Efficiency of Gas vs. Electric in the Villages area

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Veteran member
Default Efficiency of Gas vs. Electric in the Villages area

Does anyone have current info on the differences in costs for running gas furnace, gas stove, gas hot water heater compared to all electric?
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 02-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Efficiency of Gas vs. Electric in the Villages area

Sorry, no help here. The north side actually doesn't have any gas lines, so no option but electric. sigh

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-09-2008, 10:27 PM

gfmucci
I'm not sure about the exact efficiency numbers but a few years back I converted our whole house to gas in central NY. At the time there was no question about what was cheaper. The gas was by far cheaper. However that gap has narrowed some but still true. There were other advantages I looked at which included installing a gas fireplace that could operate with or without electric as a back up heat source. Also now you can install back up generators that will operate off natural gas. We had furnace, dryer, stove & hotwater all converted and never once missed the high electric bills.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:38 PM

Assuming elec cost of .10/kwh/3412btu and gas cost of .03/3412btu it is almost 1/3 the cost of electric you could probably increase the gas cost by another .01 if you take into consideration the slightly lower efficiency of gas vs elec. but there is no question that gas is cheaper. I assumed a gas cost of $8.50/mmbtu for comparison I'm not sure exactly what it costs here as it is not available where I live, but if it was I would convert. Another thing you might look at if you are replacing existing equipment is a gas or electric on demand unit which only makes hot water when you are using it, they have come a long way in the last 10 years.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G

We now have gas, water heater, furnace, and dryer. Why they didn't put in a gas range, who knows, they put in an electric range. In our other house in Mira Mesa, it was total electric. Gas is a lot cheaper. Since there are no children around, I turned up the water heater higher so as to use less hot water and more cold. I found this out when I used to RV a lot. Our water heater doesn't run very often.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We're all gas in our home in TV and everything I've ever read said gas was much cheaper.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.