Fresh Market Swindle Returns

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2019, 10:08 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

///

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 07-21-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:10 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Steak without the bone at less than half price, depending on the cut taste just as good if know how to cook it. I really don’t like paying 10 bucks pound for bone.

Am I the only one who wants to respond to this, but does not want to be suspended???

You made my night.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
Once again, Fresh Market is selling steaks marked as the expensive, Porterhouse steaks. However these items are actually the lesser quality T-bone steaks. Despite the fact that I have spoken with the meat cutters, the manager of the store as well as corporate executives the swindle continues.
The photos attached are clear.
Here is a brief description of the USDA specifications.
While it’s true that T-bones and porterhouses are cut from the same section of the cattle, the short loin, and both hold the same kinds of meat, the NY strip and the tenderloin filet, the USDA has strict rules about how much meat belongs on a porterhouse or T-bone.

For a T-bone steak to qualify as a porterhouse, the filet is required to be at least 1.25 inches thick. Thickness is measured from the bone to the widest point on the filet. Porterhouses comes from the rear of the short loin, where the tenderloin is thickest. The result is an incredibly hefty cut of steak. Many porterhouses weigh in the range of 24 ounces and are served at steakhouses as meals for two.

…But a T-Bone Isn’t a Porterhouse
If a T-bone’s filet falls short of the 1.25-inch mark, it can only be labelled as a T-bone steak. It is important to note that a T-bone’s filet must be at least 0.25 inches thick in order to be sold as a T-bone. Otherwise, it might just be sold as a bone-in NY Strip or a “Club” steak.
john f. Johnston
Not long after Fresh Market opened I went to buy a "few" things to try them out. One thing I purchased was green beans which were supposed to be $1.99 per pound. I didn't buy that much but my bill was very high. I checked my receipt at home and discovered that they charged me 11.99 per pound for haricot verts (French green beans). I gave them the benefit of the doubt but went back with my beans and receipt and got my money back. The next time I went to buy Italian sausage, $2.99 per lb, on a recommendation. I went to wrap the sausage in plastic when I returned home when I noticed that "Center Cut Pork Chops $4.99 per lb" was stamped on the paper. I went back again with my receipt and sausage and asked for the manager this time. I was done with them but the manager kept saying that he would refund my entire purchase. I told him that it wouldn't be necessary because I wouldn't return either way. I didn't go back for a couple of years but a day or so before Christmas we were returning from Ocala and I was supposed to bring chips and dip to a party that night. We were there near Fresh Market so I said that I would make an exception. I ran in and grabbed FM corn chips and some unremembered dip. On arriving home, I quickly poured the chips into a basket. An odd aroma came from the chips....they smelled of old motor oil and paint remover. I sent an email to their corporate offices in New York. This type of thing is either expected or planned. I received an answer in which they said that they strive to make the customer happy and the local manager would be calling me. I never received a call from the local manager so I must conclude that they are not interested in my business. I have posted this on Talk of the Villages twice to no response. The parking lot is always full but my car will not ever be there. I am sure this happens a lot but it's not going to happen to me at Fresh Market again!
Old 07-22-2019, 06:06 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
According to the OP, the difference is thickness.

So size does matter I guess.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Am I the only one who wants to respond to this, but does not want to be suspended???

You made my night.
Well, you aren't now...
Old 07-22-2019, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I shop at Fresh Market frequently and have never been overcharged. I always get good items and I like the store. I wish they carried more prime meat. Very good buys on wine.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I shop at Fresh Market frequently and have never been overcharged. I always get good items and I like the store...
Second that. Love their seafood salad.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:

You made my night.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:41 AM
Veteran member

I don't shop Fresh Market for the majority of my meats, produce, etc., but you will find me there each week (except when it is lasagna--mine is better) purchasing their "Little Big Meal." Love them all---20.00 for a complete meal---everything from tacos to kabobs. I feel it is really a good deal and it is one night of the week that I don't have to figure out "what's for dinner."
Old 07-22-2019, 12:25 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusX1 View Post
OP is correct. I have seen FM porterhouses and I laugh and just don’t buy them. We buy filet mignon mostly. They do have a good deal when you can buy a whole prime tenderloin and have them cut and wrap it. Depending on the size you get around 9, 10 ounce cuts and some excellent stir fry meat. The prime filets cut from the whole tenderloin average about $6 each plus you get two chateaubriands’ center cuts.
I had them cut a tenderloin for me once. Never again. The filets were all different sizes and they shorted me at least one. Based on the weight of the tenderloin and the weight I had when I got home, I was about 12 oz. short. When they have the $13.99 and the $9.99 sale it's a good buy, but bring it home and butcher it yourself. Very easy to do and I know I get the entire amount of the tenderloin.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Second that. Love their seafood salad.
Is it real seafood, or that imitation crab?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:47 PM

The price will give you the answer.

Usually, it's pollock and fake and they call it "K"rab.
That doesn't mean it doesn't taste good, however.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Is it real seafood, or that imitation crab?
Not sure. My guess is imitation crab. But I don’t care...it’s soooo good.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Not sure. My guess is imitation crab. But I don’t care...it’s soooo good.
Thanks, I may try it. But, it's funny. When I eat imitation crab, the first few bites taste good, and then it starts to taste like imitation crab.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:11 PM

What does imitation crab taste like?
Closed Thread

Tags
t-bone, filet, porterhouse, steak, short

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.