gift for mom

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2020, 02:24 AM
Default gift for mom

Hi folks!
My mom turns 64 next month, and I want to gift something useful. Unfortunately, she has a lower-backache and wearing the belt made with a dog's fur doesn't help at all, as I see, that's why I think about something more effective. Fortunately, I have a nest egg, so I consider buying a massage chair. I've never had one, so it would be great if you had faced them and share your thoughts on this. Is there any benefit from a massage chair? Thanks
Old 02-07-2020, 06:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

You may want to buy her a massage pillow before investing in a chair. It is less expensive, portable, uses less space, and much easier to get rid of when you no longer want it. I have seen a lot of used massage chairs for sale.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You may want to buy her a massage pillow before investing in a chair. It is less expensive, portable, uses less space, and much easier to get rid of when you no longer want it. I have seen a lot of used massage chairs for sale.
I see your point, but she has already had one, but my mom doesn't like it. But I think she'll use a chair because she often seats on a sofa and watches TV. As for a pillow, you need to use it targeted, but on the chair, you need to seat, relax and turn it on. Correct me, please, if I'm mistaken. Choosing out of this list, thank you for helping me!
upd. I hope she'll use it because she has really bad problems with the spine

Last edited by GwenR; 02-09-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:23 AM
Sage
Smile Massage

First I would find out if she likes getting massages. Some people don't. In my case I would love to have a massage chair because I have other aches and pains as well as back issues. It's something you would need to ask her before you purchase it for sure. They take up quite a bit of space. Ideally if she had a spot in the house where you could buy a small one that she could use for a short time then have her normal chair in the TV room. They are not always comfortable to sit in other then when you are using them. Some of the furniture stores have them but they are nothing more than vibration chairs. Those wouldn't really be beneficial to me.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:37 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Perhaps you should be getting in touch with a chiropractor or physical therapist that specializes in lower back issues before you purchase anything to deal with her issues!

Old 02-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

As a minimum have her try one in a store.
Asking for individuals actual results is a very good idea and hopefully you will get some replies.
I had a chair that heated and massaged. I did not have any back problems. Did not use the features very much. The heating might be a good option. If she has problems standing you might consider a chair that also helps you stand.
Be sure before you get it that she figures out how it will fit in her room and what furniture she might need to get rid of.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:21 AM

Get off the chair, drop the pillow on the floor and get some exercise !!
Old 02-08-2020, 06:22 AM

Sounds like young mom needs a PMR doctor .. evaluate for physical therapy, aqua therapy etc... too much sitting around makes it a lot worse.. plus she could need better shoes, diet program.. there are a lot of areas needed to be evaluated..
Old 02-08-2020, 06:30 AM

Your mother is still young so I would just ask her what she needs or would like to have for her birthday.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:10 AM

Make a chiropractor apt for mom to find out what’s wrong first and have them correct it. Massage chairs are nice for muscle pain but if she has something else it may not help her
Old 02-08-2020, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

I think they are a bit of a gimmick, but they are definitely a pain PITB when turned on, and you are trying to drink a cup of tea!
Old 02-08-2020, 09:36 AM

I have one. I love it for back n neck and calves. But not comfortable to watch tv in or read. If there is room in a bedroom or office get one. If not get her some pedicures where they use massage chairs.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:25 PM

Agree with posters who advise against the purchase of the bulky, expensive chair. Maybe buy some massage gifts or, as others have said, a physical therapy or medical consultation, or a personal trainer consultation. With spine problems, it helps to have a strong set of core muscles.
Closed Thread

Tags
massage, chair, gift, mom, nest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.