The Future of Florida

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2023, 10:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srswans View Post
I’ve only been here two years but don’t I don’t see these problems. Sure, inflation is high at the moment and but that’s all cyclical.

Stop doom scrolling and get out and enjoy life. I do.
Those are REAL problems.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmanng View Post
Dont bother to come to ARizona! We are over crowded things have changed alot here since 95 crazy drivers Californians moving here very high home prices that are out of reach along with the rents NO WATER we are in a shortage and have been asked to reduce use we are now a BLUE state ugh home ins got raised........Yes its a bit cheaper than Florida but Arizona is out growing it self with not much to do but stay indoors from April or May till October........BTW not many are that friendly here either.........I bought in florida. I cant downsize here at all......let alone have 3,000 clubs
I noticed lots of UNFRIENDLY people when I lived in Az. 10 years ago.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
Her point/concern is well taken. Florida has changed quite a bit in 40 years. It's population has more than doubled, which causes the problems that the original post brings to light!
True about population. Difficult to pin down the optimum population for EITHER the US or Florida. Would need a sophisticated computer program to determine at what population you would have the maximum Quality of Life ?
......Very few people are willing to think in those terms. Is a bigger world a better world to live in and does MORE population jack up the GNP or SNP so people think that it makes for a better economy. But, better for who, what slice of the population ??????

Last edited by jimjamuser; 01-19-2023 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I am just asking a civil question. If there are so many good law enforcement officers in the Village bubble, why did we just a few days ago have threads about a bad intersection and speeding and hazardous driving. maybe the bubble of old people is just EASIER to Police due to LESS serious, violent crimes. Thank you!
Maybe because the "good law enforcement officers living in the Village bubble ARE RETIRED? And they no longer have any power to enforce the laws?

I fail to see the "logic" in your conclusion... You're welcome!

-Tom Petty
Old 01-19-2023, 08:01 PM
Default Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxdog View Post
I’m sorry, but I’m retired (26 1/2 years in the USAF), haven’t missed any meals got a great wife, cute dog means to defend my wife and dog, why should I worry about all this stuff? Can’t do much if anything about it, most of the people that can are corrupt only care about how to stay in power. So be nice to one another and be happy!
I think I need to get a dog.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:01 PM
Sage

The future of Florida is NOT so bright that the state "has to wear shades". The summers are going to be PREDICTED to be record HOT for the next 30 years. Which means very hot Gulf water and the Atlantic current. Which means large, killer hurricanes like IAN recently. If there is a worldwide recession in 2023, that would mean that tourism will be down. That means less sales tax revenue, which means less state funds to build more needed lanes on the now overcrowded highways. It means lower teacher raises and fewer new schools built and less money for older school repairs. Florida school children will be shortchanged and will drop in National Test results.
......LARGE DIGITAL technical companies and employers will NOT want to locate in Florida because they will NOT be able to get enough sharp high school graduates to train in their demanding industries. Florida college graduates will head NORTH for better-paying positions in more innovative companies.
......More and more Florida will be a place for retired seniors that can afford 2 homes and be snowbirds. Because Florida summers will be awfully HOT and DANGEROUS with respect to Hurricanes.
.......Also a recession in 2024 could cause homelessness, poverty, and crime to increase.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:05 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

We should all remember that when you choose to live somewhere, that you made that decision at a moment of time. You did not buy or move into a stationary time machine. Life goes on and if you don't like the current time in that decision, you are free to find a new moment in time and location.

Found a good book (fiction - A Land Remembered by Patrick Smith) that attempts to define moments of time in Florida from about 1860 onto the early 1900s. Talk about Change!

You have decisions that you can make. You can live with your choice and moment of time as it evolves, move to a new moment of time. or even move back in time. Try McCanopy.

Be happy or make a change to be happy.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I'd agree with your list and add worsening weather/storms. But not in TV, please?!.....
The media claims worsening weather/climate -- but the data shows otherwise. Our climate is actually getting better, thanks to global warming and more CO2. Find out more at the Villages Weather Club ... The Villages Weather Club
Old 01-24-2023, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,662 Times in 1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
Excellent that you stepped up and gave a definition of woke. Can you tackle "What is a woman"? That seems to be difficult for some to define today as well.
"(She) can bring home the bacon,
fry it up in a pan.
And never ever let you forget you're a man!
'Cause (she's) a WOMAN.
W-0-M-A-N
I say it again....
Old 01-24-2023, 01:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,177 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Do you have tomorrow's topic picked out yet?
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 01-24-2023, 01:33 PM

Except California doesn’t have book bans or bans on learning certain American History. Oh and if you disagree, you’ll get fired or hv your special self governance threatened. Who cares, we’ll be dead by then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinva View Post
FL is the new CA.
Old 01-24-2023, 03:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,662 Times in 1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounding View Post
The media claims worsening weather/climate -- but the data shows otherwise. Our climate is actually getting better, thanks to global warming and more CO2. Find out more at the Villages Weather Club ... The Villages Weather Club
Yeah. Those Chicken Littles have been out there squalling their warnings about the sky being about ready to fall since Katrina. I remember it well. The doom-and-gloomers were foreseeing an avalanche of FORCE TWENTY HURRICANES for GAWDsakes and we were all GONNA DIEEEEEEE or at least get very, very wet. Didn't happen, of course. In fact, Katrina ushered in an extended period extending well over a decade plus some years, where hurricanes making landfall in Florida were notorious by their rarity.

The doom-and-gloomers will always be there. For me, I choose not to live in fear.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoWhiskers View Post
I for one am concerned about the attitude of those who say "who cares about what happens in the future, we will all be dead anyway." Selfish to the core. Woke-dumb is a threat to the nation and FL. T V is turning into nothing more than an opportunity to be landlords. I get your concerns.
What's wrong with the attitude of "who cares about the future we'll all be dead anyway". ? I see just as much concern over those who think they can change things for future generations. Please feel free to devote as much time and energy as you'd like in changing things for the future. I'd rather spend my retirement playing pickleball and doing line dancing in the squares.
Closed Thread

Tags
state, water, future, florida, golfcarts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.