Global Warming?

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Just yesterday, Pope Francis made this statement regarding global warming:

"I don't know if it (human activity) is the only cause, but mostly, in great part, it is man who has slapped nature in the face," he said. "We have in a sense taken over nature."

"I think we have exploited nature too much," Francis said, citing deforestation and monoculture. "Thanks be to God that today there are voices, so many people who are speaking out about it."
Yes and even on the front page of the Daily Sun in today's issue!
Old 01-17-2015, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Just yesterday, Pope Francis made this statement regarding global warming:

"I don't know if it (human activity) is the only cause, but mostly, in great part, it is man who has slapped nature in the face," he said. "We have in a sense taken over nature."

"I think we have exploited nature too much," Francis said, citing deforestation and monoculture. "Thanks be to God that today there are voices, so many people who are speaking out about it."
Sure like this Pope.

I did find this interesting article-- http://environmentalresearchweb.org/...cle/news/48293
Old 01-17-2015, 09:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I respect ALL religions.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I have a program named printscreen and it is free and comes from Gadwin. Whatever you see on your screen can be turned into a photo that is stored in a file. By default the files name is printscreen and stored in your documents folder or it might be you photo folder.
I have the same problem when it comes to research. If it's .edu,.gov,.org it moves up my list for credibility. The other day I read 97% of all scientists believe in global warning. I think that was quoted by Al Gore. He's a Harvard graduate and won the Nobel Peace Prize for his work in global warming. So I'm thinking if Gore said "97%" his research team must have verified it before he said it. But I kept getting information showing how that statistic is incorrect.
I'm fortunate that my oldest son has a PHD in mechanical engineering from Johns-Hopkins and his last 2 years were at Stanford. So I can just ask him to explain the science behind most things. Sometimes I even understand him [just kidding].
Tom, thanks for the Gadwin site. Even though I have downloaded 5.4 printscreen I still can't seem to get my graphs to this site. I'll keep at it.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:38 PM
Veteran member
Default World Population and Energy/Resource Consumption

There are other implications about energy with our growing world population.

Here are a couple of interesting documentary videos.

This World - Population Growth This one is educational!

Surviving Progress This is also available on Netflix! This one will make you think!!!
Old 01-18-2015, 09:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I have a program named printscreen and it is free and comes from Gadwin. Whatever you see on your screen can be turned into a photo that is stored in a file. By default the files name is printscreen and stored in your documents folder or it might be you photo folder.
I have the same problem when it comes to research. If it's .edu,.gov,.org it moves up my list for credibility. The other day I read 97% of all scientists believe in global warning. I think that was quoted by Al Gore. He's a Harvard graduate and won the Nobel Peace Prize for his work in global warming. So I'm thinking if Gore said "97%" his research team must have verified it before he said it. But I kept getting information showing how that statistic is incorrect.
I'm fortunate that my oldest son has a PHD in mechanical engineering from Johns-Hopkins and his last 2 years were at Stanford. So I can just ask him to explain the science behind most things. Sometimes I even understand him [just kidding].
I have NO idea if what I attempted to attach has actually attached, but here it is. This is actually my earlier post but with the 3 graphs that I couldn't get to attach. If this worked then I thank both tomwed and blueash. Blueash, the sources are shown at the very top of each graph.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf global warming TOTV post 1 14 15 b.pdf (233.1 KB, 70 views)
Old 01-19-2015, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
I have NO idea if what I attempted to attach has actually attached, but here it is. This is actually my earlier post but with the 3 graphs that I couldn't get to attach. If this worked then I thank both tomwed and blueash. Blueash, the sources are shown at the very top of each graph.
Well, nice try but still didn't work. But I see you have posted University of Alabama Huntsville satellite temperature data. Here is the full graph at the bottom of the post. Global Temperature Report :: UAHuntsville Note the trend lines. Almost all the years before the El Nino were below the 30 year average while almost all the year since are above. Additionally this is reflective satellite data, not surface temperatures and does not take at all into account any change in ocean temperatures. An important and overlooked point about temperature. The "so what it is only a degree or two" increase crowd compare that to how little a difference of a 50 degree day feels to how a 52 degree day feels. Not much different, just 4%. A far better model is your own body. When your temp goes from 99 to 103 it is an enormous disrupter of your homeostasis. Even a 2% change from 99 to 101 is maladaptive. The biological homeostasis of our environment is similarly sensitive.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	uah.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	47086  
Old 01-19-2015, 05:02 PM
Veteran member

Global warming is only a common ground with which to try and bring the world together as one. The earth is and has been tipping on its axis constantly and will continue to do so. Maybe we do contribute a little bit to the warming but not enough to get to excited about. It's going to happen no matter what we do.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Well, nice try but still didn't work. But I see you have posted University of Alabama Huntsville satellite temperature data. Here is the full graph at the bottom of the post. Global Temperature Report :: UAHuntsville Note the trend lines. Almost all the years before the El Nino were below the 30 year average while almost all the year since are above. Additionally this is reflective satellite data, not surface temperatures and does not take at all into account any change in ocean temperatures. An important and overlooked point about temperature. The "so what it is only a degree or two" increase crowd compare that to how little a difference of a 50 degree day feels to how a 52 degree day feels. Not much different, just 4%. A far better model is your own body. When your temp goes from 99 to 103 it is an enormous disrupter of your homeostasis. Even a 2% change from 99 to 101 is maladaptive. The biological homeostasis of our environment is similarly sensitive.
Not sure, blue what you mean by "it still didn't work". The link downloads a file which opens in another window when I click on it. I have to admit that I like the clarity and convenience of your graph better than my attachment.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
Global warming is only a common ground with which to try and bring the world together as one. The earth is and has been tipping on its axis constantly and will continue to do so. Maybe we do contribute a little bit to the warming but not enough to get to excited about. It's going to happen no matter what we do.
Thanks, now I feel so much better! Sorry kids.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Christian Science Monitor cartoon
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1421772357034.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	47095  
Old 01-20-2015, 02:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Yea, right. Whatever. It's -1 in KC right now, 39* below normal. I know it's not as cold as you folks in MN experience, but this is miserable. I keep telling myself "just a couple of more months here".
You just threw cold water on a hot topic.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.