The Freedom to choose: The Villages or New York city

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Sage
Default The Freedom to choose: The Villages or New York city

The Villages versus New York City: Both are communities defined by boundaries and both have restrictions. All communities have restrictions of various types based on the particular community. We have deed restrictions and the word "restriction" implies some loss of freedom, however big or small. We can't have TV antenas on the roof and we can't get mail delivered to the house etc. etc..

New York City has "city ordinances" that also restrict certain freedoms.

We have the freedom to choose: We can live in The Villages with its restrictions or we can live in New York City with its restrictions.

Hopefully, people will do their research before choosing where to live. Most people know the character of New York City versus The Villages.

New York City dosen't get to determine our restrictions and we don't get to determine theirs.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Sage

The difference being we knew the rules when we got here - nanny Bloomberg is changing the rules during the game.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Gold member

I'm a NY'r TV wannabe. I can't wait till I become a full time TV'r. There are restrictions in the neighborhood I live in now but I'll take the restrictions in TV any day of the week. The restrictions in my neighborhood are not enforced and the people do what they want anyway even after complaining. I don't see that happening In TV and I hope that the restrictions will always be enforced. The villages are clean, manicured, well maintained & coordinated. This is one of the main reasons that attracted my wife and I to move to TV.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
The difference being we knew the rules when we got here - nanny Bloomberg is changing the rules during the game.
I've been happily living in The Villages for over 13 years and there have been some rule changes. There are provisions that make it possible for changes to be made.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
The Villages versus New York City: Both are communities defined by boundaries and both have restrictions. All communities have restrictions of various types based on the particular community. We have deed restrictions and the word "restriction" implies some loss of freedom, however big or small. We can't have TV antenas on the roof and we can't get mail delivered to the house etc. etc..

New York City has "city ordinances" that also restrict certain freedoms.

We have the freedom to choose: We can live in The Villages with its restrictions or we can live in New York City with its restrictions.

Hopefully, people will do their research before choosing where to live. Most people know the character of New York City versus The Villages.

New York City dosen't get to determine our restrictions and we don't get to determine theirs.
Are you kidding me? You are comparing TV to NY? On any level I wouldn't go there.

Have you ever been to NY? NY is a world class city, TV is a manuactured illusion.

Bloomberg is temporary.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
Are you kidding me? You are comparing TV to NY? On any level I wouldn't go there.

Have you ever been to NY? NY is a world class city, TV is a manuactured illusion.

Bloomberg is temporary.
The comparison is in regards to our freedom to choose what restrictions we will live by.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
The comparison is in regards to our freedom to choose what restrictions we will live by.
Why? Are you planning on moving to Canarsie?

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:17 PM

Canarsie? My husband lived in Canarsie for all of his teen years. He has many fond memories.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
Why? Are you planning on moving to Canarsie?
Is it something you think I should consider? Do you live there?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Is it something you think I should consider? Do you live there?
No, if I were you I wouldn't consider it, I somehow don't think it would be a good fit-LOL.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Veteran member

As someone who was born & lived a good deal of his time in upstate NY, we are sort of born with a gene that tends to make us automatically dislike NYC for a variety of reasons.

I do occasionally like to visit large cities, but I wouldn't EVER want to live in one. My parent's house was in the country & had 10 acres. My first house was a small farm with 40 acres. I'd always prefer to live where I don't see my neighbor by looking out the kitchen window, but I know plenty of people who would HATE that lifestyle.

However..comparing NYC to The Villages doesn't work. They are 2 entirely different lifestyles. Almost nobody comes to TV for any other reason but to retire. I doubt too many people move to NYC to retire.

If you leave out the Nanny McBloomberg question, virtually ANY community has various sorts of laws & restrictions that apply to life there. Some communities have more some have less.

In many ways where you live depends on what you want in your life. Comparing NYC to TV is comparing Apples to Onions.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
As someone who was born & lived a good deal of his time in upstate NY, we are sort of born with a gene that tends to make us automatically dislike NYC for a variety of reasons.

I do occasionally like to visit large cities, but I wouldn't EVER want to live in one. My parent's house was in the country & had 10 acres. My first house was a small farm with 40 acres. I'd always prefer to live where I don't see my neighbor by looking out the kitchen window, but I know plenty of people who would HATE that lifestyle.

However..comparing NYC to The Villages doesn't work. They are 2 entirely different lifestyles. Almost nobody comes to TV for any other reason but to retire. I doubt too many people move to NYC to retire.

If you leave out the Nanny McBloomberg question, virtually ANY community has various sorts of laws & restrictions that apply to life there. Some communities have more some have less.

In many ways where you live depends on what you want in your life. Comparing NYC to TV is comparing Apples to Onions.
Of course it's apples to onions, I never said it wasn't. The point is we get to choose what matters to us most. If freedom matters most, then we can look at that and compare one to the other.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Apples to onions? I know the term as apples to oranges. Assuming NYC to be the apple, I'd much prefer to refer to TV as an orange as opposed to an onion.

Love NYC, love TV. From totally different aspects. Restrictions are everywhere. Try living in a condo complex. What, you wanna spring-clean your boat or RV? You have two days to have it in your driveway. You wanna have an awning over your deck? Sorry. You wanna have a car parked in the apron of your driveway over the summer? Huh-uh. You wanna, you wanna...? We feel free down here!
Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Apples to onions? I know the term as apples to oranges. Assuming NYC to be the apple, I'd much prefer to refer to TV as an orange as opposed to an onion.

Love NYC, love TV. From totally different aspects. Restrictions are everywhere. Try living in a condo complex. What, you wanna spring-clean your boat or RV? You have two days to have it in your driveway. You wanna have an awning over your deck? Sorry. You wanna have a car parked in the apron of your driveway over the summer? Huh-uh. You wanna, you wanna...? We feel free down here!
I didn't mean any disrespect by using "onions". I use onions in my cooking everyday and I value them highly in my diet. On the other hand, I don't eat oranges because I prefer grapefruit. I eat grapefruit almost every day as part of my health regimen.

You say you feel free here. Well, I do too. But it's not because of a lack of restrictions. We have plenty of restrictions. I think we like it because we see the benefits of having them.

Sorry, I don't have time to complete this thought. To be continued:
Old 03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
I didn't mean any disrespect by using "onions". I use onions in my cooking everyday and I value them highly in my diet. On the other hand, I don't eat oranges because I prefer grapefruit. I eat grapefruit almost every day as part of my health regimen.

You say you feel free here. Well, I do too. But it's not because of a lack of restrictions. We have plenty of restrictions. I think we like it because we see the benefits of having them.

Sorry, I don't have time to complete this thought. To be continued:
I appreciate your thoughts and ideas, Villages PL. Just adding my two cents. I see the benefits of restrictions, both in the condo and here.

We did balk and fight, however when the builder up there arbitrarily decided there would be no satellite tv allowed. We fought back and won. It was against the FCC regs, what he was doing. So in my opinion, restrictions are okay (you know about them up front and choose to accept them when you decide to live in a certain place)... unless they are unlawfully infringing upon people's rights.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.