Fraudulent Check Scam

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2021, 08:51 AM
Platinum member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I read the OP several times, and I still cannot understand what is going on. Someone wants to buy a wedding gift, and is also paying a wedding planner with the same check??? Anyone who falls for that scam deserves to lose their money.
No one DESERVES to lose their money. Not everyone is as smart as you and that's who these scumbags prey on. I got one of those checks and took it to seniors against crimes at the Sumter County Sheriff's office on 466. They deposited the check for me. In their shredder.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
No one DESERVES to lose their money. Not everyone is as smart as you and that's who these scumbags prey on. I got one of those checks and took it to seniors against crimes at the Sumter County Sheriff's office on 466. They deposited the check for me. In their shredder.
Okay, "deserves" may not be the correct word.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedfromGA View Post
Long story short: Communication via SMS messaging and Email requesting several Norwex products. The products were for a daughter’s wedding gift and needed to be shipped directly to the daughter. Once the cost (~$300) of the products were provided, the requestor indicated a check would be sent and not to order the products until the check was deposited. A day later another email was sent indicating a mistake had been made and the check included funds for the wedding planner in addition to funds for the products. The person requested we forward the extra funds to the wedding planner. The check arrived via FedEX overnight and was for $2,150.

Big “red flag” and loud bells went off. Yep, calling the bank we learned that the check was fraudulent.

Bottom line - once again beware of these types of scams.
Just never forget, nothing is for free and if it sounds too good to be good, it's probably fraud. When in doubt, delete email/text/voice mails. Stay safe
Old 09-02-2021, 10:46 AM

I have a great Norwex Consultant! If you still need products for the wedding gift I can give you her info. She is great and there will be no scam with her!
Old 09-02-2021, 10:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat#79Luv View Post
I have a great Norwex Consultant! If you still need products for the wedding gift I can give you her info. She is great and there will be no scam with her!
I think the person requesting the Norwex products was the scammer.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedfromGA View Post
Long story short: Communication via SMS messaging and Email requesting several Norwex products. The products were for a daughter’s wedding gift and needed to be shipped directly to the daughter. Once the cost (~$300) of the products were provided, the requestor indicated a check would be sent and not to order the products until the check was deposited. A day later another email was sent indicating a mistake had been made and the check included funds for the wedding planner in addition to funds for the products. The person requested we forward the extra funds to the wedding planner. The check arrived via FedEX overnight and was for $2,150.

Big “red flag” and loud bells went off. Yep, calling the bank we learned that the check was fraudulent.

Bottom line - once again beware of these types of scams.
Next time someone overpays for something, always a scam of course, I feel like I should forge a check and send it on to whomever they want. If they are fool enough to cash or deposit it, they are out the bad check fee.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
Next time someone overpays for something, always a scam of course, I feel like I should forge a check and send it on to whomever they want. If they are fool enough to cash or deposit it, they are out the bad check fee.
I hope that is a joke?
Old 09-02-2021, 02:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I hope that is a joke?
Joke? No, but trying to think of some way to inflict some pain on the scammers.

I don't mean legit overpayments, I'm talking about when these scammers send you $1000 over asking and tell you to pay the movers or whatever scam they are running. It'd be nice for them to eat a bad check charge. That of course, would be illegal and I'm not actually suggesting to do it.

Short of a Seal team kicking open their door and ventilating a few of them, I'm not sure it'll ever stop.
Closed Thread

Tags
check, products, funds, wedding, planner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.