Going Vegetarian

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2019, 01:39 PM
Default Going Vegetarian

Curious to hear of experiences of anyone who became Vegetarian after eating meat for most of their life.

I have always tried to eat less meat but I really want to go full in. Just saw something that was the last straw.

This is just me personally, I do not care what others do for them.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:42 PM
Default Not sure why you are asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
Curious to hear of experiences of anyone who became Vegetarian after eating meat for most of their life.

I have always tried to eat less meat but I really want to go full in. Just saw something that was the last straw.

This is just me personally, I do not care what others do for them.
There is no shortage of books on the subject.

My view, you can tell what an animal is designed to eat by the design of their digestive system. A cow for example has three stomachs and does fine eating grass a food of low nutritional value. You due to design would starve eating grass. Oh and a cow spends most of it's time eating.

You are by design an omnivore. Designed to eat, plants and animals. Full vegetarian you will find it difficult to get enough protein. Some vegetarians will eat eggs, milk,cheese, fish others will not.

Something else to think about. If, you are married, living with someone are they willing to join you down this path.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:49 AM

My wife's cardiologist told us to start a Whole Food Plant Based diet. Google that...try the website forksoverknives.com We get plenty of protein from tofu and beans. The iron is what can be hard. The iron from meat is more easily absorbed than the plant iron. We both feel better. I have lost a lot of weight, her not as much, but she is on some meds that cause weight gain. We haven't had our blood checked since we have been on the diet, but we are hopeful that the numbers will be better. We've only been on it since mid December.

---She was only a whisky maker, but I loved her still.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:17 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Don't mind not eating meat, but I need my seafood. Eggs too.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCasey View Post
My wife's cardiologist told us to start a Whole Food Plant Based diet. Google that...try the website forksoverknives.com We get plenty of protein from tofu and beans. The iron is what can be hard. The iron from meat is more easily absorbed than the plant iron. We both feel better. I have lost a lot of weight, her not as much, but she is on some meds that cause weight gain. We haven't had our blood checked since we have been on the diet, but we are hopeful that the numbers will be better. We've only been on it since mid December.
Interesting. Thank You.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:40 PM

For encouragement, read the book BegSorry, I forgot author, but it put me on the path 5 years ago, although I have not given up chicken. I did it more for sake of the animals than health but I'm sure it's made some difference, although I pretty much just ate hamburger and bacon before.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:40 PM

Sorry, forgot to take off underlining!
Old 02-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
There is no shortage of books on the subject.

My view, you can tell what an animal is designed to eat by the design of their digestive system. A cow for example has three stomachs and does fine eating grass a food of low nutritional value. You due to design would starve eating grass. Oh and a cow spends most of it's time eating.

You are by design an omnivore. Designed to eat, plants and animals. Full vegetarian you will find it difficult to get enough protein. Some vegetarians will eat eggs, milk,cheese, fish others will not.

Something else to think about. If, you are married, living with someone are they willing to join you down this path.
Be careful of how much fat you ingest on a vegetarian diet. There are lots of wonderful recipes out there, but many are high-fat and high-calorie.

My DH is more of the Atkins variety eater--mostly meat. I never did like the taste of meat very much. We will share some side dishes but not the main dish. Fortunately, he's a prince and grills his own dinner. But you are right, it would be hard to make two separate meals all the time.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by judynlee View Post
Sorry, forgot to take off underlining!
You're forgiven! But I can't seem to find the book. Could it have another name?
Old 02-07-2019, 02:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
Curious to hear of experiences of anyone who became Vegetarian after eating meat for most of their life. I have always tried to eat less meat but I really want to go full in. Just saw something that was the last straw.
From a dietary standpoint, just reducing your meat intake (especially red meat) but continuing to eat fish and other animal protein (such as eggs and cheese) is very beneficial. This gives you maximum flexibility when cooking or eating out. And cut out as much processed meat (bacon, ham etc.) as possible.

If you want to cut out meat for "animal welfare" reasons then that just takes willpower.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,375 Times in 3,052 Posts

A vegetarian diet is 100% doable and has the potential to be a healthy dietary choice, if you do your homework and strive for food choices that are not overprocessed or filled with artificial ingredients. Dairy is permissible in a vegetarian diet, because it isn't flesh. Honey is also permissible, and it can be argued that eggs - unfertilized - are also permissible.

When you start finding difficulties is if you choose a vegan diet. Vegans are a whole nuther creature altogether. An ethical vegan will not only shun ANY foods sourced from animals - including honey, dairy, or eggs, but they will also refuse to wear anything made of leather, fur, scales, wool.

It's also important (though it hasn't come up in this thread - YET) to recall that humans are NOT "carnivores." None of them. People who eat meat are omnivores who include meat in their diet. And vegans are NOT herbivores. They are omnivores who reject any animal product or byproduct from their diet. Vegetarians are omnivores who prefer vegetable matter over animal matter, but will consume animal byproducts, such as honey.

If you're doing it for health reasons I would recommend a mediterranean diet over a vegetarian diet. Mostly vegetable matter (fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, fungii, rice) but also including fish, a small amount of whole grain (think: oatmeal) and enjoying a minimal amount of poultry, eggs, and dairy. The fresher the better for all of it, the more processed, the less you should consume. So bake your own peasant bread, don't fry your fish, make grits or oatmeal from scratch - not from a package "just add water and stir."
Old 02-07-2019, 11:03 PM
Veteran member

My Post, I was vegetarian for about three years when I was in my thirties. It was hard for me emotionally/psychologically because I felt deprived. It was a fuss to go out to eat and figure out what was available, ask for substitutions, etc. People need to be dedicated and determined. I stopped for health reasons unrelated to diet, but I'm not sure I would have been able to stick with it anyway. I didn't feel any different/better, to be honest.
Closed Thread

Tags
meat, vegetarian, straw, personally, full

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.