FYI: Other options for food delivery

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2020, 09:23 AM
Veteran member
Default FYI: Other options for food delivery

A couple of people have mentioned being homebound and perhaps a bit concerned about our local grocery delivery services currently being overwhelmed.

Other options are:

Schwans delivers frozen foods, including fruits and vegetables.

Meal kit services such as Blue Apron, Silver Cuisine (designed for seniors) and Home Chef.

Door Dash and Grub Hub deliver from local restaurants.

None of them are inexpensive, mind you!

Last edited by queasy27; 03-28-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:07 PM
Veteran member

I just saw that Sam's Club is offering curbside pickup for seniors:

"Starting this Thursday, March 26, Sam’s Club locations nationwide will offer early shopping hours every Tuesday and Thursday from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. for seniors and those with disabilities or compromised immune systems. This includes our pharmacy and optical centers and will last until further notice. We’re also introducing a new concierge service. During special shopping hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m., these members can shop Sam’s Club without ever leaving their car. From a designated parking location, members in need can place their order from their car, and a Sam’s Club associate will grab the items on the list."
Old 03-30-2020, 08:32 AM
Gold member

we shopped Publix via Instacart yesterday, at our door within 2 hours.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 03-30-2020, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
we shopped Publix via Instacart yesterday, at our door within 2 hours.
The first time I ordered from Instacart, they contacted me about my order asking for permission to substitute items.

The last time I shopped at Instacart (over a week ago), despite the fact that I noted No Substitutions Please in the special instructions box, the shopper substituted six items I can't use, without asking me. I sent two emails to customer service (there is no phone number to call listed on their web site). I have received no response.

Substituting chicken wings for boneless, skinless chicken breasts? Lamb necks for lamb chops? Full fat turkey sausage for Jennie-O 97% lean turkey sausage? Come ON! These items are currently in the freezer awaiting a response from Instacart. I guess my husband will be clogging his arteries, or we will be "eating" the cost and throwing them out.

I am now afraid to order from them.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

We had a very good First use experience with instacart/Publix. Constant communication with our shopper as he asked questions and delivered within two hours.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
The first time I ordered from Instacart, they contacted me about my order asking for permission to substitute items.

The last time I shopped at Instacart (over a week ago), despite the fact that I noted No Substitutions Please in the special instructions box, the shopper substituted six items I can't use, without asking me. I sent two emails to customer service (there is no phone number to call listed on their web site). I have received no response.

Substituting chicken wings for boneless, skinless chicken breasts? Lamb necks for lamb chops? Full fat turkey sausage for Jennie-O 97% lean turkey sausage? Come ON! These items are currently in the freezer awaiting a response from Instacart. I guess my husband will be clogging his arteries, or we will be "eating" the cost and throwing them out.

I am now afraid to order from them.
If the payment for the service was via Credit Card then there is your answer. If that doesn't work then let me know and I'll call Vito & Rocco. They always get results except the they were trying to collect on a Lobster bet for a Pal of ours and so far after 4 plus years, No Dice!
Old 03-30-2020, 09:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill32 View Post
We had a very good First use experience with instacart/Publix. Constant communication with our shopper as he asked questions and delivered within two hours.
That was my experience the first time around. I am hopeful it will be like that again. I am discouraged, however, not to have heard anything back from them about the messed-up order from last time. It could be they had to hire more people and my shopper was inexperienced or forgot the procedure to contact the customer about substitutions. Or she didn't read the notation.

The fact that she noted on my account page that "Chicken wings were all they had" did not help.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
If the payment for the service was via Credit Card then there is your answer. If that doesn't work then let me know and I'll call Vito & Rocco. They always get results except the they were trying to collect on a Lobster bet for a Pal of ours and so far after 4 plus years, No Dice!
Vito & Rocco ... that got my attention.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Can you have them go after Lufthansa for me too, Nucky?!
Old 03-30-2020, 03:14 PM

Walmart on line, drive up and they stick it in your car. Works great except everyone has picked up on it. Hard to get a pickup time now. I've been using it for over a year. Easy-peasy.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:26 PM
Veteran member

Same good experience here, in Duval! Two hours...
Old 03-30-2020, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
That's because I know Vito and Rocco's boss
Old 03-30-2020, 03:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Can you have them go after Lufthansa for me too, Nucky?!
For you I'll try but they normally don't squeeze any company with that many Vowels in the name! I think it's a professional courtesy!
Old 03-30-2020, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
That's because I know Vito and Rocco's boss
These are the two guy's from Staten Island. You know over there near the place! I know that you know where I'm talkin about and so does that Poster who told us all to stay the whatchmacallit home.

Yo, Yous know Sal directly?

I may have a little somethin 4 them when this passes! Just Kidding, maybe! I know you know what I mean?
Old 03-30-2020, 11:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Substituting chicken wings for boneless, skinless chicken breasts? Lamb necks for lamb chops? Full fat turkey sausage for Jennie-O 97% lean turkey sausage? Come ON!
The funniest for me was ordering vegan burgers and getting a "substitute" of ground beef.

So much depends on the common sense of the person doing the picking.
Closed Thread

Tags
options, delivery, local, home, seniors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.