Garmin NUVI GPS map update for 2008 includes more of The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Veteran member
Default Garmin NUVI GPS map update for 2008 includes more of The Villages

Just in case anyone out there has a Garmin NUVI GPS, the latest map update 2008 (released last week ) now includes address south of Rt 466. Previous version 8 didn't.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Default Re: Garmin NUVI GPS map update for 2008 includes more of The Villages

I just bought a house in the village of Duval. I have a garmin, do the new maps go out to Duval. I have been waiting to buy new maps until they included more TV Thanks
Old 08-06-2007, 08:12 AM

Just downloaded the update and they are still a couple of years behind the times. Didn't even have The Villages Hospital on the data base. Oh well :dontknow:
Old 08-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
just bought a house in the village of Duval. I have a garmin, do the new maps go out to Duval. I have been waiting to buy new maps until they included more TV Thanks
I bit difficult to check location on the NUVI unless you have a specific address so I checked some streets in that area with random address and of the 4 I checked (Backwate Way, Rosepale Way, Walterboro Ln and Suffield) They all seem to be included in the update so it looks like DUVAL is covered now. BTW I was told by Garmin Tech support (very good support) if you want to check if a street is covered go to MAPQUEST and check the address. MAPQUESTS uses the same maps as Garmin.

There as another post about downloading something and finding the maps yrs behind and not even finding the Villages Reginal Hospital. I checked my NUVI and the hospital is there along with the streets in Deval so it looks like the MAPS are very up to date in my NUVI. You might want to check which version of maps you actually have by going to

Settings > Map > Map Detail >
City Navigator North Armerica NT 2008 is the latest version.

Previous version was Version 8 and it had most of the villages north of 466 on it. I didn't check the hospital in that version but other items of interest were there I know. The Maps updates come by DVD that you get from Garmin. The Map update from DVD takes a couple of hours to install on the NUVI - its fairly large. The updates you download from their web site are corrections to the code within the NUVI that provide directions from the MAP information (they are free and small but they aren't map updates). Since I recently purchased my NUVI I was able to get a Map Update DVD from Garmin when I told them it was new and not yet registered and it didn't contain locations South of 466 in the Villages that I wanted. They were well aware of the lack of maps in this area and agreed to send me the update free (normal cost is $75 now). So if your NUVI is relatively new you might also be able to get a free update.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the info my home is on Day Lily Run. I did not know that Mapquest uses the same maps I will check. May be time to update my Garmin Thanks again :bigthumbsup:
Old 08-15-2007, 08:11 PM

Finally called Garmin today re the outdated maps on the Nuvi 350. If you purchased at Nuvi after May 1st they will send you the $75 update free of charge on a CD/DVD. Just call their 800 number and they will ask for the serial # and you have to email a copy of your invoice. I purchased mine on June 26th. Glad I read the post re updates.
Thanks...
Old 08-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Send a message via AIM to rballruss Send a message via Yahoo to rballruss

I am looking to purchase a Garmin NUVI GPS. Any suggestions on the model that I should get? Iknow that price determines features, but I do want bluetooth capability.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Don't Pay A Premium For The MSN Subscription...

...MSN has no coverage in TV. I think that eliminates the Nuvi 680 from consideration. That was one big feature difference from the 660. Hey! They just saved you $100!!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:35 PM

Thanks....gonna look that model up now.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:43 AM

Garmin just released a new model this month. It's the Nuvi 260 and might not be available in the stores just yet. It includes version 2008. Nice compact unit with the antenna built in (no-flip). Check out their web site. I'll need one for the ride down next year. Maybe they might have the wide version by then Nuvi 260W.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:09 AM

I think I am going to go with the NUVI 360. Anyone have that model?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

I have the NUVI 350 and love it. Size (3.5" screen) is great you can put it in your pocket when you leave the car (important I think) which would be harder with the larger models and the size doesn't get in the way of your view as much as the larger 4.3" models. The feature I really like is the text to voice feature that the 350/360/6xx models have. With text to voice the NUVI not only calls out the turn but also tells you what hwy or street it is and this to me is a great feature to have since at times you aren't sure if the right turn in 100 feet is on street x or the one right after that street y . The new 2xx models don't have Text to voice I don't think. The new Nuvi 350 or 360 should have the 2008 maps but as far as I know there is no way to tell from the box. If you want blue tooth you need the 360 model - the 350 doesn't have it.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Platinum member

I'm thinking of purchasing a Garmin NUVI 200W refurbished. Same warranty as new for $199. Anyone have any recommendations/opinions?
Old 02-12-2008, 05:58 PM

I got a new 200 at Amazon.com for $179.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have the Nuvi 200 and it works great, bought it at Best Buy on sale b4 xmas for $169.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.