Followed into the same career as parent

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2020, 06:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,137 Times in 881 Posts

That's so true in my case. My mom wanted to be a professional ballerina which she didn't get to do, but I did. After that career I went into teaching which is what my dad did!
Old 06-24-2020, 06:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todayscoolfacts View Post
Read an article about how kids typically follow their parents into careers. From my experience, I had to agree. My grandfather was a contractor, my dad was, and I followed.

Anyone else follow their parents into a career or have children that followed you?
My ex-wife and I are both English professors with Ph.D.s. So is our daughter. My ex-wife’s great-grandfather also had a Ph.D. in English.

My great-great grandfather, great-grandfather, grandfather, and father were all preachers, and I did a lot of preaching in my younger days, world wide. Five generations.

My ex-wife’s father and little brother are both cardiologists and went to the same schools and hospitals for their college, med school, and residencies. Her father’s father, grandfather, and great-grandfather were also physicians, going back to the 1830s. Five generations.

I have a first cousin who was an outlaw biker who did three long stints in penitentiaries. His son has done the same. I’m hoping he’s had a vasectomy.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:07 AM
Location: 2769 Lyall Loop, The Villages, FL 32163. Village of Fenney

Well, I know that some women marry a person that has the same job as their father, I did and so did my niece. My step children were raised in my home from a very young age. Yes, my step daughter followed a similar career path as mine in the laboratory, so much for nurture versus nature, her biological mother is a performer. My step son married a girl that has the same body shape as mine (definite pear) and similar independent attitude. We all seek what is familiar to us, good or bad.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:12 AM

Kids took over the business....what a mistake!
Old 06-24-2020, 03:57 PM
Location: Naperville, Illinois and Liberty Park in The Villages

I admire you and the family for your career. Patrick Harrison
Old 06-24-2020, 04:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

My grandfather and father were farmers, but I went into the army and made a career of it. Back in 1965 and 1966 with the build up for Viet Nam you couldn't get a good job in my area unless you were in the Reserves or National Guard which was nearly impossible to get into.After the army I worked as a civil service employee for the state of Tennessee. I would have liked to have been a farmer but the cost of land and equipment was and is prohibitive to most people.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:00 PM

Definitely not. My dad was a police officer. I became a PE teacher; one child is an engineer and the other a marketing analyst.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

The traditionalists desire their offspring to follow suit. My dad loved his job and wanted so badly for his kids to love the same job. I tried, but it didn't afford me much fun time in college, so i switched. I wanted to go to a college I got into and he told me where I was going to college. It was a military academy, but i was not destined for the military. Got a medical exemption at graduation, and after 8 years, pfft! enough of that crap, my turn to do what I wanted. . . and happy ever since. . .

My brothers followed in our dad's footsteps, all the way, but I didn't see the world the same way as my dad or my brothers. My dad was a product of the agrian age and the depression in his beliefs, as well as the man as the head of the household. He had a very, very good career and pay scale as an engineer. But I also took the lesson away from that in that I wanted my kids to find their own career love, whatever that might be. I can't make them love their job, only they can find that for themselves.

But i got them the best education I could buy, so that they had a good start to find their own way.

sportsguy
Old 06-26-2020, 07:12 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

My Mother started a real estate company in '75. I started with her the next month. My daughter started with the company while in college. Her husband works with the company. My 37 year old son has finally decided he wants to move back to the beautiful Chesapeake Bay and join the family business! Grandkids will be next hopefully. My secretary has been with the family business for 40 years!
Closed Thread

Tags
career, parents, follow, contractor, grandfather

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.