Garrison Keillor says fired over alleged improper behavior

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2017, 08:18 PM
Platinum member

I expected more details on this to surface today. Since they haven’t, I strongly suspect a payoff. Keillor’s description of the event, assuming there was just one, was bizarre. MPR investigated took steps to minimize negative press and stifle the whole story. Just my opinion.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
To me the difference is whether these men used a position of power to intimidate and degrade another person. If what he claims that he simply put his hand on her bare back and then apologized is true then this to me would not qualify as predatory just poor judgement, but he has stated that is all he can "remember". No one has actually heard what he is being accused of.
I agree.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Would have to see more about this "story" before reaching any kind of conclusion. Minnesota Public Radio fires Garrison Keillor for alleged impropriety
Hope to see a lot more links from various sources so that we can see what really happened here.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:05 PM

It seems that the way this is going most, if not all "teenagers" and older will be held accountable for "groping" and "heavy petting" when they were dating. Of course it goes without saying that both sexes should be held accountable.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
It seems that the way this is going most, if not all "teenagers" and older will be held accountable for "groping" and "heavy petting" when they were dating. Of course it goes without saying that both sexes should be held accountable.
It should also go without saying...'consent' is the key.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:55 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
It should also go without saying...'consent' is the key.
Glad someone gets it.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:52 PM

I don't comment much on what I read but there's something I find kinda ironic. In a post titled 1950's values I seem to recall Redwitch referring to how poorly women were treated even after being sexually assaulted and the woman was always at fault. Redwitch sounded apaulled. Now a woman makes a claim against a radio personality she likes and it's a withhunt. I suppose it's her fault? It sounds a bit hypocritical and almost right out of the 1950's which you conveyed was so horrible. Rant over and out.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:47 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndchance View Post
I don't comment much on what I read but there's something I find kinda ironic. In a post titled 1950's values I seem to recall Redwitch referring to how poorly women were treated even after being sexually assaulted and the woman was always at fault. Redwitch sounded apaulled. Now a woman makes a claim against a radio personality she likes and it's a withhunt. I suppose it's her fault? It sounds a bit hypocritical and almost right out of the 1950's which you conveyed was so horrible. Rant over and out.
A lot occurred in the 50s and. 60s and even the 70s that was acceptable then, not now. Sexual harassment was common and boys will be boys was the attitude. Smoking while pregnant was the norm, too. Both are wrong but I’m not going to hang someone for either.

IF Keillor’s version is even remotely accurate, then it has become a witch hunt. If there is more to the story, then it should come out so we can see the legitimacy of the firing. If it was only one event, then it is still a witch hunt.

Sexual harassment needs to stop. It is not okay to touch another without consent, regardless of who either individual is. However, if it is a one-time incident; several incidents that occurred decades ago; did not involve a minor; did not go beyond touching, then it is a witch hunt. Bring it out in the open, let the harasser apologize and let it go. Rape, stalking, sex or even attempted sex with a minor, press criminal charges if possible, ostracize the harasser, no excuses no matter who it is.

I can be appalled by someone’s past behavior and still not want to see them lose their job and be publicly humiliated. I truly admire the work Al Franken did in office but he forcibly kissed more than one woman and at least one act was recent. He needed to resign. Garrison Keillor bores me to tears but no other reports of incidents have been forthcoming. His firing, from the facts we have, is ridiculous. Had Moore (whom I find despicable regardless) harassed women when he was 30 rather than girls, I would say let it go. He chose to chase teenagers. He does not deserve sympathy, let alone a chance of public office. Things need to be put in context. Right now, any accusation can destroy a man, whether a minor transgression or a criminal act. That’s a witch hunt in my book.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-11-2017, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
A lot occurred in the 50s and. 60s and even the 70s that was acceptable then, not now. Sexual harassment was common and boys will be boys was the attitude. Smoking while pregnant was the norm, too. Both are wrong but I’m not going to hang someone for either.

IF Keillor’s version is even remotely accurate, then it has become a witch hunt. If there is more to the story, then it should come out so we can see the legitimacy of the firing. If it was only one event, then it is still a witch hunt.

Sexual harassment needs to stop. It is not okay to touch another without consent, regardless of who either individual is. However, if it is a one-time incident; several incidents that occurred decades ago; did not involve a minor; did not go beyond touching, then it is a witch hunt. Bring it out in the open, let the harasser apologize and let it go. Rape, stalking, sex or even attempted sex with a minor, press criminal charges if possible, ostracize the harasser, no excuses no matter who it is.

I can be appalled by someone’s past behavior and still not want to see them lose their job and be publicly humiliated. I truly admire the work Al Franken did in office but he forcibly kissed more than one woman and at least one act was recent. He needed to resign. Garrison Keillor bores me to tears but no other reports of incidents have been forthcoming. His firing, from the facts we have, is ridiculous. Had Moore (whom I find despicable regardless) harassed women when he was 30 rather than girls, I would say let it go. He chose to chase teenagers. He does not deserve sympathy, let alone a chance of public office. Things need to be put in context. Right now, any accusation can destroy a man, whether a minor transgression or a criminal act. That’s a witch hunt in my book.
Red. I agree with you. Living in Minnesota though for 5.5 years I kind of learned how to appreciate Garrison Keillor. These things should be judged on verified accounts from all parties involved if at all possible. A legal process in other words and not gossip.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Platinum member

When no details are released, it usually indicates the accused admitted guilt, paid a cash settlement, and parties signed a confidentiality agreement. To label this a witch hunt is a leap.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post

Last week, an MPR spokeswoman said the company had received multiple allegations of "inappropriate behavior" against Keillor involving one person who worked with him during his time hosting "A Prairie Home Companion." Keillor retired as host of the show in 2016, but had continued to work for MPR on various projects.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3683203

MPR investigated this, hired an independent lawyer who looked into it, and reported to the board. He was their headliner/moneymaker. They did not fire him only for a "inadvertent" slip of his hand up someone's blouse.
Closed Thread

Tags
dropping, flies, behavior, improper, keillor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.