Fountain Algae

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2021, 08:46 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

Please do not hurt the birds with harsh chemicals in a bird bath. How would like to drink chlorine?
Old 06-05-2021, 10:07 AM

Be VERY careful using Chlorine bleach; it will destroy the seals and gaskets in the pump.

I have a waterfall and starting with a clean system I add the recommended amount of pond algaecide that I buy at Home Depot. Don't add too much as you will get foaming. Our waterfall has autofill that off of our reclaimed water line (sprinkler). It is not the purest and yet the algaecide keeps the algae under control for over a year.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:09 AM

Makes sense....copper is a great biocide and is used in boat bottom paint.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:54 AM

We have a small fountain that runs 24-7 in our birdcage. We have always used bromine glandular powder from the pool & spa store. Use only a "tiny bit" literally! You don't need to change the water. It will clear up on its own. We also use it in the cement bird bath in our garden . Keeps the water clear. ONLY A LITTLE SPRINKLE! One small bottle lasts about a year or more. We have been doing this for many years. Give it a try.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acordeiro View Post
Clorean
Hummmm…. I thought that was a man made material used for countertops !!

Oh, never mind….. that’s Corian !!
Old 06-06-2021, 04:42 PM
Veteran member

I've used chlorine tabs for years and all the birds and animals drink out of it. No casualties yet.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
My front yard fountain with the warm weather has developed a light (green) algae cover at the bottom. I have been adding algaecide clarifier that does not stop the problem. It was suggested to try hydrogen peroxide which also doesn’t work. I know I will probably have to drain the fountain, clean the bottom and refil, but I don’t want the same problem to start all over again. Any suggestions to remedy the problem will be appreciated.
You have encountered the eternal Florida Question. Shall the State Flower be Green Slime or Black Mold? Try dumping a gallon of vinegar in the fountain after you clean it out.
Closed Thread

Tags
problem, fountain, bottom, algae, drain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.