Golfing outside of the Villages.

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2020, 08:32 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Golf course

Executive golf is free. If you are satisfied playing just executive, you will be fine.

If you want to play championship, you have 2 options: Get a priority membership and then fees are reduced. If you don't want a priority, rates are higher.

I believe (my opinion) that rates without a priority are too high, and I am happy to move around and play a variety of courses.

Others are not.

It is your choice (neither is right or wrong).
Old 03-10-2020, 08:33 AM

$$$
Old 03-10-2020, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lululemondrop View Post
This is a newbie question...and not being snarky...I thought part of the reason to move to TV was for the inclusive, convenient golf? What happened?
$64 for 18 holes January thru April, that's the problem, and you're driving your own cart. May thru December I have no problem with $34. Of course a priority membership would knock that down to $47, but after paying $740 if you only play once or twice a week, you don't come out ahead. I play once a week and try not to think about it until I get on this board.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:56 AM

I play outside Championship courses exclusively and all of them are 30%-50% cheaper than the Villages courses. Harbor Hills, Eagle Ridge, Monarch at Royal Highlands, Arlington Ridge, Ocala Golf Club, Ocala National, Spruce Creek Preserve, and Stone Creek just to name a few.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:15 AM
Default Golf Courses outside The Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalla View Post
Looking for recommendations for quality golf courses outside of the Villages. Close by, reasonably priced and in relatively good condition.

Thanks.
Juliette Falls and Redtail are two of the best courses outside TV. Played Eagle Ridge yesterday and except for a few bad greens it is in good condition.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
This is a newbie question...and not being snarky...I thought part of the reason to move to TV was for the inclusive, convenient golf? What happened?
The Executive Courses are Convenient and Inclusive (Free daily access to making tee times for all TV Residents but if you drive a cart vs walking you will need to pay an annual “Trail Fee” of $145 per household)

Championship Course locations are also Convenient but you have always needed to pay a Resident Fee each time you play. Many posters on TOTV feel the fees to play the Championship courses are too expensive. (I do not. I understood what the fee structure was before I moved here and found it acceptable).
Old 03-10-2020, 09:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
$64 for 18 holes January thru April, that's the problem, and you're driving your own cart. May thru December I have no problem with $34. Of course a priority membership would knock that down to $47, but after paying $740 if you only play once or twice a week, you don't come out ahead. I play once a week and try not to think about it until I get on this board.
I totally agree! You can go outside TV & play a lot cheaper. But when we lived there 99% of the time I played the Executive courses. I always was told your short game & putting is what lowers your score, not how far you can hit it to impress someone.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
That’s an easy question to answer. Since we moved here what happened is that thousands and thousands of new homes were built but not a single hole of Championship Golf has been added. On top of that, the green fees for Championship Golf (especially in the winter) have gone up substantially more than the price for typical goods and services.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
Eagle Ridge good shape, very close. Juliett Falls in great shape, little farther drive but always worth it.
Thanks!
Old 03-10-2020, 11:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
Some of the courses listed are absolutely terrible.
Agree !! As one example, Spruce Creek South ??? I wouldn’t go there if it were FREE !!! 😱
Old 03-10-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
For most of us, nothing happened. I know of two reasons people go outside of The Villages for golf:

1. More variety, especially for many of us who have been here for several years and played The Villages many times.

2. This time of the year some will travel outside The Villages to get a more desirable tee time and/or take advantage of green fees which are lower than the "high season" rates here.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, golfing, priced, condition, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.