The four older Americans caught by Somali pirates have been killed.

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default The four older Americans caught by Somali pirates have been killed.

I feel so bad for their families.

Helene and I were talking about it just now and she said she wondered why they attempted to sail in those dangerous waters.

Those pirates really need to be stopped.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I feel so bad for their families.

Helene and I were talking about it just now and she said she wondered why they attempted to sail in those dangerous waters.

Those pirates really need to be stopped.
I can't believe in this day and age that all the world countries are putting up with this. They need to go ashore and level the place.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:29 PM

That is so awful...so terrible for their families.
Those pirates are really terrorists on water. You are right, Gracie.
They do need to be stopped.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

So, any suggestions on how to stop them without killing a lot of innocent people? The problem is that the waters have been fished out and fishing was the only industry. What the pirates are doing is obscene, inexcusable and inhuman. To stop them, the villages need to be attacked -- not just on the coast but inland. Some villages assist the pirates voluntarily -- their family members are the pirates. Some do it for payment. Some are forced to house and protect the pirates. Problem is which are being coerced and which are doing it voluntarily. Much like Vietnam, it is hard to tell the good guys from the bad guys.

This is going to get me flamed, but I honestly wonder if these 4 would still be alive had our warship not followed the pirates. Others had been ransomed and released. Some have died in captivity. It is so hard to know what is the right thing to do. Maybe trailing them once they have attacked and kidnapped someone is the best way. It may mean the death of a few more but it may also give the pirates the message that their behavior will not be tolerated. I don't know.

Regardless of what is the best way to stop this, the death of these 4 is a true tragedy and about an ugly an act as could be done. My heart and prayers go out to their families.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

I would like to see the U.S. Military send out armed decoy trade ships and when the pirates come out they get cut to ribbons. Let this happen a couple of dozen times and let's see if the Somali pirates continue to be so bold.

Real U.S. trade ships in the region should be equipped with four 50 caliber machine guns with trained gunners, 2 on each side and pirates would have no chance.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Founder

I think if we crisscross Somalia for several days with F-16s at tree top level and let them know that if it happens one more time, it will be elevated to the next level. Then do it.

Innocent people in Somalia need to take action to stop the pirates. The innocent people are sharing in the money that is being collected. It's the new national industry. There are no innocent people there.

JLK
Old 02-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I think if we crisscross Somalia for several days with F-16s at tree top level and let them know that if it happens one more time, it will be elevated to the next level. Then do it.

Innocent people in Somalia need to take action to stop the pirates. The innocent people are sharing in the money that is being collected. It's the new national industry. There are no innocent people there.

JLK
I agree, but our world view situation is in tatters already. I'm still for blasting every boat that comes within a half mile of a US ship.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
This is going to get me flamed, but I honestly wonder if these 4 would still be alive had our warship not followed the pirates. Others had been ransomed and released. Some have died in captivity. It is so hard to know what is the right thing to do. Maybe trailing them once they have attacked and kidnapped someone is the best way. It may mean the death of a few more but it may also give the pirates the message that their behavior will not be tolerated. I don't know.

Well I would suspect that the presence of the Navy vessel helped to keep the hijackers at sea and prevented help from shore from getting to them. Whether or not that is sound strategy is beyond me.
But in my opinion the killing of these four innocent people should have been a death sentence to those pirates.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Sage

No innocent people there? The children are guilty? The babies have committed crimes? The villages held at gunpoint are as guilty as those profiting from the pirates? Sorry, TH, but your assessment is nauseating.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
No innocent people there? The children are guilty? The babies have committed crimes? The villages held at gunpoint are as guilty as those profiting from the pirates? Sorry, TH, but your assessment is nauseating.

If you had murders living in your neighborhood, what would you do? You would do everything in your power to stop them or get rid of them, I hope. If you didn't, you would be as guilt as they are.

The people are allowing this to go on and they are benefiting from it, that's what's nauseating. Our innocent people are dying. Do their lives have any value?

You've labeled my assessment "nauseating." I'm eager to hear your plan on how to stop these butchers from killing Americans.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

There seems to be a lot of common threads between this and Afghanistan, including the not knowing exactly what to do !!!!

There are a lot of bad people in this world and how to deal with them SHOULD be at the top of our agenda because we, the USA, appear to be in the middle of all their bullseyes !

I agree with REDWITCH that TALKHOST's plan is not a good one at all, but I also understand were TALKHOST is coming from. All of our speeches are doing nothing to stop these bad people and I make no separation between these animals and any of those in various parts of the world that simply want to kill people. We have experienced video tapes of brutal murders, beheadings and the like. This should not surprise anyone anymore. I will agree with TALKHOST that the talking all around the world is not stopping it and the unrest in this world has grown to a very scary level.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
If you had murders living in your neighborhood, what would you do? You would do everything in your power to stop them or get rid of them, I hope. If you didn't, you would be as guilt as they are.

The people are allowing this to go on and they are benefiting from it, that's what's nauseating. Our innocent people are dying. Do their lives have any value?

You've labeled my assessment "nauseating." I'm eager to hear your plan on how to stop these butchers from killing Americans.
The idea of leveling a nation, of killing innocent babies and children is nauseating. If you don't see that, I'm sorry for you.

How about destroying every boat in Somalia? Put an embargo around the shorelines, with well-armed ships willing to blow any ship out of the water. Be pretty hard to be a pirate without a boat or a way to leave the shore. Then, get some sort of industry in there so these people can make a living.

It is not just Americans that have been slaughtered by the pirates. It is different nationalities. This is a human problem, not an American one. All countries need to work on this issue. It is one that should have been started 10 years ago. These pirates have been around a long time. They're just getting more brazen. As to the pirates, I vote they be keelhauled and then left in the water for the sharks.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 PM

It is painful to say this but, TH is absolutely correct. "War is hell" innocent people die in war. They died in Europe and they died in the Pacific but, as a result of their sacrifice, millions of people were saved. The U.S is losing respect around the world because of our inaction. I believe the time for talking is over. The four people that were just killed were innocent too. We need to act and act now.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Veteran member

Bottom line--four Americans were slaughtered. The people that did this are animals but unfortunately this world is full of these type of animals now-- Those that can kill and not even blink. Don't know the answer---just know that my thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of these four Americans.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Founder

We are no longer a super power. Nobody is afraid of us. They feel free to kill our people and destroy our country because they know that nothing will be done about it. They know that we are now steered by the thinking of people people who don't have the guts of our forefathers. We have shown ourselves as being spineless and weak.

A lawless country is plundering the world, killing innocent people stealing millions and millions of dollars. Then spread the money around to the population, it's the national industry.

Those of us who believe that firm and decisive action should be taken to defend our country, our people, and our reputation are placed in the category of "nauseating." How really sad is that.

By the way, "animals" don't murder people. Calling them animals is an insult of the animal kingdom.

Oh, and Red, nowhere in any of my posts did I say that they should "level the nation and kill babies." Please don't put your words in my mouth. You don't have to exaggerate what I said in order to try to find a way to validate your position.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.