Florida Oranges

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2020, 06:54 PM
Veteran member
Default Florida Oranges

Where do you buy them?
Are they seedless?
Old 06-26-2020, 08:43 PM

Tis the end of Florida orange season. They are produced October to June but are most plentiful December thru February; that is when you will see them everywhere on roadside stands. The ones I have always gotten do have seeds.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:57 AM
Default Florida vs California Oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
Where do you buy them?
Are they seedless?

I believe that most Florida oranges are grown for Juice. Seeded, Valencia oranges (I think). California on the other coast grows a good deal of Navel oranges that are seedless and what you find for 'eating' rather than juicing.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:57 AM
Veteran member

Honeybell Tangelos are a great Florida breed if you like sweet, juicy, seedless oranges. They are usually available in the Farmers Market in Brownwood and elsewhere in the January-February timeframe. I actually prefer Temple Oranges, another Florida brand, despite them having a ton of seeds. They are just the sweetest, juiciest oranges ever. However, almost nobody grows them anymore and when they do, they often sell them out of state for top dollar. Honeybells are my fallback orange.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:00 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
Honeybell Tangelos are a great Florida breed if you like sweet, juicy, seedless oranges. They are usually available in the Farmers Market in Brownwood and elsewhere in the January-February timeframe. I actually prefer Temple Oranges, another Florida brand, despite them having a ton of seeds. They are just the sweetest, juiciest oranges ever. However, almost nobody grows them anymore and when they do, they often sell them out of state for top dollar. Honeybells are my fallback orange.
I wish more people grew oranges in their yards, especially in courtyards where the heat on the walls would help them survive.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
I wish more people grew oranges in their yards, especially in courtyards where the heat on the walls would help them survive.
Can they be successfully grown here?

Turns out we have a lemon tree in our yard which unfortunately has not borne fruit for past few years,
Old 06-30-2020, 04:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Can they be successfully grown here? Turns out we have a lemon tree in our yard which unfortunately has not borne fruit for past few years,
I am pretty ignorant on growing fruiting plants, but I thought I'd heard that you need at least two trees of any kind of citrus to cross-pollinate them. And you might need enough other flowering plants around to draw in the bees to do the pollination. But I could be completely wrong here.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:18 PM
Veteran member

Are you kidding? Back in the 60's when you drove South on what is now just the Turnpike (Sunshine State Parkway then) South of 44 and you reached a few miles below Leesburg there were nothing but orange groves on both sides for miles and miles.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
Are you kidding? Back in the 60's when you drove South on what is now just the Turnpike (Sunshine State Parkway then) South of 44 and you reached a few miles below Leesburg there were nothing but orange groves on both sides for miles and miles.
Considering how the ground was dug up around here is the soil in the TV still conducive to growing oranges?
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, oranges, buy, seedless

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.