Flying Club

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2021, 04:02 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default Flying Club

A couple years ago I posted a thread about starting a flying club. Had some interest and lots of questions but was never able to get it off the ground. I ended up joining a flying club in Ocala who has a Cessna 172 that is full IFR with a glass panel and is maintained in excellent condition. Membership is an equity membership so you are part owner and able to sell that share when you leave the club. We currently have one opening for a new member. If interested you can PM and either send me a phone number or I can send you mine to provide you more details. My info is also posted on the AOPA web site under flying clubs based in Ocala under Sun Country Aero Club.

I have also come across an opportunity to start a new flying club set up with the exact same rules, by-laws, cost structure and capability as the other club and that will create another 6 to 10 openings for new members. That aircraft will be a Cherokee 180. We are still trying to find hangar space in surrounding airports so not sure where it will be based initially. Ideally both planes will be in Ocala at some point but Inverness, Leesburg, Dunnellon are also options. This club will take another couple months to get off the ground. MY INTENT: Will be to merge the two clubs into one at some point so members will have access to both planes. That may or may not happen as both groups would need to approve, but the benefits far outweigh the issues so I believe it will be an easy sell once everything is working.

So today we have one opening in the 172 club and very soon should have multiple openings in the 180 club. Please contact me if you interested in joining a great bunch of folks and either continue or get back into flying. We do have club approved CFII's at very favorable rates for you to get re-certified. At this point in time we do not take on new pilots until they already have their private license. So send me a PM (Private Message) or check the AOPA site where my e-mail and phone number are listed.

The Club(s) are set up (will be set up) with 3 buckets of money that pay all costs.
1. Cost of 1 equity share which is based on total club assets divided by number of members. This you buy to join and sell when you leave. So far share price has only grown so new members should make a few bucks on this over time.
2. Monthly dues. This is all cost to always have the plane ready to fly but never fly. This includes annual insurance premium, annual inspections, registration, hangar rent, state filing fee, IRS non profit filing fee and any other cost associated with maintaining a ready to fly plane. Again total cost dived by number of members.
3. Cost to fly. This is all cost that happens every time you turn the key and start the engine. Any and all maintenance required for actual flight. Tires, oil changes, wear and tear, certifications for IFR and radios, and engine reserve fund. Engine replacement is fully funded based on TBO time and current hours. Aircraft hourly rate is based on dry time so each member always leaves the tanks full when they bring the plane home.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this and I look forward to hearing from some potential members.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:43 AM
John41

Great idea.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:08 AM

Fractional ownership is a great idea. I had a brother in a huge flying club (3 aircraft) and he always could get a plane when he wanted. I have kicked around the idea of fractional car ownership here in TV. Imagine being able to take a 911 or Bentley to New Orleans for the weekend, but without all the ownership costs.

You would get a lot more interest if you were to open up to those seeking their private pilot license. But I understand that would mean less airplane availability.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:38 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

The biggest reason we don't take students is insurance cost.

Anyway right now we do have both planes, the Cessna 172 and the Cherokee 180 and each group has membership openings. So if any of you former pilots out there have any interest in getting back in the sky, send me a PM with contact info and I will give you a call to go over all the options.

Tags
club, cost, time, flying, based

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.