Florida used car sales tax when trading?

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2022, 07:58 AM
Default Florida used car sales tax when trading?

What if I traded down and my trade in was worth more than the car I traded on. What if I traded a individual even, would we both have to pay and who determines the amount to be taxed. I did a search and couldn’t find the answer. Could be just me. Looking for facts not opinions. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-15-2022, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

If you are buying or trading a vehicle with a private party, the Florida DMV recommends that you complete the transaction at the DMV office.
Old 10-15-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If you are buying or trading a vehicle with a private party, the Florida DMV recommends that you complete the transaction at the DMV office.
Thanks for the reply, doesn’t really answer the question but I intend to make a call on Monday.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

Florida will require both parties to pay the sales tax based on the book value of the car. You can see the requirement clearly stated

HERE

For non-clickers, with my use of bold and enlarged font:

Quote:
To be tax-exempt, the application for title, or the transfer of license or registration, must be accompanied by a sworn statement that includes a description of the motor vehicle, the name and address of the donor, a statement that the title of the vehicle passed without monetary payment or other consideration valued in money, and that no outstanding lien on the motor vehicle is being assumed by the applicant.
Clearly there is a valued monetary consideration in your situation, the value of the other car. What this exemption is saying is that if the car is given with a non-monetary consideration there is no tax. That phrase would cover such things as I gave my car to my grandchild out of love, not money. No tax due.

Keep in mind the sales tax is collected from the person who receives the car. So if you trade down, you pay the tax on the lower valued car you received, unless of course the difference in value is made up in a cash transfer.

Tags
traded, car, determines, amount, taxed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.