Free Rice food being donated to the needy

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Eternal Member
Default Free Rice food being donated to the needy

I found this in my weekly SNOPES update. It is a fun game that tests your vocabulary skills and provides rice to the hungry around the world.

Be careful - it is addicting!!

At FreeRice.com, you can "donate" 10 grains of rice to the needy simply by choosing the right answer to a word definition problem. Each correct answer results in another donation of 10 grains.

FreeRice.com is the creation of 49-year-old American computer programmer John Breen, and is the sister site of Poverty.com, launched in January 2007 with a counter showing one person dying of hunger every 3.5 seconds. Breen is no stranger to such programs, having created The Hunger Site in June 1999.

As to who foots the bill for the food being donated, the site says: "The rice is paid for by the advertisers whose names you see on the bottom of your vocabulary screen." As more people play the game, the site racks up more advertising revenue, which in turn is converted into food donations for the hungry.

On 7 October 2007, the first day of the site's operations, only 830 grains were donated. As of 17 November 2007, the number of grains of rice given away amounts to 2,457,120,420

The rice is distributed by the United Nations' World Food Programme (WFP), an organization that in 2006 reached 87.8 million people in 78 countries.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/freerice.asp

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: Free Rice food being donated to the needy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman
I found this in my weekly SNOPES update. It is a fun game that tests your vocabulary skills and provides rice to the hungry around the world.

Be careful - it is addicting!!

At FreeRice.com, you can "donate" 10 grains of rice to the needy simply by choosing the right answer to a word definition problem. Each correct answer results in another donation of 10 grains.

FreeRice.com is the creation of 49-year-old American computer programmer John Breen, and is the sister site of Poverty.com, launched in January 2007 with a counter showing one person dying of hunger every 3.5 seconds. Breen is no stranger to such programs, having created The Hunger Site in June 1999.

As to who foots the bill for the food being donated, the site says: "The rice is paid for by the advertisers whose names you see on the bottom of your vocabulary screen." As more people play the game, the site racks up more advertising revenue, which in turn is converted into food donations for the hungry.

On 7 October 2007, the first day of the site's operations, only 830 grains were donated. As of 17 November 2007, the number of grains of rice given away amounts to 2,457,120,420

The rice is distributed by the United Nations' World Food Programme (WFP), an organization that in 2006 reached 87.8 million people in 78 countries.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/freerice.asp
Neat. I will have to check that out, ZCaveman. :bigthumbsup:
Old 12-05-2007, 06:18 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

I love it! 040

I also do this every day. It pays for mammograms:
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/c...ankyou_sitenav
Old 12-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Eternal Member

Thanx for the post, Z.

I'm not a big fan of UN-related relief efforts (some crook's gonna get rich), but I'm all for anybody trying to do something without gov't involvement. Congrats to Mr. Breen. I'm curious as to how much a couple billion grains of rice really are ~~~ I figure a billion anything is pretty much. Everybody ought to stop by and play for a couple minutes. It'll help raise a few bit of food for the starving and maybe help your vocabulary, tho I question some of the definitions.

And as you warned, the game is somewhat addictive, and not that easy. I played for a bit and couldn't seem to get above level 45, or even stay there for too long. Give it a shot, folks.

http://www.freerice.com/
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 12-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkpup

I love it! 040

I also do this every day. It pays for mammograms:
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/c...ankyou_sitenav
If you click on the "Remember to Click" on the left hand side, you will get a daily Email you can click on to get to the site. I do it every day also.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.