Going and returning on route 301 out of florida

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2022, 06:07 AM

301 to A1A, 95N to 26W!! I did 75 one time for ****s and giggles end of story. Actually 68 miles shorter to Greeneville Tn. my way!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Old 08-04-2022, 06:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We take the western roundabout as well, opting to take 84 west to Scranton and then taking 81 to 77 to 26 and not getting on 95 until well into South Carolina. Agree it adds about 125 miles, but disagree it adds 2 plus hours to the trip. However, it can easily save you from sitting in 2 plus hours worth of traffic, some highly congested white knuckle driving, and eliminates several tolls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We have taken I 10 several times while head north to I 95 and have never had problems with traffic for the few miles we are on it.

Will agree taking I 95 thru Washington and up to Ct can be a nightmare not to mention a very expensive one considering the tolls.
Quote:
. Traveling with a dog complicates things (and good lodging options are limited)
You're right about white-knuckle driving and traffic. We take that same route. We don't miss the drive on i95 thru Ct. or paying the tolls. i-10 is not really bad but we got to prefer 228 (off 301 before Baldwin) thru the Normandy section of Jacksonville.

We travel with a dog too, used to do it with 2 dogs. We've tried LaQuinta, Candlewood and Country Inn and suites. With the new route we take it's a Hampton Inn and a Marriott Residence Inn. Yes, a little pricer than the previously mentioned hotels but worth it. If it weren't for the dog we could take one of the direct flights offered out of Tampa or Orlando.

As a side note I understand all Hampton Inns are now pet friendly.

Last edited by B-flat; 08-05-2022 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:21 AM
Default Atlanta

I leave TV at 4:30 AM Sunday morning drive through Atlanta at 9:30 AM. Usually light traffic and can maintain the posted speed limit all the way through.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,074 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldseries27 View Post
i love the blue ridge parkway and take a slow 2 day ride staying in various towns each time. Just curious as you are close have you and others done the same. Btw in series outlander saw how scottish migrated to all areas near the brp pre revolutionary war. Guess the mountains reminded them of home
The Blue Ridge is on our to do list, but so far every time we make the trip we have left it off the agenda. Traveling with a dog complicates things (and good lodging options are limited) and makes us want to get between our homes as quickly as possible. Plus, every extra day on the road is one less day we can spend in the Villages, so there is that consideration also.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:08 AM
Veteran member
Default spped

generally speaking - areas with lots of entrances and exits off a road have lower limits, and MOST towns don't want accidents due to speed.

Don't like it , stay home or fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Please tell me other than being a $$$ Money Grab $$$ what could possibly be the reason for the fluctuation of the speed limits on Route 301 from approximately Jacksonville all the way back to the ranch in Lady Lake? I've been everywhere man and one of the best trips driving-wise was ruined on the return trip when you are already wiped out from being on the road for over 8 hours and the speed limit changes 3 or 4 times in a quarter of a mile.

Tickets were flying. They seemed to be targeting people in older vehicles but who really knows? Why did they do such a fantastic job fixing the road to ruin it with speed limits like they are? Maybe there really is no answer and it's just something we have to live with.

I saw an officer who looked like Buford T. Justice writing a ticket. I did not get ticketed but am trying to tip off our TOTV'S friends to chill out when you are driving thru Mayberry on 301. Good Luck.

Anyway. What's with the speed limit fluctuation?
Old 08-04-2022, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
generally speaking - areas with lots of entrances and exits off a road have lower limits, and MOST towns don't want accidents due to speed.

Don't like it , stay home or fly.
Obviously you haven’t ever taken the route I’m speaking of because your reply of fly or stay home is our of line and has nothing to do with the question I asked.

Are you the officer who was handing out the tickets?
Old 08-04-2022, 10:07 AM

We also took these routes going north and with one exception always stayed on 75 through Atlanta. Very seldom was there a problem with backed up traffic. We usually went through there between nine am and noon. Tried the by-pass once and the amount of truck and other traffic slowed us more than going through downtown. With the superb highway markings going through Atlanta, it is easy to get into the proper lanes early and maneuver through the traffic.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,074 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldseries27 View Post
i love the blue ridge parkway and take a slow 2 day ride staying in various towns each time. Just curious as you are close have you and others done the same. Btw in series outlander saw how scottish migrated to all areas near the brp pre revolutionary war. Guess the mountains reminded them of home
Quick question, we are planning our early fall trip to the Villages and am wondering if there is a particular direction on the Blue Ridge (north or southbound) that has more spectacular views? Also, are there any particular places of interest along the Blue Ridge where we should schedule a short stop or two? Thanks.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Quick question, we are planning our early fall trip to the Villages and am wondering if there is a particular direction on the Blue Ridge (north or southbound) that has more spectacular views? Also, are there any particular places of interest along the Blue Ridge where we should schedule a short stop or two? Thanks.
So, you haven’t been in the Villages for awhile, taking potshots from afar…..
Old 08-04-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
So, you haven’t been in the Villages for awhile, taking potshots from afar…..
Do you have to physically be in the Villages to reply on the forum???
Old 08-04-2022, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
Do you have to physically be in the Villages to reply on the forum???
Nah, just jerking his chain........................
Old 08-04-2022, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartybabe View Post
You’re going through many small towns and villages on 301. Of course the speed limit will change. It’s not an interstate highway. If you want a steady 70 mph then take 75.
yes. speed limit is @ 65-70, then decreases when approaching a town by 10 mile increments, until you're on or near a main street where the limit is typically 35 until you've reach the end
Old 08-04-2022, 01:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartybabe View Post
You’re going through many small towns and villages on 301. Of course the speed limit will change. It’s not an interstate highway. If you want a steady 70 mph then take 75.

121 has two tiny towns. A reason truckers use it. Easy to drive 80 most of it
Old 08-04-2022, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,511 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Obviously you haven’t ever taken the route I’m speaking of because your reply of fly or stay home is our of line and has nothing to do with the question I asked.

Are you the officer who was handing out the tickets?
Also if you want to fly, you kinda have to get to the airport. That sorta requires that you be on the road, somewhere.

i mean unless he's offering to drive you, and then he's the one who has to deal with the ticket.

As for 301, I just watch for the speed limit signs and adjust my speed accordingly. I don't take it all the way out of the state though, just as far as the interstate highway.

Going south is a pain, on my side of the Villages - have to take 441/27 south to the highway entrance. It sounds easy right? Traffic, construction, more traffic, idiots on the road, more traffic, random construction, more idiots on the road, rinse, repeat for 1/2 hour. And that's just to get to the highway entrance.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:20 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Oh good grief!!! that episode of 60minutes aired in the 80's. having traveled 301 from here to near jacksonville more than 2 dozen times I am neither surprised by the speed limit changes(much fewer than the 1980's by the way)nor wary of supposed speed traps. if you're a driver that wants to fly the whole way then simply don't take 301. any moron can figure that out and paying attention to posted speed limits, school zones or whatever is what a driver is supposed to do!

If someone has to whine and complain about something please make it about the morons running this country into ruin in lieu of things you can control...like paying attention and not blaming others for mistakes caused by entitlement.
Closed Thread

Tags
speed, police, road, limits, limit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.