Default PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
I did not make the payment, they did
Old 09-20-2020, 08:29 AM
Default PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
In a company the size of PayPal, this sort of thing happens all of the time.

It is not worth their while to follow up and resolve each incident separately but, unless they suspect fraud, the person who is missing the funds should have been reimbursed by now.

If you don't feel happy pocketing the money, wait a year then donate it to charity (via PayPal).
I don’t intend to do anything with this money, I just don’t want to get scammed
Old 09-20-2020, 08:31 AM
Default PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I agree, something smells bad about this situation. If the person wants their money back they will be more forthcoming with information. Have you had this money transferred to your bank account or is it still being held by PayPal?
Still in PayPal
Old 09-20-2020, 08:31 AM
Default PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
They got you biting, don’t take the hook, line, and sinker. Once they got you’re bank account the bait bucket will be empty.
Bank account not connected, only credit card
Old 09-20-2020, 08:33 AM
Default PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
Me neither. I would be on the phone talking to PayPal and not email or text. Something stinks.
They are not talking to anyone at this time due to Covid
Old 09-20-2020, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

It’s a scam. The money was sent to you using a stolen credit card. Then if you return it, it will go onto their personal card. Happened to my husband on his Venmo account which is owned by PayPal. He discovered the scam through a google search. The money is still sitting in his account.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi View Post
It’s a scam. The money was sent to you using a stolen credit card. Then if you return it, it will go onto their personal card. Happened to my husband on his Venmo account which is owned by PayPal. He discovered the scam through a google search. The money is still sitting in his account.
Interesting, what’s the solution?
Old 09-20-2020, 08:47 AM

My 89 yr old Mom was defrauded out of $200 from a company using Paypal. She doesn't have a paypal account but tbe company used paypal to process her order. She never received the goods and it is impossible to get Paypal to respond or to talk to anyone.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:14 AM

/////
Old 09-20-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltma View Post
If you read my post from 3 weeks ago, someone sent me money into my PayPal account for their rent. I tried for three weeks to get ahold of them by email and text with no response. I messaged PayPal and they said it was out of their hands. Yesterday, I finally got an email from someone that was odd. Nothing in subject line and no signature. It just said to return the money which I want to do but am still wary about this. I emailed back and asked for a phone number but have not received an answer. Should I just send it back (not sure how)? Who would leave their rent money in someone else’s account and not answer texts or emails. Just very strange to me.
Thanks
Sounds like a Scam, be careful. I would just leave the money untouched until PayPal gets in touch with you.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennyt View Post
My 89 yr old Mom was defrauded out of $200 from a company using Paypal. She doesn't have a paypal account but tbe company used paypal to process her order. She never received the goods and it is impossible to get Paypal to respond or to talk to anyone.
If she didn’t have a PayPal account she would have had to use a credit card. She should file a dispute with her credit card company.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:34 AM

NO, this has all the earmarks of a scam.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:48 AM
Veteran member

If you send them their money back, I believe that this will happen:

Soon after reimbursing them, your bank will realize that the initial deposit was a fraud. But your reimbursement was not. Therefore, you will loose your money that you "sent back", and the bank will at the same time remove their phony deposit from your account.

My advice is to ignore everything and wait for the bank to remove their "mistake".
In a year or two if that deposit still shows in your account, then I'd withdraw it and keep or spend it.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:03 AM
Veteran member

There should have been a way to refuse the money in the beginning.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:07 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,060 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltma View Post
If you read my post from 3 weeks ago, someone sent me money into my PayPal account for their rent. I tried for three weeks to get ahold of them by email and text with no response. I messaged PayPal and they said it was out of their hands. Yesterday, I finally got an email from someone that was odd. Nothing in subject line and no signature. It just said to return the money which I want to do but am still wary about this. I emailed back and asked for a phone number but have not received an answer. Should I just send it back (not sure how)? Who would leave their rent money in someone else’s account and not answer texts or emails. Just very strange to me. Thanks
Scammers are laundering stolen cash through money transfer apps, the Better Business Bureau (BBB) reported.

App users receive payments that can be several hundred dollars from an unknown account.

The user is then contacted by the account holder who claims they sent the money “by accident” and request the money be sent back.

The BBB says in some cases the initial payment came from a stolen credit card. When the money is returned the scammer replaces the information from the stolen card with their legitimate account information.

Since the initial payment was stolen, the card owner may become aware and cancel the payment, meaning that amount of money will be removed from your account.
Closed Thread

Tags
money, paypal, back, email, answer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.