Ford Navigation System No Updates

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2018, 10:18 AM
Platinum member

Here is a recap

OP bought a brand new car with an expensive upgrade...built in Navigation

Car manufacturer has not issued any updates and OP is not happy and wants to know if others have similar problems with their make of choice.

OP is not interested in alternative solutions such as smart phones and aftermarket GPS, but this does not stop others from suggesting them.

That's about it.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:26 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Here is a recap

OP bought a brand new car with an expensive upgrade...built in Navigation

Car manufacturer has not issued any updates and OP is not happy and wants to know if others have similar problems with their make of choice.

OP is not interested in alternative solutions such as smart phones and aftermarket GPS, but this does not stop others from suggesting them.

That's about it.
We have a 2017 GM vehicle with navigation and there have not yet been any updates.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I purchased a 2017 Ford Escape in April 2017 with a built-in navigation system. Now, almost 2 years later, and Ford has never offered any updates. I still cannot even enter my own address, but have to use Walgreens as my home. Is anyone else irritated with Ford about this? I just talked with Ford's customer service, and all the lady could say was "I'm sorry". Navigation is an expensive option on a new car, but, if they never update it, why pay for it? Do other car makers treat customers the same way?
We have a 2013 Ford Escape and they do offer GPS updates. I have installed 2 updates, I got them online from a Ford parts website. My problem with them is they are approximately $100 and are not free. The map is on a SIMM card inside the arm rest box. You get a new SIMM card and change it out. They have them about every year.

I will never again purchase a GPS built in the car. I have a Garmin on my Harley and they have free updates approximately 3-4 times a year. The problem with the manufactures GPS is I am told they operate off of cell towers. I have had my GPS in the Ford start doing weird things and show me in the middle of a field and not on the road. Garmin operates off their satellites are always work. I don't think I will purchase any more Ford updates, I will use my Garmin instead.

I am sorry but I can not remember the web site, I would think the Ford parts department would have the answers.

Last edited by 427dave; 12-28-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

The 2017 models do not have a SIMM or sd card slot for the updates. Both the Ford website and customer service will tell you that there are no updates available. The dealer will tell you that the updates are free and that you get them via WIFI. That sounds great when you buy the car, but, so far, Ford has never provided an update.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I gave up with the Ford SYNC system, I have my own Garmin LIFETIME maps option, which are updated quarterly, simply plug in your Garmin to the computer, and the rest is automatic. BTW, Ford announced they no longer support SYNC, on a 6 year old car. I will remember this when we purchase our next car, separate user supplied nav system.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:39 PM
Veteran member

A lot of cars in the last few years can use a navigation app that's run a smart phone. You plug the phone into a USB port (some connect wirelessly) and the the app runs on the screen in the dashboard of the car.

So you see the map and directions on the dashboard screen as you would with the builtin navigation for the care. Waze is an app that a lot of cars support... I think the last few years of Ford's support the Waze app. It's not always completely seamless but at least you've got the map on the dashboard screen.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:51 PM
Sage

OK, most separate GPS units do not need connectivity to the cellular system (no impact to data plans), also, they do not report your location or any other information. These use satellite signals only, and depending on where you are going, I have had occasions where I had no cell service, hence, no maps, and had to guess where I was going. GPS on the other hand worked flawlessly, as long as you have access to a satellite signal.

However, there is a much broader question here, how long will a car manufacturer continue to support ALL of the on board computer systems? Imagine, you buy I nice new shine 2018 car loaded to the gills with sensors, safety features, etc, and a few years in the future the manufacturer says, oh well we are no longer supporting this model, my car just became a potential piece of junk. Now if you think I am being paranoid, consider that the car companies are starting to move to the leasing only option, something to think about....
Old 12-28-2018, 02:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
I purchased a 2017 Ford Escape in April 2017 with a built-in navigation system. Now, almost 2 years later, and Ford has never offered any updates. I still cannot even enter my own address, but have to use Walgreens as my home. Is anyone else irritated with Ford about this? I just talked with Ford's customer service, and all the lady could say was "I'm sorry". Navigation is an expensive option on a new car, but, if they never update it, why pay for it? Do other car makers treat customers the same way?
Quote:
I understand that there are other navigation systems, but I bought a car with a built-in navigation system, which is very convenient. The dealers tell you that updates are provided for free. The problem is that Ford has not provided any updates, free or otherwise.
Quote:
Thanks, but that site will charge you $150 for a navigation update on a 2015 or older vehicle. But, there are no updates for the 2016 and later models. Who would pay $150 to get a 4 year old navigation "update"?
Quote:
The 2017 models do not have a SIMM or sd card slot for the updates. Both the Ford website and customer service will tell you that there are no updates available. The dealer will tell you that the updates are free and that you get them via WIFI. That sounds great when you buy the car, but, so far, Ford has never provided an update.
I also have 2017 Escape which was purchased new around the same time as yours. The maps in my car are from 2015.

The problem with no navigation updates is discussed in detail here: 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 Ford Escape Forum
Look primarily in General Discussion and in Electronics, Audio and Lighting. I visit this site from time to time to keep up to date.

Bottom line: Ford updates for SYNC3 are free and available via WiFi. However, updates for maps are not free and are not released by Ford with any regular schedule. For a 2017 Escape, whenever a map update becomes available, it will be installed via a USB drive.

Most Ford sales reps and service reps are uninformed and confused regarding maps and SYNC3.

In reading other posts here, the same seems to be true for many other brands.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:59 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Am the only one who uses a Garmin Nuvi?
Nope, so do I -update it through the computer any time. I have a good friend with navigation on his Lexus - Three years old, never updated. He relies on his wife's iPhone. Would never pay the inflated price for onboard navigation. I paid less than $100 for my Garmin. And, I can plug it into any car and use it.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Nope, so do I -update it through the computer any time. I have a good friend with navigation on his Lexus - Three years old, never updated. He relies on his wife's iPhone. Would never pay the inflated price for onboard navigation. I paid less than $100 for my Garmin. And, I can plug it into any car and use it.
As mentioned earlier, I ended up getting Navigation on my old 2008 Acura, because I wanted some other items like a backup camera...and it only came as a package.

Not only was the Nav System substantially inferior (in accuracy/ease of use/overall quality) to just about anything else...Acura had the audacity to want $250 a year to update.

Yes, having a $100 Garmin stuck on the window of a supposed 'loaded luxury car' seemed strange, but the frustrations of using it (particularly with a balky voice system)...left me no choice.

I now use Google Maps on my new 2018 vehicle with my smart phone...and love the ease of use.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:46 PM
Sage

I don't want to connect my phone to the car every time I get in it, and I don't want to fumble with it either. The built-in navigation is very user friendly. I wouldn't even mind paying for updates. I use it all the time, even when I know where I am going. I like to hear the car lady's voice telling where to turn. But, I'm tired of living at the Colony Walgreens at 400 Colony Plaza, which is my navigation home because the car lady thinks my whole neighborhood is a blank screen to nowhere.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-28-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

They say never enter your home address into a nav system. If somebody steals your car, they can go right to your house and break in, cause they know you aren't there. better to put in an address one street away.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-28-2018, 07:48 PM
Sage

Thanks for the tip, but they can break into the Walgreens anytime. They will never find my house using my car navigation system. But, regarding your tip, did you put someone's address in your system who you don't like?

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-28-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:13 PM
Sage

I left in the old address from back up north, 1000+ miles away......
Old 12-28-2018, 09:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
They say never enter your home address into a nav system. If somebody steals your car, they can go right to your house and break in, cause they know you aren't there. better to put in an address one street away.
Quote:
Thanks for the tip, but they can break into the Walgreens anytime. They will never find my house using my car navigation system. But, regarding your tip, did you put someone's address in your system who you don't like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I left in the old address from back up north, 1000+ miles away......
None of these ideas matters. All of us must have our vehicle registration in the vehicle - typically kept in the glove box. For most of us, the registration shows our home address!
Closed Thread

Tags
ford, navigation, car, updates, system

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.