Florida lawmakers working on bill to limit support of emotional support animals.

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2019, 07:29 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
at johnny rockets a owner let his dog lick his dish clean
Now that is just gross. What is wrong with people?
Old 12-03-2019, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Same old story a few ruin it for all They have to pass legislation and hopes it curbs abuse
Old 12-03-2019, 07:43 AM
Default Emotional Support animals

I can see where some company is needed such as a pet especially if living alone. But, taking a animal into a restaurant should not be allowed where people are eating or shopping for groceries. There was a story in the paper some time ago about a pony being brought into a first watch restaurant. The manager was told this is for emotional support. I am sorry but I would have gotten up and left no matter what stage of eating I was in. Where does it end? Bottom line …. I believe no animals should be in restaurants and stores. I believe this emotional thing is being taken advantage of.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:21 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

I’m all in for an “emotional animal support law” that is fair and protects public health. Obviously, there are many abuses which have been pointed out in this thread. It’s not about dogs but about people.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I love cats and dogs. We have two kitties, Mikey 17 and Bootsie 3. We so enjoy our friends puppies and Lucy and Crosby are two very dear to us.

I do think that people sometimes don't have good sense about their loved furry companions and often act selfishly about them. Just as people these days are not having reasonable rules and expectations for their children.

We tried to raise our children and handle our pets so that everyone who knew them would love them too.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Veteran member

Finally!! This has gotten out of control. I have been in a buffet restaurant where the owner feed the dog under the table! I was in another restaurant where the dog was actually eating and licking food right on the table!! One time I was in the airport waiting for my flight and two dogs really got into a very bad fight, barking, biting, yelping etc. but I am sure they were "trained" service dogs. I was recently on a flight where the very large golden retriever in row in front of me was sprawled out across the aisle and everyone had to step over the dog the entire flight. As passengers we are not even allowed to put anything at the foot of our seat unless it is all the way under the seat in front of us, but there you go, dog in the aisle is ok!! Don't even get me started on dogs and cleanliness in the grocery store! PLEASE do something.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:08 AM

Legally, emotional support animals are NOT allowed into food establishments; meaning restaurants and food stores. People can buy "certification" papers on line and all too many are doing this. Also, it's ILLEGAL to say your animal is a service dog. But that doesn't stop people from doing it. I wish the managers would have the courage to ask the people with emotional support animals to leave the premises. But it boils down to the almighty dollar, doesn't it?
Old 12-03-2019, 11:19 AM

My wife was in the Winn Dixie at Pinellas and watched as a woman with a foo-foo dog in her purse got a salad from the salad bar. As the woman bent over the purse dropped down and the dog was eating meat out of one of the trays. This was reported to the (busy) service desk but it did not appear that anything was done.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:19 AM

Legally Certified service dogs should be allowed anywhere their support person goes.

NO dog or other animal should be allowed on tables or chairs in restaurants or in shopping carts of ANY kind, whether grocery carts or shopping in Lowes', etc.
People should consider where their animal walks and uses the bathroom. I don't want their germ-laden feet or dander in any cart I may chose to use.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,619 Times in 5,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingal702 View Post
Legally, emotional support animals are NOT allowed into food establishments; meaning restaurants and food stores. People can buy "certification" papers on line and all too many are doing this. Also, it's ILLEGAL to say your animal is a service dog. But that doesn't stop people from doing it. I wish the managers would have the courage to ask the people with emotional support animals to leave the premises. But it boils down to the almighty dollar, doesn't it?
What law are you referring to when you say it is "illegal" to say your animal is a service dog? As I understand the Federal ADA law, anyone can self-train a dog to perform a task and then self-certify that the dog is a service animal. No other certification is required. Also, no documentation is required. There are only 2 questions that someone can ask about the dog. Is the dog a service animal? And, what task has it been trained to perform? That is the problem with the ADA law.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
What law are you referring to when you say it is "illegal" to say your animal is a service dog? As I understand the Federal ADA law, anyone can self-train a dog to perform a task and then self-certify that the dog is a service animal. No other certification is required. Also, no documentation is required. There are only 2 questions that someone can ask about the dog. Is the dog a service animal? And, what task has it been trained to perform? That is the problem with the ADA law.
What a hock! imagine if that’s how we got our driver’s license. But, officer ... I’m self certified....
Old 12-03-2019, 12:15 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
You need to go read the ADA because that statement is just not factual.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:17 PM
Veteran member

Sorry if I sound like a scrouge but I have to voice my opinion which I think is also the opinion of many of the quite majority. More and more people are abusing emotional support and more of us should take issue with it. I don't like or want a dog next to me in a movie or clearly in a restaurant or airplane. I have no issue at all with real service dogs but this idea of emotional support is out of hand and being abused by pet owners who think everyone loves their pet. These people are rude, inconsiderate of others and tend to create unsanitary conditions. I have real trouble understanding why anyone would become a servant to their dog and wheel them around in a carriage or take them into a crowded situation like the square or store where they have to constantly keep them out of the way of people (although many of these owners seem to think the pet has the priority and you should stay out of their way). There was even one Villages restaurant that advertised they will serve your dog > WOW, my reply to them was we don't eat in any restaurant that serves dog food, they shortly stopped that advertisement. We have had our share of dogs and would never have considered putting them in some of the situations we see "Emotional pets" in today.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,619 Times in 5,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
You need to go read the ADA because that statement is just not factual.
I'm not sure what is inaccurate. Here is a link with frequently asked questions about the ADA law.

Frequently Asked Questions about Service Animals and the ADA
Old 12-03-2019, 03:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
I'm not sure what is inaccurate. Here is a link with frequently asked questions about the ADA law.

Frequently Asked Questions about Service Animals and the ADA
And no where does it say a self trained and self certified animal is considered a legal service animal. In fact it states just the opposite.

Tags
support, florida, subject, view, lawmakers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.