Garbage disposal

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
The person who lives with me sometimes refers to me as being "nasty neat" and I do have a fetish about the disposal. I have found several long thin brushes which do a good job of cleaning inside the unit and I also get my hand inside and scrub up under the rubber thingee. I do, once in a while, get the heebie jeebies that the thing will start grinding while I have my hand in there, but so far so good!
The heebie jeebies. Me too. Now I'm jonesing for a disposal with a removable rubber flap.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:58 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

I typically tell my clients to buy a toilet brush, and of course ONLY use it for the disposal flap. If you start smelling a yucky smell from the sink area it is typically the gunk under the flap.

The removable flap does stop the "Heebie Jeebies" and of course for liability reasons I tell folks never to do that, but if it is not on...there are other ways to clean this area, many on the internet. Running it for 30 seconds longer than you think will also help.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
I typically tell my clients to buy a toilet brush, and of course ONLY use it for the disposal flap. If you start smelling a yucky smell from the sink area it is typically the gunk under the flap.

The removable flap does stop the "Heebie Jeebies" and of course for liability reasons I tell folks never to do that, but if it is not on...there are other ways to clean this area, many on the internet. Running it for 30 seconds longer than you think will also help.
Thanks for the good advice, I will do a search.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-03-2018, 04:15 PM

Have a friend in New Jersey who is a very successful and knowledgeable plumbing equipment distributor. When we needed a new disposer a few months ago, I asked him what to buy and he said to get a 1 HP Waste King. We did, and it is very powerful and quiet. I'd suggest anyone to consider that unit.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
I use mine for the same reason I have indoor plumbing,a frost free refrigerator , washer and dryer. If you have problems, you don’t know how to use it.
Indoor plumbing ! Are you in a new house?
Old 09-03-2018, 09:40 PM

I do my own cooking, so need a sink garbage disposable ...Throw in the garbage bin, stinks, and draws insects...
Old 09-04-2018, 08:02 AM
Veteran member
Default Disposer

[QUOTE=LuckySevens;1577545]1/2 horsepower garbage disposal just died.

HI, we used to remodel homes. OK, suggestion : Get the 3/4 HP model, the Home Depot Insinkerator is fine. For many homes, ours too, the little disposer that came with the unit is a piece of ??????????? ******

bbbbbb
Old 09-04-2018, 08:12 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

This may be a silly question,but are you sure its not just clogged ? A jammed disposal will just buzz and it appears gone .. Quick test .. Either attached to the disposal or on the bottom of the cabinet containing the disposal should be a metal long S shaped piece of metal .. It is actually a little tool that comes with every disposal. Either end of that will attach to a small indentation at the bottom of the disposal. All you do is turn that back and forth several times .. maybe 90 - 180 degrees (1/4 to half way around) .. then try your disposal again ..
There also may be a red button on the disposal that has popped .. similar to your GFI in the bathroom .. that can be rest by a quick push ..
If you havent tried either, five minutes could save you a few bucks !
Old 09-04-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
The person who lives with me sometimes refers to me as being "nasty neat" and I do have a fetish about the disposal. I have found several long thin brushes which do a good job of cleaning inside the unit and I also get my hand inside and scrub up under the rubber thingee. I do, once in a while, get the heebie jeebies that the thing will start grinding while I have my hand in there, but so far so good!
I never put my hand it a disposal without first unplugging it. Takes just a few seconds to open the cabinet door and reach in and unplug be completely safe.
Closed Thread

Tags
garbage, horsepower, disposal, advice, love

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.