Frozen Food Reviews

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2020, 09:19 AM
theruizs

We like the California Kitchen Margarita Pizza. We also get Smart Ones frozen entrees, the angel hair pasta and Santa Fe rice & beans are both pretty good. The rice & beans I like to eat with Tostitos Scoops. Fill a scoop up with a spoonful and it’s like a mini crunchy taco. PF Changes Jasmine rice is pretty good too, as are their frozen egg rolls. We don’t eat as much frozen food as it might sound though, those are just the ones we have tried that are good now and then. My wife is a carnivore and I’m a vegetarian so we pretty much cook/prepare our own meals separately, but we do share the pizza
Old 05-11-2020, 09:21 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Before this Coronavirus thing, I almost never bought frozen food. But, lately I have tried some frozen dishes, but most of them are not worth buying.

Marie Callender chicken pot pie is mostly crust with very little in the middle (600 calories and 960 mg of sodium!).

Greenwise burritos consist of a tortillo wrap with almost nothing inside.

Red's burrito was about the same as Greenwise.

Lean Cuisine chicken burrito with rice was horrible.

Lean Cuizine mac and cheese was not bad.

California Pizza Kitchen thin pizza is pretty good, but not great.

I make a good chili and a good bean soup, and freeze it. It tastes great when I thaw it and eat it. Why can't large food companies duplicate homemade food and leave out the sodium? Any suggestions on frozen foods to buy?
Bertolli frozen meals are pretty good; haven’t checked sodium content. It is what it is. Chicken Florentine, Chicken Marsala. (delicious, but scarce), shrimp Scampi to die for. Italian Sausage with Spicy Tomato Sauce only disappointment- teeny little bit of sauce; called them and they are sending replacement coupon.

Last edited by BeauJangles; 05-11-2020 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Wanted to add something.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:06 AM

Just tried frozen Indian food bought at Publix - Deep brand Chicken Curry (spicy) and Deep brand Chicken Tikka. Both came with a flavored Basmati rice. Both were delicious and less than $5 each. Highly recommend if you want quick Indian food and don’t want to drive to Ocala for takeout.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:26 AM

And if you think Fresh Market frozen organic veggies are worth the price, check the label of origin - product of China!
Old 05-11-2020, 10:44 AM
Default purchase location for chicken piccata with penne

[QUOTE=queasy27;1762633]I like Michael Angelo's chicken piccata with penne.

Wife would like to know where you purchased this.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:57 AM
Default If you like Italian try Michael Angelos it’s in a green box and I have enjoyed many o

If you like Italian try Michael Angelos in green box. I’ve enjoyed many of their meal and they are good in my opinion. Bake them in the oven though not microwave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Before this Coronavirus thing, I almost never bought frozen food. But, lately I have tried some frozen dishes, but most of them are not worth buying.

Marie Callender chicken pot pie is mostly crust with very little in the middle (600 calories and 960 mg of sodium!).

Greenwise burritos consist of a tortillo wrap with almost nothing inside.

Red's burrito was about the same as Greenwise.

Lean Cuisine chicken burrito with rice was horrible.

Lean Cuizine mac and cheese was not bad.

California Pizza Kitchen thin pizza is pretty good, but not great.

I make a good chili and a good bean soup, and freeze it. It tastes great when I thaw it and eat it. Why can't large food companies duplicate homemade food and leave out the sodium? Any suggestions on frozen foods to buy?
Old 05-11-2020, 12:36 PM
Default Frozen Food

Stouffer's frozen family size meat lasagna
Old 05-11-2020, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
We like the California Kitchen Margarita Pizza. We also get Smart Ones frozen entrees, the angel hair pasta and Santa Fe rice & beans are both pretty good. The rice & beans I like to eat with Tostitos Scoops. Fill a scoop up with a spoonful and it’s like a mini crunchy taco. PF Changes Jasmine rice is pretty good too, as are their frozen egg rolls. We don’t eat as much frozen food as it might sound though, those are just the ones we have tried that are good now and then. My wife is a carnivore and I’m a vegetarian so we pretty much cook/prepare our own meals separately, but we do share the pizza
Just a clarification because it's a HUGE pet peeve:

Your wife is not a carnivore. Unless of course you married someone who is something other than a human being. Humans are not carnivores. Even humans who enjoy meat. They are omnivores.

Vegetarian is a dietary choice. Carnivore is a biological default. Humans are omnivores. Giraffes are herbivores. Cats are obligate carnivores. Dogs are omnivores. Only humans CHOOSE diets that go against their biology. All other animals eat however they are biologically designed to eat.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:42 PM

Home made is always better
Old 05-11-2020, 03:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Wife would like to know where you purchased this.
It's carried at Walmart, Publix, and Sam's Club, that I know of. There's a version with penne and one without. Both have nice artichoke hearts.

I also like Seapak coconut shrimp and their scampi. (But then, scampi is only a two-step process using frozen shrimp and a pack of seasoning.)
Old 05-11-2020, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

TJ's frozen cooked shrimp taste better than any we've ever had, but second best is Publix. I make a quick seafood sauce with Heinz no-sugar- added ketchup and prepared horseradish. Quick lunch, sometimes dinner.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:18 PM

Thanks
Old 05-11-2020, 04:37 PM
Platinum member

I have made chicken pot pies a couple of times.
I use the Pillsbury pie shells, cooked chicken cubed,
Peas and carrots and cubed and cooked potatoes.
Take a can of cream of chicken soup plus a little milk.

May be the English/Irish in me but I have to put
potatoes in mine.
Easy to make and delicious.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:03 PM

All those suggestions sounds so yummy.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

TJs frozen food is all I would buy, honey shrimp is really good, cauliflower crust, any of their Asian food
Closed Thread

Tags
frozen, food, good, greenwise, burrito

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.