Followed into the same career as parent

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2020, 09:58 AM
Default Followed into the same career as parent

Read an article about how kids typically follow their parents into careers. From my experience, I had to agree. My grandfather was a contractor, my dad was, and I followed.

Anyone else follow their parents into a career or have children that followed you?
Old 06-23-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todayscoolfacts View Post
Anyone else follow their parents into a career or have children that followed you?
Well not exactly.
Grandfather was a barnstormer with a Jenny.
Father was an AF pilot 28 years
I was named after an acft company and was a crew chief on F-15's.
My son was named after an acft company and is now an aerospace engineer. (rocket scientist)
A lot of aviation in our genes.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:15 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

///;

Last edited by Boomer; 06-26-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Father, Grandfather, and Uncle all worked in and owned the family business, I worked there summers and weekends, knew it forward and backwards. Went to college for engineering, and when I graduated I was offered the business, which I declined. I pursued my engineering career and ended up with a job that I loved for over 40 years, so I was an exception to the article.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Father, Grandfather, and Uncle all worked in and owned the family business, I worked there summers and weekends, knew it forward and backwards. Went to college for engineering, and when I graduated I was offered the business, which I declined. I pursued my engineering career and ended up with a job that I loved for over 40 years, so I was an exception to the article.
Seriously, they offered you the family business when you had just recently graduated from college?
Old 06-23-2020, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Men in my family for as far back as I can see, all seem to go to the military when young, so not to be left out I joined up when I was 16.
Should also mention, we are not endowed with much grey matter either!!
Old 06-23-2020, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,741 Posts

So right about women in engineering.

I studied engineering at the university because of my baby sitter. When I was 5 years old she would come after school, skipping happily, to play with me each day. I asked her once why was she so happy? She said because she was studying chemical engineering. I had no idea what that could be at that age but I decided whatever it was that’s what I’m going to study too.

I applied for engineering in the early 70’s. All the letters from the university were addressed to me as “Mr.” and I got admitted to the men’s gym, men’s club etc. When I went to class I was the only female among 60 students. There were 3000 engineering students at my university, only 6 were girls. There was no female washrooms in the buildings etc.
After my degree I went into elementary school teaching.

Last edited by Velvet; 06-23-2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I too saw the article. I'm familiar with a number of families where the kids followed a parent's career path. Two of my brother's kids follow him and his wife into teaching, two didn't. Neither of my kids followed me into Corporate America...I didn't have a specific career vision when I was growing up, so I followed my dad's and went into Corporate America (different professional specialties though)...after 30 years I finally escaped and ran my own business for 20 years. I made it a point to foster early conversations about career path options with my two offspring. Neither followed my path...one became a writer and has won 5 Emmy's the other works at MIT
Old 06-23-2020, 08:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Man View Post
Seriously, they offered you the family business when you had just recently graduated from college?
Yes, I was the only male child, and it was offered for me to take over, when I said no, they sold it and retired. Everyone was happy.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:19 PM
Michael Charles

I was a 3rd generation restaurant owner.

My Grandfather started in 1925. He retired from it in 1964.

My father opened up his own in 1964. He retired from it in 1984.

I opened up my own in 1984. I retired from it in 2010.

All 3 were entirely different businesses and all 3 were very successful.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:29 PM
Veteran member

Neither of my parents followed their fathers into business. My paternal grandfather owned a printing/lithography company and my mom's dad was a general contractor. My great-grandfathers were a Presbyterian minister in Wales and a fisherman in Italy.

As a child, I didn't really know what my dad did except that he worked in a lab with a lot of radiation warning signs and brought home mice every week to feed his pet python. If anyone asked me, I would say "scientist" with a bit of a vague question mark. (In reality it was the Naval Radiological Defense Laboratory which, whoa. So much environmental contamination.)

Dad spent four years in the Air Force and continued as a reserve into his 50s. I took the AF entrance exam when I graduated from high school, absolutely influenced towards that branch because of him. I changed my mind about joining, though.

My mother worked for a while as a secretary and insisted that my sister and I take typing and stenography classes in high school because "it's a dependable skill." We both have had clerical jobs at various points.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:40 PM
Default nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todayscoolfacts View Post
Read an article about how kids typically follow their parents into careers. From my experience, I had to agree. My grandfather was a contractor, my dad was, and I followed.

Not even close. Parents owned/operated a restaurant, I became software engineer.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:23 AM

My husband started working for McDonalds when he was 16. Worked thru the ranks for corporate and eventually purchased his own. We now have 7 restaurants. Our daughter is about ready to purchase her first from us.( yes, buy, We can't just pass the business onto our children, they have to be approved by Corp to be an owner operator, and it's not easy. We have to sell to her at a reasonable price also or McD will buy it themselves) Anyway....she will eventually own all 7. Our son and another daughter supervises some of them and have no desire to own. Another son does the maintenance for them. Daughter in law and son in law are General Managers over a couple if them. Currently have four of our grandkids working in the stores for spending money. One wants to make it a career. Me.....i handle the office work. Lol we are so ready to retire and hopefully soon. Absolutely love the family business we have all worked so hard at. 47 years !
Old 06-24-2020, 05:29 AM
Veteran member

3 kids . youngest became a sales person like daddy . middle is a teacherwhich mom tried for one year . oldest is a web involved experience designer . and studied art . go figure .
Old 06-24-2020, 05:34 AM
Veteran member

Something they don't teach you.

"I made it a point to foster early conversations about career path options with my two offspring"

All I said to the kids is in today's world, is its more important to enjoy your work. . if not you'll have fifty years to figure it out and switch jobs till you do .
Closed Thread

Tags
career, parents, follow, contractor, grandfather

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.