Gaming Tournament.

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2018, 03:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Gaming Tournament.

Most of us have read about the mass shooting in Jacksonville this afternoon at a gaming tournament with four dead and eleven injured.

What exactly is a gaming tournament?? It has been said that the shooter was angry he lost. Are there cash prizes? Who sponsors it? How many participants are commonly at a gaming tournament?
Old 08-26-2018, 03:13 PM

It depends. This was a mall tournament where they were playing Madden football. It would be unlikely there were prizes. However, there are professional gamers who have massive Tournaments here and abroad, particularly all over Asia. My brother is a cop at Barclay's Center in Brooklyn and they had a gaming league there a few weeks ago with coaches and jerseys and thousands of fans paying to watch. In that case they were playing a first person shooter game. Set in sort of a fantasy apocalyptic world.

But obviously this person didn't all of a sudden snap after a normal life or whatever....it was a deranged person who probably planned it. I mean becoming Rambo after you lose a video game football match is not a normal reaction.

This gaming stuff is so popular. At the risk of sounding old and crabby we would never had been in doors on a day like this......never.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
...This gaming stuff is so popular. At the risk of sounding old and crabby we would never had been in doors on a day like this......never.
If only I could get back all the hours I spent as a youth playing, Monopoly, Risk, Chutes and Ladders, Candyland, Bobble, cards, ... (How could I forget Chess & Clue.)

"Things haven't changed much, they are just different." - SFSKOL

Last edited by SFSkol; 08-26-2018 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added Clue & Chess
Old 08-26-2018, 03:31 PM

It's interesting, the most popular game in the world is called Fortnite. And you have millions of kids and loser adults playing at any time of day or night. The console is connected to the internet,or you can play on PC. So not only are you playing with your friends, but other people from all over the planet. And yes, you can talk trash, and yes there is bullying and the females are sexually harassed. There is a metoo movement within gaming.

So parents of young kids really need to pay attention.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
If only I could get back all the hours I spent as a youth playing, Monopoly, Risk, Chutes and Ladders, Candyland, Bobble, cards, ...

There ya go!

Video gaming is ubiquitous. There are gaming competitions all the time, and most do have rewards of varying degrees. There are many professional gamers, who make a living at it and do nothing else.

Gaming can be done responsibly. I do it. Yes, I’m a bit of a geek. Or it can be overdone, like anything else.

Of course none of this explains a lunatic doing something outrageous. Sympathy to the victims and their families.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
...And you have millions of kids and loser adults playing at any time of day or night...
Wow. So all adults who might play an occasional video game are losers.

I’m really at a loss to express how biased and totally oblivious to the realities of our current world this comment is.

SFSkol’s post is right on.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

I’m really at a loss to express how biased and totally oblivious to the realities of our current world this comment is.

SFSkol’s post is right on.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:18 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Some of those adult “losers” make more in a year than the average person makes in a lifetime. Long live the Geeks!

And other than absolute horror and true sympathy, I can no longer find words for these shootings.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-26-2018, 05:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

I’m really at a loss to express how biased and totally oblivious to the realities of our current world this comment is...
Agreed

"Some sheep never look up." - SFSKOL
Old 08-26-2018, 06:35 PM
Veteran member
Default Games Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
If only I could get back all the hours I spent as a youth playing, Monopoly, Risk, Chutes and Ladders, Candyland, Bobble, cards, ... (How could I forget Chess & Clue.)

Hi, if you want to have some fun online, lots of seniors in the VILLAGES HAVE GRANDCHILDREN etc. You can log in and play Chess. There are various sites to learn Chess and Children do catch on very fast. It is easy, you go on line to a Chess Website, then your Grandchild or other person logs in to the same site, you request a challenge game with that second person and the chess game is on. You can learn or refresh your chess at numerous recreation sites in the Villages. It is stimulating and fun and encourages critical thinking and strategy.
A great learning tool
Old 08-27-2018, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Jacksonville shooting suspect: A serious player in the high-pressure, big-money world of competitive gaming - The Washington Post

Quote:
The potential financial upshot for esport competitors rivals some traditional athletics. The five-person team that won The International 2018, a “Dota 2” online battle competition that concluded over the weekend, walked away with more than $11 million in prize money. Additional prizes for runners-up put the total prize pool at more than $25 million.

But esports also present their own unique form of overwhelming pressure.

“There is no other sport in the world in which one day you can be a teenager playing a game by yourself, and the next day, because someone scouted you from your online account, you’re thrown onto a stage for millions to criticize,” ESPN esports reporter Tyler Erzberger wrote in an article on the pervasiveness of mental health issues in the esports community published Friday, before the shooting.

“There’s little to no assimilation period. There’s no road map for how to deal with the criticism. There’s just you, on the stage with four teammates, facing down the biggest moment of your life with no lifeline.”
Old 08-27-2018, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbb View Post
Hi, if you want to have some fun online, lots of seniors in the VILLAGES HAVE GRANDCHILDREN etc. You can log in and play Chess. There are various sites to learn Chess and Children do catch on very fast. It is easy, you go on line to a Chess Website, then your Grandchild or other person logs in to the same site, you request a challenge game with that second person and the chess game is on. You can learn or refresh your chess at numerous recreation sites in the Villages. It is stimulating and fun and encourages critical thinking and strategy.
A great learning tool
I remember that in second grade, our little granddaughter wrote in her blog at school on Monday in answer to what did you do this weekend?; My granny and pop taught me to play poker.

Tags
tournament, gaming, shooter, angry, commonly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.