their place--and it isn't in grocery stores and restaurants. I witnessed a woman trying to bring her dog into Carrabba's Restaurant. When the hostess asked her for her papers proving the dog is a service animal, the woman left in a huff. Emotional support animal? Come on! If businesses don't start cracking down on this trend, it's going to get out of hand. Some people are like children; they'll test the system until they suffer the consequences.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

1. This is confusing. The link in the OP refers to an article which references the law passed in 2006 to allow restaurants to permit dogs in outdoor seating, and the abuse of that law is permitting. It does address so called service dogs.

2. This thread is discussing a complete opposite bill that is introduced to satisfy the ongoing problem of folks calling their dogs "service animals" to keep from paying a fee for animals in condos apartment buildings.

You say you have an '''emotional support’ animal? This bill says, ‘Not so fast.’

They are very specific situations but all involve the law in Florida....which clearly states...

"The ADA defines a service animal as a dog that is individually trained to perform tasks or do work for the benefit of a person with a disability. (In some cases, a miniature horse may also qualify as a service animal under the ADA.) The tasks or work the animal does must be directly related to the person’s disability.

Neither law covers pets or what some call “emotional support animals”: animals that provide a sense of safety, companionship, and comfort to those with psychiatric or emotional disabilities or conditions. Although these animals often have therapeutic benefits, they are not individually trained to perform specific tasks for their handlers. Under the ADA and Florida law, owners of public accommodations are not required to allow emotional support animals, only service animals (including psychiatric service dogs).

Florida Laws on Service Dogs and Emotional Support Animals | Nolo).

It appears on the surface we are speaking of business's that are not enforcing. The laws on the books seem clear to me on how to handle this, but it requires business owners to step up

All the laws I researched seem clear but be wary that these laws vary slightly from state to state.

It looks like the pressure should be brought to bear BY THE BUSINESS owners.

Discussion on what the law says or does not say is easily found, but it will do nothing is not enforced.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
And no where does it say a self trained and self certified animal is considered a legal service animal. In fact it states just the opposite.
"Q5. Does the ADA require service animals to be professionally trained?
A. No. People with disabilities have the right to train the dog themselves and are not required to use a professional service dog training program."

So, if someone trains his or her own dog to do a task, and they don't need to do anything but to say what task it can do, how is that "illegal"? In my opinion, that makes it a legal service animal.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,927 Times in 2,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Something needs to be done to change the Federal ADA law. My brother is legally blind and is on his third highly trained seeing eye dog. He could not get around without his dog, and his dogs have more than once saved his life by pulling him away from oncoming traffic (blind people can’t hear those dam electric vehicles approaching). Until the last couple of years no one has ever questioned his seeing eye dog and they have always been welcome at all public places. More recently he is frequently questioned and some places have tried to deny them access. This is because all the people with fake service dogs have managed to deledgitimentize acceptance of real service dogs. In my opinion people who try to pass fake service dogs as being ledgitiment should be punished as criminals.

I agree. If you need emotional support from animal 🦔 it’s mental problem. The blind IMO are the only true service dogs other than very few who medical condition may need animal to sense emergency which would be very low number like same odds as winning pick 5 lotto game. Which means if you see one other than with blind person it’s miracle.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Same old story a few ruin it for all They have to pass legislation and hopes it curbs abuse
How many times has legislation curbs abuse? ??????? I can’t think of one.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I think the only emotional support animal that should be allowed is a shmoo.

A shmoo is shaped like a plump bowling pin with stubby legs. It has smooth skin, eyebrows, and sparse whiskers—but no arms, nose, or ears. Its feet are short and round, but dexterous, as the shmoo's comic book adventures make clear. It has a rich gamut of facial expressions and often expresses love by exuding hearts over its head. Cartoonist Al Capp ascribed to the shmoo the following curious characteristics:

They reproduce asexually and are incredibly prolific, multiplying faster than rabbits. They require no sustenance other than air.
Shmoos are delicious to eat, and are eager to be eaten. If a human looks at one hungrily, it will happily immolate itself—either by jumping into a frying pan, after which they taste like chicken, or into a broiling pan, after which they taste like steak. When roasted they taste like pork, and when baked they taste like catfish. Raw, they taste like oysters on the half-shell.
They also produce eggs (neatly packaged), milk (bottled, grade-A), and butter—no churning required. Their pelts make perfect bootleather or house timbers, depending on how thick one slices them.
They have no bones, so there's absolutely no waste. Their eyes make the best suspender buttons, and their whiskers make perfect toothpicks. In short, they are simply the perfect ideal of a subsistence agricultural herd animal.
Naturally gentle, they require minimal care and are ideal playmates for young children. The frolicking of shmoos is so entertaining (such as their staged "shmoosical comedies") that people no longer feel the need to watch television or go to the movies.
Some of the more tasty varieties of shmoo are more difficult to catch, however. Usually shmoo hunters, now a sport in some parts of the country, use a paper bag, flashlight, and stick to capture their shmoos. At night the light stuns them, then they may be whacked in the head with the stick and put in the bag for frying up later on.
Sounds like the movie gremlin’s? And know how those lovable pets turned out. Also I think you been taking on snip hunting trip?
Old 12-03-2019, 05:42 PM
Veteran member

I was on a flight and fell asleep. I awakened to a feeling of wetness on my arm and saw the the dachsund on the lap of a man next to me was licking my arm. The man was apparently ok with this because he made a slight adjustment but left the dog essentially where he was initially. I consider this unsanitary. You never know where that dog had previously licked.

Last edited by rmd2; 12-03-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:33 AM
Default support dogs

In training ??????? What is up with that.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:50 AM

Robot Check

does not make a "service" dog.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:43 AM

GET A LIFE! There are so many important issues that the legislature could be spending their time on than to respond to a FEW people with nothing better to do! There has to be a middle ground. Go to Europe (my experience is in Germany). You'll find dogs in all kinds of public places including restaurants and bars on a regular basis. I personally don't take my dog to those places on a regular basis but there have been times when I am out and need to make a quick stop at Publix and my 10# dog is with me in the care that it would be nice to take her in with me as a matter of convenience but I don't even though I've seen people in there with theirs. We don't need legislation to do the right thing. Our legislature needs to be spending time on fixing Education, Medical Care, Cost of living, Infrastructure, Global Warming, etc, etc, etc..

My 2 cents worth
Old 12-04-2019, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick010207 View Post
GET A LIFE! There are so many important issues that the legislature could be spending their time on than to respond to a FEW people with nothing better to do! There has to be a middle ground. Go to Europe (my experience is in Germany). You'll find dogs in all kinds of public places including restaurants and bars on a regular basis. I personally don't take my dog to those places on a regular basis but there have been times when I am out and need to make a quick stop at Publix and my 10# dog is with me in the care that it would be nice to take her in with me as a matter of convenience but I don't even though I've seen people in there with theirs. We don't need legislation to do the right thing. Our legislature needs to be spending time on fixing Education, Medical Care, Cost of living, Infrastructure, Global Warming, etc, etc, etc..

My 2 cents worth
I have a life and I think your reaction is also extreme.

The businesses who must balance this are afraid of being sued because of the ADA and before any thoughts enter your mind, believe me when I say I fully understand what having a handicap means.

It isn't fair for people to bring their emotional support animals anywhere that would be a bother to others. The dear animals do not have a vote and bear the brunt of their owners bad judgement.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:

My 2 cents worth
Yeah, right. Let's have a menagerie wherever we go and focus on global warming---what a joke
Old 12-04-2019, 03:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

My 2 cents worth
You have overvalued.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

My 2 cents worth
Europe is Europe and here is here. (How's that for depth?) When in Rome...

The point is frauds are making it hard on the people who really need a service dog. And the law is making it easy on the frauds.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Europe is Europe and here is here. (How's that for depth?) When in Rome...

The point is frauds are making it hard on the people who really need a service dog. And the law is making it easy on the frauds.
And there is a tremendous amount of fraud. The problem is utilizing the family physician as the gatekeeper for a letter to allow ESAs. It is very hard to say no to these requests, and most physicians just give it to their patient. Personally, I never signed a letter for an ESA, instead I told the patient that if their mental health problem is so extensive that they cannot be separated from their furry friend even for a trip to the grocery store, then they need to see a psychiatrist who is more qualified to evaluate their request. Surprise, surprise---not one of the dozens of patients that I made this offer to ever made the appointment. I guess their need for a four legged furball wasn't as dire as they first described.
Closed Thread

Tags
support, florida, subject, view, lawmakers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.