The Freedom to choose: The Villages or New York city

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I've been happily living in The Villages for over 13 years and there have been some rule changes. There are provisions that make it possible for changes to be made.
As far as rule changes go, as far as I know most, if not all of our "rules" are deed restrictions and those can only be changed by the original owner who wrote the restrictions and only prior to the first sale of the property. That is why many of us are here. The rules are here to stay. We just need to have the balls to enforce them.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
As far as rule changes go, as far as I know most, if not all of our "rules" are deed restrictions and those can only be changed by the original owner who wrote the restrictions and only prior to the first sale of the property. That is why many of us are here. The rules are here to stay. We just need to have the balls to enforce them.
Agreed. But... who is "we"? I think it should be up to the powers that be to consistently enforce the rules, and not leave it up to the residents to have to complain to someone who will then arbitrarily decide whether or not to enforce said rules (a la the "bushes on top of the berm" issue.)

Then we wouldn't have bits and pieces of stuff ignored here, and similar bits and pieces of stuff not ignored there, in the same neighborhood. I am simply not going to bring grief upon my neighbors unless it's a serious issue. At the same time, I would not be happy with the aggregate, piece-by-piece degradation of the neighborhood's property values due to restriction violations that were left unchallenged.

If you're gonna have rules, have enforcement in place. I still say it's passing the buck to put this on the homeowners.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Location: Living in the Villages after 26 years on the Upper Westside of Manhattan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
As someone who was born & lived a good deal of his time in upstate NY, we are sort of born with a gene that tends to make us automatically dislike NYC for a variety of reasons...

However..comparing NYC to The Villages doesn't work. They are 2 entirely different lifestyles. Almost nobody comes to TV for any other reason but to retire. I doubt too many people move to NYC to retire...
Actually, NYC is a great place to retire, if you have the means. I have many retired neighbors who enjoy an abundance of rich cultural experiences like art classes at the Met, an evening at the opera, the Philharmonic in the Park, lectures at the 92nd St. Y, etc. They have easy access to public transportation, fine dining and some of the best doctors in the world. The problem is that I would need to work 15 more years to retire in NYC, while retirement in TV is possible right now. It all comes down to affordability. After over 3 decades in NYC, I am choosing to gain those 15 years of freedom...

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
formerly of Manhattan and weekends on the Jersey Shore--now living the dream in Caroline!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg150 View Post
Actually, NYC is a great place to retire, if you have the means. I have many retired neighbors who enjoy an abundance of rich cultural experiences like art classes at the Met, an evening at the opera, the Philharmonic in the Park, lectures at the 92nd St. Y, etc. They have easy access to public transportation, fine dining and some of the best doctors in the world. The problem is that I would need to work 15 more years to retire in NYC, while retirement in TV is possible right now. It all comes down to affordability. After over 3 decades in NYC, I am choosing to gain those 15 years of freedom...

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
I agree. New York City would be a great place to retire if you have the big bucks it cost to live there. I don't remember NYC having a lot of restrictions when I lived there. Of course, there's always the alternate side parking issue.

My niece and her family live in the lower east side and absolutely love it. They are busy all the time. My niece still runs the NYC marathon every year, even at age 43. She was recently honored on the PBS documentary "The Makers", along with Hilary Clinton, Gloria Steinham, Sandra Day O'Connor, Condi Rice, Billie Jean King, and many other women who have made a difference. Cheers to NYC.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
As someone who was born & lived a good deal of his time in upstate NY, we are sort of born with a gene that tends to make us automatically dislike NYC for a variety of reasons.

I do occasionally like to visit large cities, but I wouldn't EVER want to live in one. My parent's house was in the country & had 10 acres. My first house was a small farm with 40 acres. I'd always prefer to live where I don't see my neighbor by looking out the kitchen window, but I know plenty of people who would HATE that lifestyle.

However..comparing NYC to The Villages doesn't work. They are 2 entirely different lifestyles. Almost nobody comes to TV for any other reason but to retire. I doubt too many people move to NYC to retire.

If you leave out the Nanny McBloomberg question, virtually ANY community has various sorts of laws & restrictions that apply to life there. Some communities have more some have less.

In many ways where you live depends on what you want in your life. Comparing NYC to TV is comparing Apples to Onions.
I can relate to your post. Having "seen it all" as we were born and raised in New Jersey but would visit my dad's relatives in New York City.
Then, as teenagers, we'd go on a "date" to a show or restaurant in New York City, but if truth be told.........more commonly we'd go for a Sunday ride looking for the "country roads" in N.J.........we were more country mice than city mice. Preferred farmlands and wooded forests to Central Park.

At age 25 we made the decision to relocate with our two year old daughter to rural Vermont........where we've raised our family for the past 43 years.

Our relatives in New Jersey told us we didn't live in "THE REAL WORLD".
I guess not. We returned down there less and less, over the years.

We could have lived anywhere, yet we chose a "country area"......

The Villages greatly impressed us as being very "GREEN" for Florida.....very picturesque , neat and orderly. Perfect for retirement.

No pot holes and no frost heaves sealed the deal.......especially after this past winter........our "lack of sunshine" up here certainly made Florida's perpetual sunshine much more inviting........

Upstate New York is beautiful..........Vermont's great neighbor to the west.

p.s. I can also relate to someone else's post on "condo rules and regulations" from first hand experience. Nothing can be as bad as the rules in the condo we owned on the Gulf of Mexico beachfront in Venice, Florida..........unbelievable Homeowner's Group.....very set in their ways, very rigid rules and bylaws. We didn't want to rock the boat, just wanted to add a stackable washer and dryer in our condo unit while we were totally remodeling the place.......so as not to have to go to the "laundry rooms" which were on every other floor (via elevator).........was so glad to get back to our house in Vermont with my own washer and dryer. It's the little things one appreciates.......after condo living. It came out beautiful.......gorgeous condo, gorgeous view.........but it didn't feel like home. Vermont has very few rules and regulations...at least not for homeowners in neighborhoods. Each man's home is his castle.........as it should be.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I appreciate your thoughts and ideas, Villages PL. Just adding my two cents. I see the benefits of restrictions, both in the condo and here.

We did balk and fight, however when the builder up there arbitrarily decided there would be no satellite tv allowed. We fought back and won. It was against the FCC regs, what he was doing. So in my opinion, restrictions are okay (you know about them up front and choose to accept them when you decide to live in a certain place)... unless they are unlawfully infringing upon people's rights.
I agree, the builder can't restrict certain basic rights, like freedom of speech. But other than basic rights, they can restrict almost anything they want to. Now that I've had some time to collect my thoughts, let me give a simple comparison to explain how you can compare The Villages with N.Y.C., regarding freedom.

We willingly give up many freedoms in The Villages for the betterment of the community. This is commonly done in most communities all across the country. So why single out the Mayor of N.Y.C. for his desire to create restrictions?

The Villages:

In The Villages, we give up the freedom to choose the exterior color of our house in exchange for a neutral (bland) color scheme. This restriction, a loss of freedom, was put in place by the developer. Why? Basically, it's a control issue. If left up to individual residents to choose their own color, they might not choose wisely. And this is seen as protecting the community.

New York City:

It's no different than what Mayor Bloomberg is trying to do in N.Y.C. He wants to control the portion size of soda and reduce it from 20oz. to 16oz. because he doesn't trust N.Y.C. residents to choose wisely. And this, like the previous example, is also seen as protecting the community.

Note: Whether one likes it or not is another issue.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Sage

New York or the Villages....That's a joke right ?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Sage

With all due respect, NYC and TV are two separate entities. They are to disparate in their lifstyles.

NYC - As Patty said, NYC is world class in terms of what is offered, plays, opera houses, museums, etc. If one can afford it, it could be a viable alternative to TV.

TV - With all that being said and done, TV is a well maintained place where one goes to enjoy the warmer weather and have a very active lifestyle of fun in the sun.

Being from N.Y., I have fond memories of being raised just outside the city but close enough to get to see a play and go back to the burbs. When I lived in a condo in CT, the rules and regu.lations were monitored by our board of directors who ran it like the owners didn't have a vote on anything. They knew what was better for us, like the Mayor of NYC. Like Patty said, he is temporary.

All things considered TV is a piece of paradise no matter what the rules and regulations that are imposed and NYC has other interest that some people would never leave to live in another city. NYC has much better restaurants but at our age and the sake of out waistelines, we don't need to eat more.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I agree, the builder can't restrict certain basic rights, like freedom of speech. But other than basic rights, they can restrict almost anything they want to. Now that I've had some time to collect my thoughts, let me give a simple comparison to explain how you can compare The Villages with N.Y.C., regarding freedom.

We willingly give up many freedoms in The Villages for the betterment of the community. This is commonly done in most communities all across the country. So why single out the Mayor of N.Y.C. for his desire to create restrictions?

The Villages:

In The Villages, we give up the freedom to choose the exterior color of our house in exchange for a neutral (bland) color scheme. This restriction, a loss of freedom, was put in place by the developer. Why? Basically, it's a control issue. If left up to individual residents to choose their own color, they might not choose wisely. And this is seen as protecting the community.

New York City:

It's no different than what Mayor Bloomberg is trying to do in N.Y.C. He wants to control the portion size of soda and reduce it from 20oz. to 16oz. because he doesn't trust N.Y.C. residents to choose wisely. And this, like the previous example, is also seen as protecting the community.

Note: Whether one likes it or not is another issue.
Check your deed restrictions. There is no restriction on the color you can choose to paint the outside of your house in The Villages.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Check your deed restrictions. There is no restriction on the color you can choose to paint the outside of your house in The Villages.
Do you live in the historic section east of 441? In that case, you may be correct. However, where I live in Belvedere I had my roof reshingled and there was no choice of color.

Like Henry Ford said, "you can choose any color you like as long as it's black."

You can choose any color you like to paint your driveway, but it has to be approved. And it will not be approved unless it's a bland nutral color that goes with the color of your house.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
With all due respect, NYC and TV are two separate entities. They are to disparate in their lifstyles.

NYC - As Patty said, NYC is world class in terms of what is offered, plays, opera houses, museums, etc. If one can afford it, it could be a viable alternative to TV.

TV - With all that being said and done, TV is a well maintained place where one goes to enjoy the warmer weather and have a very active lifestyle of fun in the sun.

Being from N.Y., I have fond memories of being raised just outside the city but close enough to get to see a play and go back to the burbs. When I lived in a condo in CT, the rules and regu.lations were monitored by our board of directors who ran it like the owners didn't have a vote on anything. They knew what was better for us, like the Mayor of NYC. Like Patty said, he is temporary.

All things considered TV is a piece of paradise no matter what the rules and regulations that are imposed and NYC has other interest that some people would never leave to live in another city. NYC has much better restaurants but at our age and the sake of out waistelines, we don't need to eat more.
If you read the opening post, it was not the purpose of this thread to compare the amenities of N.Y.C. with the amenities of The Villages. It was to compare the nature and purpose of restrictions whether put in place by the developer or by a city council.

After suggesting that N.Y.C. couldn't be compared to The Villages, you compared your board of directors in your CT condo to Mayor Bloomberg of N.Y.C. So it seems that comparisons are possible. I agree that governing boards or mayors are temporary, and so restrictions can be changed. But that doesn't change the fact that there will still be restrictions of one sort or another.

The question is: What is the essential difference between one loss of freedom and another, other than the fact that you might like one but not another.

Last edited by Villages PL; 03-19-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

the fact that you even has to ask probably means you should stay in NYC.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Holy smokes.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Sage

After suggesting that N.Y.C. couldn't be compared to The Villages, you compared your board of directors in your CT condo to Mayor Bloomberg of N.Y.C. So it seems that comparisons are possible. I agree that governing boards or mayors are temporary, and so restrictions can be changed. But that doesn't change the fact that there will still be restrictions of one sort or another.

I wasn't trying to make that comparison with Mayor Bloomberg and my late condo board of directors but they operate in a similar manor. My way or the highway.

Secondly, to me there is no comparison to be made between NYC and TV. It is a preference I choose to make. I have experienced both and my opinion is TV is the best place to be, to have fun.

To each his/her own.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I wasn't trying to make that comparison with Mayor Bloomberg and my late condo board of directors but they operate in a similar manor. My way or the highway.
And the villages is no different. The developer has written restrictions into the deeds and it's his way or the highway. If you don't believe it, just try violating any of the many restrictions. It was in the Daily Sun not too long ago that some people were putting in window airconditioners. Someone complained and that was the end of that. They had to be taken down.

Quote:
Secondly, to me there is no comparison to be made between NYC and TV. It is a preference I choose to make. I have experienced both and my opinion is TV is the best place to be, to have fun.
I would suggest it's because the specific loss of freedoms (i.e., restrictions) in the Villages are agreeable to you.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.