Fridge/Freezer recommendation needed

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2018, 03:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Fridge/Freezer recommendation needed

Good people,

Mrs Fox wants a new fridge/freezer (I say there's life in the old one yet, but what do I know?) yet we've read a lot of stories on TOTV about new ones going wrong very quickly, from door handles falling off to the compressor failing.

Do you have a model that you can recommend? We just want something basic, not double doors with extra drawer and fourteen ice-makers. Limited by space to a regular-size model.

Thank you
Old 02-09-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Good people,

Mrs Fox wants a new fridge/freezer (I say there's life in the old one yet, but what do I know?) yet we've read a lot of stories on TOTV about new ones going wrong very quickly, from door handles falling off to the compressor failing.

Do you have a model that you can recommend? We just want something basic, not double doors with extra drawer and fourteen ice-makers. Limited by space to a regular-size model.

Thank you

Don't go Sub-Zero - overpriced and unreliable
Old 02-09-2018, 07:48 PM
Sage

And don’t go Samsung.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-09-2018, 07:58 PM
Platinum member

I wanted a French door refrigerator and spent hours (actually days) researching. I almost didn't buy a new refrig. because so many had negative reviews, particularly with ice makers that are located in the refrigerator rather than the freezer as in side by sides. Samsung seemed to have the most repair problems. I bought an LG from Home Depot in October and so far I really like it.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
And don’t go Samsung.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
We agree!! And the repair people will agree also. Our Samsung refrigerator was repaired in July. Same part broke again in November. Samsung does not guarantee after market parts. We decided to get a new refrigerator, not a Samsung or LG. We asked the repairman (Samsung approved repair company) for his opinion. He said Whirlpool, Maytag or GE. Said they all have problems but those companies stand behind their product.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Thank you for your warnings and recommendations
Old 02-10-2018, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Good people,

Thank you
We had to have a new Fridge last fall. After much toing and froing we went to Lowes, purchased a very normal middle of the road GE, fridge on the top and had the ice maker taken out of the freezer portion. Nothing fancy, no ice maker or water in the door, no bells and whistles, nothing ................ I now have a good basic GE, much bigger than the original one in the house, taking the ice maker out of the freezer gives us a much bigger freezer. All is good and we think, for us, this was a good decision. I buy a bag of ice for when needed.

My daughter-in-laws think we are very primitive!!!

I should tell you that in my real life I was a researcher so there is nothing that comes or goes on in this house that does not get turned inside out before we make a decision.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-10-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
...taking the ice maker out of the freezer gives us a much bigger freezer.
We did that, too - the water line was dripping and we don't use that much ice anyway. Amazing how much more food we could fit in.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I wanted a French door refrigerator and spent hours (actually days) researching. I almost didn't buy a new refrig. because so many had negative reviews, particularly with ice makers that are located in the refrigerator rather than the freezer as in side by sides. Samsung seemed to have the most repair problems. I bought an LG from Home Depot in October and so far I really like it.
We also bought an LG refrigerator in October, but from Best Buy. Our CYV only allowed 34" wide at most and just under 69" high, so we went with the LG LDCS24223S in stainless. It was $1099, but since we bought 4 new appliances we got it for $999. It's very nice.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-19-2018, 11:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We researched various makes and models on-line and decided on a Whirlpool from Home Depot. Pricing at Lowes and Best Buy was within a dollar, but Home Depot had cheaper removal of the old fridge.

It was delivered three days, right at the start of the advised time slot, but arrived in a dilapidated, unmarked van clearly operated by contractors rather than Home Depot itself.

The two workers rehung the doors to the other side, as requested, took out the old fridge and installed the new one.

An inspection showed no damage, so we signed the documents and they went on their way.

Two days later the freezer door had descended on to the fridge door and the door handles are now rubbing, making it seem as if the fridge door is not properly closed. A close inspection showed one of the bolts to be somewhat less than tightened!

I called Home Depot and they will send someone to fix it on Thursday. Time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge handles.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	74085   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge screws.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	74086  
Old 02-19-2018, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for your warnings and recommendations
I can't recommend a brand, A. Fox, because they all seem to have problems.

However, if I were limited to a "standard size," I would buy one with the freezer on the bottom. Our son has one of these, and we really like it. The fridge part gets used much more than the freezer part, and there is less bending over.

We personally have had all the different configurations. The only one we didn't like was our side-by-side because you couldn't even fit a pizza box in the freezer part due to its being so narrow. And because of the fridge part also being narrow, items got pushed to the back. We were constantly taking things out in order to get to things in the back.

Tags
model, fridge/freezer, recommend, space, failing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.