Follow up to PayPal issue

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2020, 07:52 AM
Default Follow up to PayPal issue

If you read my post from 3 weeks ago, someone sent me money into my PayPal account for their rent. I tried for three weeks to get ahold of them by email and text with no response. I messaged PayPal and they said it was out of their hands. Yesterday, I finally got an email from someone that was odd. Nothing in subject line and no signature. It just said to return the money which I want to do but am still wary about this. I emailed back and asked for a phone number but have not received an answer. Should I just send it back (not sure how)? Who would leave their rent money in someone else’s account and not answer texts or emails. Just very strange to me.
Thanks
Old 09-19-2020, 08:01 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

PayPal will fix, not an individual.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,020 Times in 5,321 Posts

If they want their money back they will give you a phone number or anything else that is reasonable.

Scam alert
Old 09-19-2020, 08:30 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltma View Post
If you read my post from 3 weeks ago, someone sent me money into my PayPal account for their rent. I tried for three weeks to get ahold of them by email and text with no response. I messaged PayPal and they said it was out of their hands. Yesterday, I finally got an email from someone that was odd. Nothing in subject line and no signature. It just said to return the money which I want to do but am still wary about this. I emailed back and asked for a phone number but have not received an answer. Should I just send it back (not sure how)? Who would leave their rent money in someone else’s account and not answer texts or emails. Just very strange to me.
Thanks
There is a simple way to get wrong payment back thru PayPal.
i sent'-'money'-'to'-'the'-'wrong'-'email'-'address',''-'but'-'the'-'payment'-'is'-'completed'.''-'what'-'do'-'i'-'do

Last edited by Dana1963; 09-19-2020 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Correct post
Old 09-19-2020, 08:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

In a company the size of PayPal, this sort of thing happens all of the time.

It is not worth their while to follow up and resolve each incident separately but, unless they suspect fraud, the person who is missing the funds should have been reimbursed by now.

If you don't feel happy pocketing the money, wait a year then donate it to charity (via PayPal).
Old 09-19-2020, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,456 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Thanks
We already told you when this first happened - if PAYPAL isn't able to resolve, then don't worry about it. It's not your responsibility.

If the money is legit, then PAYPAL will resolve it. If PAYPAL isn't resolving it, then it's not a legitimate situation.

Stop e-mailing them. Every time you try to contact the individual people, you are validating their assumption that you're an easy target and will try to scam you again. Or worse - they'll sell your e-mail, name, and whatever other information you've already given them, to thousands of other scammers, who will try to scam you over and over and over again.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

I agree, something smells bad about this situation. If the person wants their money back they will be more forthcoming with information. Have you had this money transferred to your bank account or is it still being held by PayPal?
Old 09-19-2020, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Thanks
They got you biting, don’t take the hook, line, and sinker. Once they got you’re bank account the bait bucket will be empty.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:22 AM

Atleast once a week I get a phone call that I owe PayPal $299.00 and that I need to pay this immediately or face a heavy penalty.

I play along with them usually they are from India/Philippines/Nigeria, they end up frustrated and hang up. Time ranges from 5-7 minutes depending on the Country.

Call it " Payback " as opposed to " PayPal. I win every time. Lately though the calls have been less frequent hmmmm I wonder why ?
Old 09-19-2020, 01:15 PM
Veteran member

How would they get “you are” bank account?
Old 09-19-2020, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,456 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanTho View Post
Atleast once a week I get a phone call that I owe PayPal $299.00 and that I need to pay this immediately or face a heavy penalty.

I play along with them usually they are from India/Philippines/Nigeria, they end up frustrated and hang up. Time ranges from 5-7 minutes depending on the Country.

Call it " Payback " as opposed to " PayPal. I win every time. Lately though the calls have been less frequent hmmmm I wonder why ?
The reason you keep getting calls every week, is because you keep "playing along with them." If you had refused to play along with them from the very start, you would've stopped getting those calls a long time ago.

You aren't winning every time. You are losing every time. Every single time they call you AGAIN - you have already lost. You might not be out money, but you're out convenience, privacy, time, effort, and energy. Of course if none of those things have any value to you, then have at it.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Thanks
Forward the email to PayPal and just tell them to sort it.
Do not try to return the money yourself.
I would have no dealings with anyone other than PayPal.
It really sounds as if your account/computer is possibly compromised.
I have never known PayPal refuse to deal with a problem.
Big or small.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Forward the email to PayPal and just tell them to sort it.
Do not try to return the money yourself.
I would have no dealings with anyone other than PayPal.
It really sounds as if your account/computer is possibly compromised.
I have never known PayPal refuse to deal with a problem.
Big or small.
Me neither. I would be on the phone talking to PayPal and not email or text. Something stinks.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

this has scam written all over it, let it go
Old 09-19-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The reason you keep getting calls every week, is because you keep "playing along with them." If you had refused to play along with them from the very start, you would've stopped getting those calls a long time ago.

You aren't winning every time. You are losing every time. Every single time they call you AGAIN - you have already lost. You might not be out money, but you're out convenience, privacy, time, effort, and energy. Of course if none of those things have any value to you, then have at it.
Since I have as much time on my hands that I choose, as far as I'm concerned I win every single time.

As a matter of fact word must be getting around that my phone number is ...... well a complete total waste of time, the calls are less frequent. Sad.

I'm actually feeling a bit disappointed . I love it when I answer ... really I thought I owed more than that ? I thought it was xx + amount. Sometimes they hand it over to " Supervisor " which is great it's like hitting a grand slam home run.
Closed Thread

Tags
money, paypal, back, email, answer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.