GEICO (Gov't Employees Insurance Co) - I never knew

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2015, 11:08 AM
Sage
Smile GEICO (Gov't Employees Insurance Co) - I never knew

I received my bill in the mail for the renewal of our auto insurance. Since we recently purchased a new car our Safeco insurance through AAA went up to $1250 a year for just one car. It had previously been $850. That's quite a jump since the old car was just 2 years old. I shopped around and found the best rate at GEICO. I was able to get the exact same insurance for $840 per year. I was able to do the entire transaction on line including the quote and signing the forms electronically. One thing I did learn was that they asked questions about my husband's Federal employment (he is retired). They asked his GS level which I thought strange. After the policy was issued I noticed at the top it said GEICO (Government employees Insurance Company). I never knew that. We would have went with them long ago had we known we would get a discount.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:30 AM

My late father was career/retired Navy and had GEICO car insurance long before the gecko and so did I when I was covered under his policy in the 70s.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:18 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

Back in the late '60's when I was in my twenties and living in Northern Virginia I bought a muscle car. My insurer, State Farm, wanted an exorbitant premium for such a vehicle due to my age. I was employed by the US Government and transferred my coverage to GEICO. Great insurance at great rates. After a few years GEICO went through a rough period and I went back to State Farm which had decent rates for me since by then I was older. Warren Buffett stepped in and bought into GEICO during that period.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.