Gas vs. Electric Appliances

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2014, 05:43 PM
Default Gas vs. Electric Appliances

I have always had electric appliances before we moved to TV, and now the home we have recently bought has gas. Those of you who have had both gas and electric, which one do you prefer and why? I am thinking about replacing the gas appliances with electric.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:15 PM
Veteran member

I miss my gas stove so much! Nothing cooks the same way, IMHO. Keep in mind that I have all "energy efficient" appliances which, IMHO, still suck energy without giving good results. Had I had a choice of gas or electric stove, I would have taken the gas one in a heartbeat. It's much easier to regulate the heat, water doesn't take as long to boil, just to name a few things. I do, however, prefer the electric oven for baking as I think the results are more even. This is just my opinion. You may prefer electric simply because that's what you are used to.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:23 PM
Veteran member

We have electric in our "Summer home" up North.
We have gas in TV and love it.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:28 PM
Gold member

Gas stove here which is exactly what I prefer. Reason being, instant increase or decrease in temperature. No lingering heat when the burners are turned off.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:52 PM
Location: Rochester NY, Warren OH, Independence MO, Branson MO

When we moved to TV house had a gas stove, but bucket list finally prevailed. Prefer electric - 5 regular burners plus one warming burner; flat top is easier to keep clean; deep oven steam cleans in 20 minutes or you can have a full cleaning cycle of several hours. Gas does get hot quicker, but electric is a more even heat. Oven can also be used as convection or quick cook. And finally a gas stove will be dirtier above the stove, pulling dirt to cupboards, microwave above. Had both in my lifetime and still prefer electric!
Old 08-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Have always had gas till TV, and I really dislike these new electric stoves whose burners turn on and off. They don't maintain an even heat. I can't get used to them.

My favorite stove ever was a dual fuel. It had a five burner gas top and two electric self-cleaning ovens. One was drawer size, which preheated in about five minutes. We used that mostly and kept the bigger one for roasts and cakes. The burners were one that would simmer, one that was mega BTUs and would boil water in a nano second, another that was mega but smaller size, and a normal one. Boy do I miss that stove. It was a JennAire, but I think other brands make them too.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Due to the possibility of gas leaks we went electric. But I would use the gas for a year and then decide.
You might want to make sure your gas pipe is installed correctly if it goes into the attic. Do some searching here for problems.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:11 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

I have a house with electric appliances and a house with gas, even the clothes dryer. I highly prefer the gas. I can observe the flame and set it just where I want it; the flame starts heating the cooking vessel immediately; when I turn the gas off the flame/heat goes off. The electric is difficult to use, takes time to heat up for use and time to cool after use. It is a total pain and difficult to control. Plus, I can use the gas stove when the electric power goes off.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-31-2014, 11:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Over 70 years in homes with gas so I do not worry about leaks.
When we had our home built here I had both gas and electric connections put in the location of each appliance.
Chose gas for heating and hot water.....much more efficient....especially on those few days we have below freezing.

In the kitchen electric cook top....INDUCTION.....has as much variability in raising and lowering temps as gas and is instantaneous as well.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Sage

I have heard so many good things about the electric induction stoves. I might look into getting Mrs. Buggy a new stove on her birthday.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I have heard so many good things about the electric induction stoves. I might look into getting Mrs. Buggy a new stove on her birthday.
I once got a dishwasher as a Christmas present. I quickly re-eeducated. Mr. CFrance as to what is a present.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I once got a dishwasher as a Christmas present. I quickly re-eeducated. Mr. CFrance as to what is a present.
Oh, I can top that DH bought me a $80 frying pan. I was not impressed and never received anymore kitchen items as gifts.

We have electric in our villa and I hate. Can't seem to get the knack of adjusting the burners for heat control. I like instant temperature control gas provides.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Induction has been used for many years in Europe and only has been recently been given any acceptance in US. Instantaneous hot and instantaneous cooling of the top surface with micro control. One can boil water as fast as any gas stove or melt chocolate w/o scorching. However, one needs magnetic pot/pans. If I was remodeling, I would definitely look into these.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.