Garage AC Options

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Veteran member
Default Garage AC Options

There are numerous ways to air condition the garage. In my case, I also want to keep the humidity low in the garage, so just ventilating it well with fans and screen doors is not enough.

Soooo, here are the options I'm aware of, some of which do not comply with deed restrictions...

* Window unit - does not comply
* Through the wall unit - does not comply
* Through the wall unit maintained flush with the exterior of the building (not protruding outside), the grillwork painted the same color as the siding, and hidden by bushes - does not comply

The following will comply, but have varying issues associated with them

* Circulating the house AC air into the garage - not too effective; capacity issue
* "Mini-split" system - pricey $2,000 - $4,000 cool only
* Portable AC unit - pricey - more than window unit, but less than mini split; about $600 for 12,000 btu. Now here is the part that should allow this to be consistent with deed restrictions: Port the exhaust into the attic. Hot air rises, there are ridge vents, etc. Not as efficient as window units, probably because of relatively small exhaust, like a small exhaust pipe on a car restricting the exhaust air flow of an engine.
* Window AC unit - 12,000 btu $350, installed totally INSIDE the garage, near the ceiling, with ductwork directing the exhaust into the attic.

So, the question is, why wouldn't these last two options work? Does anyone see a downside?

As an aside, when the AC is not running, I will run a stand-alone dehumidifier. And I will insulate the ceiling and the garage doors.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 02-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Garage AC Options

Venting extra moisture into the attic from the AC may cause more expensive repair problems in a few years. Go with the mini split even though it is more costly up front but probably prove less troublesome over a period of time.
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Old 02-08-2008, 06:42 PM

treat the garage as another room. Check to see the tonnage cap of the unit you have, most of the units would handle the garage. It would be best to have someone that does not have any interest in doing the work as they tend to sell a lot extra unit than you neet

drd
Old 02-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC24
Venting extra moisture into the attic from the AC may cause more expensive repair problems in a few years.* Go with the mini split even though it is more costly up front but probably prove less troublesome over a period of time.
Good point...I didn't think about the moisture in the attic.* Thanks :bow: :bow:

And...I just received my deed restrictions in the mail today.* They explicitly require an AC to be "central" AC.* And the only non-central unit they interpret as "central" is the "mini-split."* I read up on these systems on http://www.minisplitsystems.com/cgi/...tem_num=18KS72 17,000 BTUs would probably be an optimum size to cool a "2-car plus golf cart" garage.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 02-09-2008, 12:22 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Pete

too much mold problems venting into the attic.

there is another option, but I need to do a little research.

I will post again later, I'm having a senior moment right now.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.